• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman#1 - "glue at staple" - help!!

99 posts in this topic

A new Metropolis Pile on I see.

Metropolis disclosed the glue

Obviously Metropolis should have measured the amount of glue and applied the CGC rule of glue which is tiny dot (Define that term for me boys) if I've read the back of the label correctly.

Bigger than CGC rule of tiny - Purple, CGC's definition of Tiny - Blue.

Now boys, if Glue is glue than ALL and I mean ALL of those blue label books with GLUE should be in purple holders.

wouldn't it have been funny if he'd stopped typing at "a new metropolis pile?"

Obviously Metropolis should have measured the amount of glue and applied the CGC rule of glue which is tiny dot (Define that term for me boys) if I've read the back of the label correctly.

Now boys, if Glue is glue than ALL and I mean ALL of those blue label books with GLUE should be in purple holders.

wouldn't it have been funny if he'd stopped typing at "a new metropolis pile?"

I find it funny regardless.

(shrug) I have a chance at a Batman #1 - everything seems to be in order. Affordable enough grade for my budget, not restored, OW/white to OW pages described as "very nice", no colour touch, no cleaning, and no evidence of rice paper. Only thing mentioned is that "someone has put glue at the staple". In your experts' opinions, is this worrisome enough to possibly call "restoration" when/if ever graded by CGC , or should I not be worried at all ??

Your thankful Board Member FISHBONE

This is from my today's email to fishbone. These are the exact words:

Someone has put glue at the staple. Otherwise, it is unrestored. It is possible that the glue at be removed but we have chose not to do that (maybe we should). The book has no color touch, has not been cleaned, and has no rice paper. The pages are very nice. Either ow/white or off-white.

S

So...other than the restoration it is unrestored?

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Gosh how I love your wit Mr. Bedrock! You're the greatest!

Hey Bob, nice to see you on the GA Forums, where everyone loves everyone else and its all snuggly bunnies and cuddly teddy bears. :cloud9:

Seriously though, you have a point. Metro is disclosing what was done and/or whats there on the book itself. The potential buyer has the disclosure, the price, and I presume, a scan of the book.

If that's inadequate enough info to making a decision, then go look for a Bat # 1 already sitting in a CGC holder if you're concerned about the glue.

Personally, I don't like to buy high dollar books (silver or Gold) not in a CGC holder, but that clearly doesn't hold true for most GA collectors who frequently transact in raw books of considerable expense.

It sounds like there is enough information here to make an informed buying decision, and Metro has done their part. Don't they also have a return policy that would apply here in case the buyer was not happy upon receipt?

I agree with JTMF. They have done their due diligence in my view.

After almost waking the whole family in uncontrollable laughter after reading the responses, I must thank you all - you guys are the best! Stephen saw (and I'm sure is reading now) the boards obviously, and he called me today. I think his stance is that full disclosure was made -- my only problem, if you could call it that, is that I feel Metro has always clearly stated "r" with a description of the book when it was obviously restored. But is glue at a staple "obviously" restored is the $10,000 question ?? I think Stephen has a duty as the seller to use positive, attractive descriptions to sell the book while somehow disclosing the truth as well. I'm not sure a complete neophyte wouldn't be confused -- I'm a realtive neophyte and I wasn't sure. The book is VG- according to Stephen, FYI, and the staple is still there, but apparently glue is on outside cover on staple and also a small amount inside cover. My intent, as always, is to collect -- not buy and flip for $$. I intend to keep my collection for a looooong time. But a Batman #1 is a Batman #1 and a CGC grading may be in order at some point to enhance such a key book. So, I have to make a decision wrt this very key GA book and consider the very points you have all made today. Take a chance on a nice copy that may be purple, or maybe get the glue removed, lower the grade, but have a blue book........I have to decide whether I drop a significant amount on this or move on....

Thanks again guys -- will let you know what happens as always

FISH :wishluck:

hey fish

metro has a nice vg bat 1 attractively priced on their site...have you considered that one?...I believe it came with that wonderful run of high grade bats last year (though ,I might be mistaken)

more than just a very small drop of glue on a spine will get you a purple label from cgc, though you could have the glue removed, and archival tape used to secure the cover (will likely get 3.0 at most, from cgc, from my experience, so that could impact your decision on purchase)

just a little input

rick

Just been through the thread and there is one thing missing from this discussion and that is a discussion about the price.

If Metro have disclosed all the work done on the book and the assumption here is it is just the glue the question is simply whether that price reflects the disclosure.

So if the glue makes the book a PLOD is the price consistent with a slight resto price?

If price reflects disclosure and you are happy with the condition and look of the book buy it. If not or you want to wait to see if a better book per buck appears don't buy it.

Just been through the thread and there is one thing missing from this discussion and that is a discussion about the price.

If Metro have disclosed all the work done on the book and the assumption here is it is just the glue the question is simply whether that price reflects the disclosure.

So if the glue makes the book a PLOD is the price consistent with a slight resto price?

If price reflects disclosure and you are happy with the condition and look of the book buy it. If not or you want to wait to see if a better book per buck appears don't buy it.

Well said George (thumbs u

I also feel the gang at Metro have done their due diligence here. Speaking from experience. I have inquired about a few books ( both small items and big ticket ) and have had nothing but upfront, honest answers from Vince via email on them right away.

To me...these guys go the distance in customer service...I've never been let down by them.

Just finished closing a deal with them on a small GA grail that I can't wait to post !!!! I know Angelo ( the Watcher ) will appreciate it :banana:

While closing that deal I inquired on another book and the level of restoration to it and Vince told me everything about it very promptly via email.

I'll be dealing with them for a very long time to come (thumbs u

Thanks,

by the way have a couple more pre-Hero Tecs on the way

Thanks,

by the way have a couple more pre-Hero Tecs on the way

oh George you didn't have to get me anything for my birthday

(:

I also feel the gang at Metro have done their due diligence here. Speaking from experience. I have inquired about a few books ( both small items and big ticket ) and have had nothing but upfront, honest answers from Vince via email on them right away.

To me...these guys go the distance in customer service...I've never been let down by them.

Just finished closing a deal with them on a small GA grail that I can't wait to post !!!! I know Angelo ( the Watcher ) will appreciate it :banana:

While closing that deal I inquired on another book and the level of restoration to it and Vince told me everything about it very promptly via email.

Here's my thoughts on it. Since it's the age of cgc and evryone keeps saying they won't buy a big book unless it's cgc'd and since Batman 1 is a big book, make sure the book will get a blue label before commiting to buy it. In fact tell them you'll buy it if they cgc it and it comes back Blue. That way you won't be out the cgc fee. Now I imaginge metro is pretty smart and if that book would go blue they would have had it cgc'd already. So it seems to me that you'll be buying a book that you might have a hard time selling when the time comes. Ask yourself what metro would say to you if you called them wanting to sell a purple label Batman 1.

I'm not sure what the issue is, beyond the original question (would CGC consider it resto? answer: yes). They've shown a scan, they've disclosed the glue, they've priced it accordingly. If it turns out there's color touch or a tear seal or something like that, then sure, the buyer would have a right to a refund. But I don't see why they should be obligated to refund money if the book comes back from CGC with a purple label that says "glue on spine". And if it didn't have the glue in the first place it would be priced higher, I imagine, reflecting the difference in value between unrestored and slightly restored.

If this weren't Metro it wouldn't have created such a polarized discussion, I suspect.

Here's my thoughts on it. Since it's the age of cgc and evryone keeps saying they won't buy a big book unless it's cgc'd and since Batman 1 is a big book, make sure the book will get a blue label before commiting to buy it. In fact tell them you'll buy it if they cgc it and it comes back Blue. That way you won't be out the cgc fee. Now I imaginge metro is pretty smart and if that book would go blue they would have had it cgc'd already. So it seems to me that you'll be buying a book that you might have a hard time selling when the time comes. Ask yourself what metro would say to you if you called them wanting to sell a purple label Batman 1.

Very good point here - I think Met knows the hobby well enough to know that book would come back PLOD, else they'd have submitted it already.

I'm not sure what the issue is, beyond the original question (would CGC consider it resto? answer: yes). They've shown a scan, they've disclosed the glue, they've priced it accordingly. If it turns out there's color touch or a tear seal or something like that, then sure, the buyer would have a right to a refund. But I don't see why they should be obligated to refund money if the book comes back from CGC with a purple label that says "glue on spine". And if it didn't have the glue in the first place it would be priced higher, I imagine, reflecting the difference in value between unrestored and slightly restored.

If this weren't Metro it wouldn't have created such a polarized discussion, I suspect.

Another very good point. It's not like they're trying to hide anything here - I think the original poster just wondered why the "r" wasn't put by the item listing. Which is a valid question.