• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How high will Metropolis Comics climb on the Registry?

20 posts in this topic

This morning I find myself down a few spots in the Registry rankings. One of the guys bumping me down was Metropolis Comics. I decided to take a look at his books and was amazed to find that he only listed titles starting with the letter "A". This left me wondering if Metropolis will be taking over the NUMBER ONE spot in the rankings. When the dust settles, where do you think he will rank?

is it Vince's personal collection or just a show off for sale ad?

Vincent doesn't collect.

Vincent doesn't collect.

He has certainly purchased books he likes and has held on to them despite interest on the part of others in purchasing them.

Vincent doesn't collect.

He has certainly purchased books he likes and has held on to them despite interest on the part of others in purchasing them.

That's called INVESTING.

Am I missing something?

Is this the collectors society or Dealers society?

Of course the dealer is going to have the highest points[in many cases with books they dont even own].It throws off the intire idea of getting a feel for what collectors have by including dealers.

Am I missing something?

Of course the dealer is going to have the highest points[in many cases with books they dont even own].It throws off the intire idea of getting a feel for what collectors have by including dealers.

At some point, doesn't every serious collector sell books? Where do you draw the line between dealer and collector? I certainly see myself as a collector, even though I usually sell about $100,000.00 worth of books each year (Usually for very little profit). I would never argue that Metropolis is a collector, but I am curious where the board members draw the line.

Am I missing something?

At some point, doesn't every serious collector sell books? Where do you draw the line between dealer and collector? I certainly see myself as a collector, even though I usually sell about $100,000.00 worth of books each year (Usually for very little profit). I would never argue that Metropolis is a collector, but I am curious where the board members draw the line.

I am curious about this as well. I am a dealer as well as a collector. I was thinking of adding some of my books to the registry, then looking at it I see alot of people that I suspect are just adding inventory to the registry, not personal collections. So what do I do here? List store stock for higher visibility for my business and win some awards, or just list stuff from my personal collection?

Am I missing something?

I am curious about this as well. I am a dealer as well as a collector. I was thinking of adding some of my books to the registry, then looking at it I see alot of people that I suspect are just adding inventory to the registry, not personal collections. So what do I do here? List store stock for higher visibility for my business and win some awards, or just list stuff from my personal collection?

If the store owns the book, it goes under the store account. If it's an employee's book, or the owner's book, it goes under their account(s). I don't personally see a problem with a company spending time to keep up with their registry sets for the purposes of marketing. I do have a problem with a store owner consolidating their own collections with their store stock, as it is a misrepresentation

Am I missing something?

I have no problem with a dealer posting his own books in the registry even if he decides to sell them. I do have a problem if a dealer posts his inventory if they are not actually his but are consignments. The registry is meant for people to share their collections not peddle their wares.

I agree with a lot of people on the board. A dealer my certainly register any set that he owns and has in his own inventory whether it’s personal or selling at that moment. I definitely do not agree with a dealer who has my book on consignment and uses it to gain registry points. If a dealer is going to use their inventory in the registry then it’s their responsibility to update the sets once they have sold items because I would hate to buy something from Metropolis and try to register the comic in my set and it not work because the dealer still has the book registered under their name. I know you can resolve that that issue, but its annoying.

Now morally I think a dealer like metro should NOT register their comic inventory because I think its does take away from the separation of collector/dealer because if every major dealer registered their books in their inventory then all of us would go down a huge notch on the CGC registry ranking. I don’t see Doug from Pedigree registering his web site inventory, I just see him registry what he owns in his personal collection. And that board members is morally in my opinion the way to go. :headbang:

Off course the dealer have the right to do what ever, but in the fun of collecting and have a good relationship with regular collectors like you and me then they should just only register their personal collection NOT their inventory! rantrant

Snoooogins!!!

Am I missing something?

As long as they are yours, list whatever you want. People's opinions vary greatly on this one. IMHO, do whatever you want to. I like it when people look at my Registry and offer me books I might need. I like knowing who has dupes of books that I need (Hi John). I also have had a Registry stalker that ended up leading to a fun trade. (Hi Darth) Many people feel exactly the opposite. Obscuring the list to the public is even an option for those that desire it.

I say who cares about points and who cares about the line between dealer and collector. None of that matters to me. I love having a comprehensive checklist and a way to keep in touch with fellow collectors, many of whom, despite sometimes being competition, have led me to many great deals. Do whatever you want to with listing your books. Screw anyone that has a problem and don't be upset if you get a PM from me if you have anything I want. :foryou:

I believe that dealers have as much a right to list their personal books as anyone else. I just hope that if they sell the book that they update their sets accordingly. I would do the same if I sold a book from one of my sets. Also, I don't look on this site for comics to buy. The dealers usually have pretty good sites setup for their sales books.

I agree that dealers should have the same rights to post their books on the registry as anyone else. However, I am still seeing at least one book that they continue to have logged on the registry, which were sold. It would be nice if they removed it.