• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Collector's Tale

10 posts in this topic

Nope, not my story.

Heritage just sent out issue #1 of a magazine for collector's and I thought that part of the story of one collector was interesting enough to post. The collector is Jim O'Neal who was the former CEO of Frito-Lay. Hopefully, they won't mind me posting. :foryou:

CoinCollecting2.jpg

CoinCollecting01.jpg

Many of us would love to have $4-5 million to spend on our hobbies!!

Here's a tale of a collector from an old news clipping. i hope all of you are able to read it from the less than perfect scan. anyone recognize this collector or know what happened to his collection?

j

comicarticlelg.jpg

Here's a tale of a collector from an old news clipping. i hope all of you are able to read it from the less than perfect scan. anyone recognize this collector or know what happened to his collection?

What a sad read that was eek.gif

It really was :( I'm sure he's not the only one with a story like that, either. As collectors we always want more, more, more but sometimes more is not what we need..

Sometimes a man's obsession can become more important than life itself.

I'm sure a few of us have felt like that at one time or another.

Here's 2 collecting tales from the opposite sides of the spectrum from one man who has $4-5 million burning a hole in his pants to another man who loses his wife after he buys an original Hal Foster page with his vacation fund.

Collecting is much easier if you have millions to spend!

Collecting is much easier if you have millions to spend!

Depends on what you collect. You'll notice that even with as much money as he had that O'Neal got out of currency collecting when he realized there were others willing to spend even more than he did.

Seriously, I say Brava to the wife. There are people and there are objects. When objects become more important - jeeze. It is why I stopped collecting.

NOT saying that is the situation with the folks here. Just MY situation. And am much better for it. As is my music!