• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.9

GA ARTISTS POLL  

237 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

72 posts in this topic

Sad that Barks has lasted this long. He is a very important creator/writer, but to compare his body of work to some of the others left, and those who have gone before him, in my opinion leaves him wanting.

There! Some debate.

Actually, I don't disagree and will likely be voting Barks out in the next round (assuming he's not voted out this round).

I started it off with Barks and Schomburg. I gave the nod to Schomburg only because I like Everett's precode work soooo much. Tough call for me, though.

Atlas era Everett is what keeps him alive for me - beautiful stuff. If it were just 1940s stuff we were voting on, he would have been long gone. This could have easily been broken into two contests - one for pre-war and war era GA - and another for post-war/pre-code work - some artists would show up on both lists of course, but stylistically the look of comics changed a lot from the late 30s to the early 50s.

Sad that Barks has lasted this long. He is a very important creator/writer, but to compare his body of work to some of the others left, and those who have gone before him, in my opinion leaves him wanting.

There! Some debate.

ANTI-DUCKIST ZOMBIE!!

Cripes, that's the stupidest statement I've ever read, you dateless geek!!

There ya' go. Now it's more like the other Survivor polls.

I'm not going to fall into the fallacy of most popular = best GA artist, but it's probably a safe bet that more Barks books were sold and more people have seen his comic-book work than any other artist in the competition. Possibly more people have seen Kelly's overall body of work than any other artist in the competition. Was there anyone else with a long-running, popular syndicated strip? Eisner's Spirit, I suppose, but I don't think it was anywhere near as widely distributed as Pogo.

Jack

I started it off with Barks and Schomburg. I gave the nod to Schomburg only because I like Everett's precode work soooo much. Tough call for me, though.

Atlas era Everett is what keeps him alive for me - beautiful stuff. If it were just 1940s stuff we were voting on, he would have been long gone. This could have easily been broken into two contests - one for pre-war and war era GA - and another for post-war/pre-code work - some artists would show up on both lists of course, but stylistically the look of comics changed a lot from the late 30s to the early 50s.

Very true, Heath pre- 1950's not too appealing. But man, does his 1950+ work just look fantastic. I wonder if he had a mentor that he was learning from, or influence. Because his style just drastically improved over the span of a few years.

There! Some debate.

ANTI-DUCKIST ZOMBIE!!

I'm not going to fall into the fallacy of most popular = best GA artist, but it's probably a safe bet that more Barks books were sold and more people have seen his comic-book work than any other artist in the competition. Possibly more people have seen Kelly's overall body of work than any other artist in the competition. Was there anyone else with a long-running, popular syndicated strip? Eisner's Spirit, I suppose, but I don't think it was anywhere near as widely distributed as Pogo.

Jack

Given the choices, and these are all great artists, I can't see kicking off Barks at this stage for the reasons given by Jack. He's been a world-wide phenomenon for decades with an all-ages audience, adored by adolescents and academics. If I share comics with the family everyone from nieces/nephews to my dad (mom won't read comics) will read Bark's comics -- and they'll fight over who gets to read them first.

This is a "favorite" artists so we all get to pick what that means but my preference for a top 5 grouping would need to include artists that excelled at the complete package of story, art, and covers because as much as I enjoy covers, I want to see a great cover and then have an even better experience reading the story inside.

Very true, Heath pre- 1950's not too appealing. But man, does his 1950+ work just look fantastic. I wonder if he had a mentor that he was learning from, or influence. Because his style just drastically improved over the span of a few years.

When you work in comics you do a lot of drawing -- artists with talent that apply themselves get good very quickly. Heath did not have any specific mentor during this (based on recollections of several conversations plus interviews I've read). In the latter part of the 60s he did have an assistant that did help him some aspects of design and composition.

There! Some debate.

ANTI-DUCKIST ZOMBIE!!

Jack

Karl Barks is my favorite artist. If I were stranded on an island and could only have the books of one of these artist, I choose Barks.

Schomburg (again) and Everett (again). Maybe Fine next to go.

Observation regarding Barks. Drew AND wrote Ducks for yonks but the important thing to remember is WHO was buying the Duck books.

It wasn't kids. It was Mums and Dads buying the comics FOR the chillun. Why this distinction?

As one gets older and given more latitude especially with regard to purchases the "kid stuff" is the first to go. Ducks are abandoned for "cool" superheroes at that critical point of self-awareness and growing independence.

Was anyone here buying Ducks at 13?

My point is that an appreciation of Barks and his work as a rule only happens once reviewed later in life. In the "here and now", when reading them at age 7, it just doesn't register how good they are.

Just my 12c

this is gettting nuts. I went with schommy & wood. I can't believe how long wood has held strong. Oh Carl, I hope you hang on at least one more round! More joy has been brought to me via your work then anyone else. I am also shocked, but pleased that everett has held so strong, that chompy is damn good!

oh... I am drunk, but I stand by my picks...

There! Some debate.

ANTI-DUCKIST ZOMBIE!!

Jack

Karl Barks is my favorite artist. If I were stranded on an island and could only have the books of one of these artist, I choose Barks.

Since he is your favorite you might want to learn how to spell his name.lol

There! Some debate.

ANTI-DUCKIST ZOMBIE!!

Jack

Since he is your favorite you might want to learn how to spell his name.lol

I never claimed to be a good first name speller. Show me where I've claimed that. Also....I was hit on the head as a kid and sometimes get letters mixed up.I'm not even slightly embarassed. :sick:

There! Some debate.

Bill I have to say, no comics have made me smile more then Barks. And yes, part of that is the writing of course, but there are panels & Sequences, that have never been topped IMHO. Reading Barks is like a window into the average man's soul, his longings & aspirations. And sometimes it's just the expression in a panel.