• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if you had $8000 to spend?

58 posts in this topic

I would use that $8K and short some internet stocks. some of the big ones are experiencing multiples as absurd as in 1999/2000.

Is that a second bubble I hear bursting? hm

Or if you don't want to short anything, go long on BCON. It is the energy grid's future. (thumbs u For full disclosure, I'm 13,000 shares long.

I would use that $8K and short some internet stocks. some of the big ones are experiencing multiples as absurd as in 1999/2000.

Or if you don't want to short anything, go long on BCON. It is the energy grid's future. (thumbs u For full disclosure, I'm 13,000 shares long.

I'll wait till after the lawsuit is settled.

I'll wait till after the lawsuit is settled.

Might be a good idea for a new investor. Just so you know though, it looks to be a frivolous lawsuit.

I'm in a unique situation and would like some opinions. I have around $8000 (based on selling off some late 60's DC's and Marvels and want to re-invest the money. If you had an opportunity like this and were thinking of it as an investment would you put the money into 1 book, 2, 3 or more? Would you restrict your search to sure fire CGC books or look for raw? What book or books would you be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Pick up a nice mid grade AF#15 with good page quality. Should be a good bet.

the first and simplest response and maybe the best, as well................ hm

buy 12,000 dollar books! (with 8K, you should be able to buy 8,000, get 4,000 "free") And then you can spend the rest of your natural life busting up the group and selling them one by one....

ummmmm...right now it is .57 cents over the one year target est. Thats alot of wood your laying on this bet! Good Luck!

ummmmm...right now it is .57 cents over the one year target est. Thats alot of wood your laying on this bet! Good Luck!

That estimate is at least a year old. I'm up 50% on it, so no worries there.

Research their testing with Sandia National Laboratories and the backing they have from the Dept. of Energy, and also look into David Gelbaum (Quercus Trust) and see who he is and how much he owns. Almost 9 million shares I think, and he just recently purchased more last week, in fact on the day the lawsuit was filed I think. This company has huge upside potential, but I don't want to derail this thread any further so this is the last I will say about it. Do your own due diligence if interested. :blahblah:

There's an old saying about buying steak when its on sale (or stocks, or real estate, etc), and I try to adopt that philosophy to my comic buying as well.

I currently own books that really aren't part of my long term collecting goals (for instance, a Superman # 11 in CGC 9.0) but the price was just too good on a rare and attractive book and I decided to make it mine. It was a value purchase, and one I can always use as trade bait down the road for other material I need/want.

That's my philosophy when purchasing books, looking for opportunities to pay less than the next guy. I employ the same philosophy with real estate and stocks, buying on weakness/opportunity.

So, my advice to you as a long term collector is to put that money in a money market account or high yield savings account and approach your buying patiently.

Don't pay full market, and certainly don't set any GPA records. This hobby is such that almost every book comes around again if you're patient enough. Be flexible with your buying.

Ebay is a great place to pick stuff up on the cheap. So are shows. For ebay, use a rewards card through Paypal...at least get a small percentage of your purchase back to offset stuff like shipping expenses, GPA subscription (must have if you're buying certified books) etc.

Then get ready to throw a couple of low ball (10-30% off last GPA sale) bids in on books you want on sites like ebay, Comiclink, Pedigree, etc. Sure you might only score 1 book in 10 bids, but the savings are generally worth it. Auctions in particular are great, because you never know whats going to happen with a book. Just make sure you establish your "top" price and stick with it, don't get caught up in the bidding frenzy.

I bid on a dozen books in the Comiclink auction last night, but only scored one. Still, it is a great book that I was able to purchase under guide (High grade Schomburg airbrush cover, OW/W pages, etc.)

Thrillingcomics68cgc90owwfront.jpg

Remember, if you have $8k to spend, and you're able to buy books consistently at an average 20% discount, you're collection will be closer to $10k in value by the time you spend your last dollar.

Just be patient, and the deals will come to you....

Very well put.To me those Schomburg airbrush cover are a real bargin.I believe Steve(showcase-4) bought some awesome wonder comics at roughly 100.00 each.

D

First thing I'd do is take a few hundred dollars off the top to take my wife out to an expensive dinner, and let her do a little shopping. Happy wife = Husband who can continue to buy comics :grin:

I would evaluate your collecting habits and see what your needs are: titles, grades, etc. As a low-grade Silver, mid-grade Bronze, and high-grade Copper ASM collector, I could probably fill the rest of the holes in my entire run with that PLUS buy up some "trading" material as JiveTurkey suggested.

And yeah- a nice readable copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 would definitely be at the top of my list.