• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.5

GA ARTISTS POLL  

231 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

164 posts in this topic

When you say they don't "work" I have to push back. LB Cole made a living off of reprinted material that was gussied up by new covers that he drew. While it might not be to your personal taste (as limited as that is :baiting: ), clearly it "worked" for a portion of the buying public back then and for the GA comic collectors today.

IT'S

JUST

MY

OPINION!!!

:sumo:

Philistine.

I was wondering when LB Cole Fanboy #1 would show up. hm

I am back from my travels and am still weeping at the early departure of wolverton - the van gogh of comics. Deeply personal images in a style unlike anything that came before. So sad...so sad..

this round I booted Kirby, Heath & Williamson. All great artists, thats why they are here, but none can compare to the looming giants. Though, personally speaking I'd take a good Heath cover over many of the artists who are left.

this round I booted Kirby, Heath & Williamson. All great artists, thats why they are here, but none can compare to the looming giants.

:mad:

Though, personally speaking I'd take a good Heath cover over many of the artists who are left.

(thumbs u

Oh, and I meant to mention. I have very disappointed (even though I can't say I'm surprised) that Jack Cole is receiving so many votes. More votes than L.B. Cole!?! Come on.

Williamson is receiving less votes than Jack Cole!?! I'd be fine with that if Crandall received even less votes than Williamson. Forget where Cole falls but Williamson over Crandall is not right IMO. Don't get me wrong, Williamson is an incredible artist, probably better than Wood overall but there shouldn't be that much discrepancy with Crandall. Plus, we've been knocking Frazetta (or at least some of us have tried) for his small output ... Where in the world was all that Williamson GA art published? I know that soon my sights will be on Williamson ...

What he said (thumbs u

When you say they don't "work" I have to push back. LB Cole made a living off of reprinted material that was gussied up by new covers that he drew. While it might not be to your personal taste (as limited as that is :baiting: ), clearly it "worked" for a portion of the buying public back then and for the GA comic collectors today.

IT'S

JUST

MY

OPINION!!!

:sumo:

Philistine.

I was wondering when LB Cole Fanboy #1 would show up. hm

:blush:

I am back from my travels and am still weeping at the early departure of wolverton - the van gogh of comics. Deeply personal images in a style unlike anything that came before. So sad...so sad.. (snip)

Van Gogh? I can see that. A new way to look at Wolverton. I've always seen him as an Albrecht Durer/Pieter Bruegel kind of guy.

(from the GCD)

941_4_3.jpg

(both from metmuseum.org)

hb_1973209.jpg

hb_267234.jpg

I agree with the durer/bruegel comparisons as well, I just think they worked much closer to the vernacular of their times, where as Wolverton was completely out of left field, similar to the way van gogh was.

I saw a show of durer etchings & wood cuts at the New Orleans Museum over the summer, they are just unimaginably well done when you see them in person! (worship)

This poll is only going to get harder, isn't it? It's hard enough for me to decide what to have for lunch, let alone voting off some of the names once this starts to get smaller and smaller.

This poll is only going to get harder, isn't it? It's hard enough for me to decide what to have for lunch, let alone voting off some of the names once this starts to get smaller and smaller.

:gossip: Send me a PM and I'll tell you who to vote against. This offer is available to one and all. :devil:

at this point it's just personal preference for me, in descending order. for instance, i've never really been a fan of Matt Baker (hush, you) and so will be voting for him next round even though he clearly has the rep and ability to fit in someone's top five

I agree with the durer/bruegel comparisons as well, I just think they worked much closer to the vernacular of their times, where as Wolverton was completely out of left field, similar to the way van gogh was.

I saw a show of durer etchings & wood cuts at the New Orleans Museum over the summer, they are just unimaginably well done when you see them in person! (worship)

Yeah, they're just crazy good. Standing in front of a DaVinci notebook page is also a mind-bending experience.

Your work's great. "Back and to the Left" is fantastic.

Ever read Ed the Happy Clown? If not, that book might be something you'd want to check out.

at this point it's just personal preference for me, in descending order. for instance, i've never really been a fan of Matt Baker (hush, you) and so will be voting for him next round even though he clearly has the rep and ability to fit in someone's top five

Surprisingly, not mine.

1.Will Eisner

2.Carl Barks

3.Walt Kelly

4.Jack Cole

5. Bill Everett

Yeah, they're just crazy good. Standing in front of a DaVinci notebook page is also a mind-bending experience.

Your work's great. "Back and to the Left" is fantastic.

Ever read Ed the Happy Clown? If not, that book might be something you'd want to check out.

Thanks Doc, I appreciate it!

I discovered Ed the Happy clown in High school, and have never been the same since! Really opened my eyes to what you could do with absurd storytelling. (thumbs u

someone needs to post some killer barks pages, he has WAY too many votes! Anything from poor old man or golden helmet or something like that anyone can post?

Barks, isn't he the guy who drew books for little kids featuring pantsless ducks meh