• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if you had $8000 to spend?

58 posts in this topic

I would definitely recommend getting a mid-grade AF #15 as well.. Very good long term investments and the best SA book in my opinion.

I am glad so many people are saying this,

because I just did this same thing with around the same

amount of money.

I must admit I bought the AF though because I loved the book,

and in my mind I don't ever want to part with it no matter what it is

worth moneterally...

:cloud9:

Original Art Is What I would buy for the long term...Anything Kirby or Ditko Splash pages superhero or even pre Superhero Monster stuff. If you are patient you could still get something nice for your 8,000.00. You will have a one of a kind peice literally And Kirby /Ditko stuff seems to increase every year.

Thanks for all the input. Either an AF 15 or ASM 1 would be nice but I have to admit that original art by Ditko or especially Kirby who has always been my all time favorite would be very special. I see that Comic Link has art for sale. Are there other places on the net to look?

I also want to tell everyone what an incredible site this is for someone like myself who has really been out of the comics hobby for so long. The rules have changed and with the net there are a lot of ways to get burned.

I got into comics back in 1965 here in Toronto. There was an area of town that was then mostly populated by what we called "dirty" book stores. One of the owners of one of those stores, who was by the way himself a "paperback writer," started hanging his own collection up for sale - dozens and dozens of golden age gems - GL's, All Winners, Captain America's along with his stacks of Playboys and whatever. I was 14 at the time and a friend of mine told me about this amazing place. So I would sneak down there (if my father had ever found out where I was going he would have laid a whooping on me) to look and buy (AF 15 for the outrageous price of $5!!) A friend of mine and I published what might well be the first Marvel Comics check list on an old hand crank Gestetner machine. Unbelievably if you google my name (Kerry) and Marvel Comics Checklist there is a reference (talk about arcane information.)

Anyway, nice to meet you all and thanks for wising up an old comics geek.

I'm in a unique situation and would like some opinions. I have around $8000 (based on selling off some late 60's DC's and Marvels and want to re-invest the money. If you had an opportunity like this and were thinking of it as an investment would you put the money into 1 book, 2, 3 or more? Would you restrict your search to sure fire CGC books or look for raw? What book or books would you be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your input.

As usual, I'm late to the party.

You may want to look at what Sckao and I are working at here Comic Price Index It's shows what CGC key books in the $300 to $3000 price range have done the last few years in terms of value. LMK what you think!

Before I did the work for the index, I would have advised you to stick with high grade books for investment reasons.

I now believe that it is the importance of the key that is most important. That is, a super key, even in lower grade, is likely to appreciate in value. A non-key or a weaker key, even in high grade, may be an inferior investment.

Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda. That is fascinating research. What possessed you to put in all that work? Is this the sort of research work that you do in your day to day professional life?

Thanks Dr. K. Well, I've been semi-retired for the last few months. I had written and posted an "About the Author" article on the blog. I will probably post it in the next couple of weeks. Then you can learn all about me. :acclaim:

I worked for over 20 years in engineering R&D. Yes, I did a lot of analysis and modeling. I guess I like making models and the SCPI is a model of the SA comic book market.

What possessed me? :insane: "Possessed" is right! I did it because it's fun! lol Seriously though, I have looked for some kind of objective measurement over the last few years and have found very little. The Overstreet Guide discusses movement in comic prices in very general terms. I thought that something more exact was possible.

Some of the early work on the index was discusssed here .

I guess at the core of it, I felt that the someone really needed to step up and do something like this.

I know that there's not supposed to be such a thing a stupid question but what is this strange language you speak? Okay I know what AF is but what is "marvel chipping" and "PQ" and "ow"? .

PQ = Page Quality

ow = Off White

marvel chipping: ... chips of color that come off at the cut edges (top, right and bottom) of a comic book.

Not dumb questions at all.