• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open plea to all CGC Forumites - OT Threads
2 2

378 posts in this topic

But can someone give me an example of a thread that belongs in CG that wouldn't be more appropriate in one of the sub-forums?

-Who would win in a fight?

-Ebay jerk of the minute

-Comic Book Movies

-Why I hate Matt Nelson

-Hammer is at it again

etc... :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

zzz

This has got to be the most inane thread I've read in the five years I've been here, and all the more reason to never venture out from the Golden Age and Marketplace sections.

Personally, I think Borock should boot all of us. Save him and the Mods from having to deal with such juvenille nonsense.

I get too much a kick out of these kind of threads to ever kick you folks off :baiting::devil::kidaround:

Besides, I like you all too much to see you go :acclaim:

BTW......I personally do not mind OT threads if they are few and far between in CG ONLY. I like talking music and movies with fellow COMIC collectors because I care what they think. I do not care what sports or coin fans think. I love the charity threads and Secrect Santa/Chanukh Harrry/Athiest Andy/Budda Barry/etc. threads. And I really love the OT threads when one of is in trouble where we help out or where one of us needs advice as long as they do not turn into trash someone or something threads.

We get to know each other and become more of a community. The fact that I know so much about many of you, is the reason some of us have become friends and the reason I love this community so very much.

That said, the mods seem to leave it alone as long as you keep it to a minimum and use OT to begin you thread. If the title states OT, anyone who wants can just simply avoid it.

At the end of the day, we have always been a bit flexible on these boards, and I think the mods do a great job that they work very hard at! (worship)They also do not get the credit they deserve (tsk) The rules are the rules, but even I have broken them once in a blue moon.

That's my 2c (worthless lol )

And, hey, let's be careful out there!

I don't believe this...

cannot possibly be happening...

There are few enough OT topics that this really isn't an issue. I don't know the people in coinland, stampland, etc. (not that I know any of you for real, but...), don't want to hang out with them in a fake internet world and only go to these boards to look on the CGC boards. If someone starts the title with "OT", what's the problem? Just be judicious in the OT postings...and I think people generally are. And, honestly, it doesn't hurt for you to chime in with your "watercooler" comment every now and then just to remind people (particularly new people) not to abuse the OT wiggle room afforded by the moderators by putting a couple up a day. Everything in moderation! Once a month or every few weeks isn't overboard.

This has got to be the most inane thread I've read in the five years I've been here, and all the more reason to never venture out from the Golden Age and Marketplace sections.

Personally, I think Borock should boot all of us. Save him and the Mods from having to deal with such juvenille nonsense.

I get too much a kick out of these kind of threads to ever kick you folks off :baiting::devil::kidaround:

Besides, I like you all too much to see you go :acclaim:

BTW......I personally do not mind OT threads if they are few and far between in CG ONLY. I like talking music and movies with fellow COMIC collectors because I care what they think. I do not care what sports or coin fans think. I love the charity threads and Secrect Santa/Chanukh Harrry/Athiest Andy/Budda Barry/etc. threads. And I really love the OT threads when one of is in trouble where we help out or where one of us needs advice as long as they do not turn into trash someone or something threads.

We get to know each other and become more of a community. The fact that I know so much about many of you, is the reason some of us have become friends and the reason I love this community so very much.

That said, the mods seem to leave it alone as long as you keep it to a minimum and use OT to begin you thread. If the title states OT, anyone who wants can just simply avoid it.

At the end of the day, we have always been a bit flexible on these boards, and I think the mods do a great job that they work very hard at! (worship)They also do not get the credit they deserve (tsk) The rules are the rules, but even I have broken them once in a blue moon.

That's my 2c (worthless lol )

And, hey, let's be careful out there!

I don't believe this...

cannot possibly be happening...

Cal,

You have one view...other people have different views. It's what makes the world go around and makes it interesting.

I don't understand how this can be 'unbelievable'? (shrug)

Seriously, you made a not unreasonable motion, it didn't get agreed with and carried...no biggie, it happens all the time to all of us.

Take a deep breath, clear your head, and move on. (thumbs u

.....are the OT posts in CG squelching out the ten's and ten's of important threads that need to be seen? :baiting:

That never stops you. :baiting:

Just to be clear, am I squelching?.. or am I being squelched? hm

I suddenly feel compelled to make a thread. Let the squelching commence.

Somethings gonna get squelched one way or another.

(:

Ze-

Edited by Ze-man

I agree with Blob - I don't mind a few OT posts here and there, I don't think it's a problem, I feel more interested in hearing what my comic collecting "friends" have to say than I do the "strangers" in the WC, etc.,.

After all, we need to remember that there are 17 other "CGC" forums for topic-specific threads that serve the purpose of focusing conversation on particular subject areas (Gold, Silver, Bronze, Grading, Restoration, Buying, Selling, and so forth).

2c

CAL you take this message board to serious.

Im so sorry that i posted a thread that you didnt approve of. Next time ill be sure and put my own self in check and ask for permission before i attempt to get the opinions of others on what is seemigly turning out to be YOUR message board.

I think the hip hop community said it best " Stop Snitchin"

Cal,

You have one view...other people have different views. It's what makes the world go around and makes it interesting.

I don't understand how this can be 'unbelievable'?

Seriously, you made a not unreasonable motion, it didn't get agreed with and carried...no biggie, it happens all the time to all of us.

Take a deep breath, clear your head, and move on.

Nick,

yes you are absolutely 100% correct AND you make a lot of sense almost all of the time.

I normally do not do this, because I could get in a lot of trouble for this, but I am semi-retired, so thus, sort-of-invincible BUT

we had to fire a floorman within the last three months...

he "took" by "mistake" $7.00 and the camera and security caught him.

They normally handle anywhere $100,000 to $250,000 on No Limit nights.

His answer: " It was only $7.00. I did not think it hurt once in a while."

I was the manager on duty and had to make a quick decision( it happened during the change of shifts - thus I had to decide quickly): eat it and write out ANOTHER petty cash marker OR turn it in to the Owners and let the chips fall where they may. I had kindly "warned" the younger lad about this before. But I guess he cannot accept my semi-retired role and my "advisory" capacity. The Owners fired him. Over $7.00.

So it is 'OK' to break the rules once in a while and post OT in Comics General. Not one poster, no one has yet to come forward and tell me anythig about the shill-chasing stemming from the "OT Fiancee left me boo hoo " thread. Not one. Flamed? Of course. The flamers are somewhere online, out of reach.

had the shill not chased me( again) a lot of the garbage on the Boards would have NEVER appeared.

Let it go? Of course - I have to.

But I can dream, can't I???

good night.

CAL :cloud9:

So it is 'OK' to break the rules once in a while and post OT in Comics General.

Yep, apprarently it is.

A few weeks ago, I posted the "OT: Which move can you watch over and over again" thread almost on a whim. It turned out to be a great thread, with more then 250+ posts with lots of great input and information sharing from all over. I actually rented a few of the movies posted and my wife and I enjoyed them. There was no venom in that thread, no flame wars. Who exactly does it hurt?

Would the thread have been such a success in the Water Cooler section? Heck no. It may have gotten 50 posts tops, and that's because the majority of the opinions I hoped to solicit were from people in the Comics section of the Boards. Do I really want another Thing/TJ flame war errupting in a thread about movies?

So, screw the rules, as long as people aren't spamming (which has happened on occasion), I don't see the harm. We're all adults (well, some of us) and I think we can navigate our way around those threads that don't interest us. Honestly, I don't look in 90%+ of the threads in Comics General, and I don't require rules and regulations and bylaws to do it for me. Besides, I remember not long after the OT ban went into effect in CG, Arch was moving "non-appropriate" threads left and right. I imagine he stopped after he realized how futile it was and how much time it consumed.

To everyone who wants to do away with OT threads, has it occured to you that maybe the reason Comics General is one of the main gathering places for these boards is because it has the most diverse group of topics that interest people who are comic/sci-fi/movie/toy/artwork/pop culture collectors/fans? Do you really want to limit that?

As for your $7 analogy Cal, you did what you had to, you did the right thing. But this is a message board, and I don't think posting OT threads is considered a criminal act by any state or federal law I am aware of.

Edited by JiveTurkeyMoFo

What an insane train wreck of a thread. So much fun to read!

I hope Cal's OT-Rage doesn't wear off for a couple days so this can continue.

It's such an important issue! And he makes himself look so smart when he busts out the 'pot-smoking hippie liberal' card. Groovy man, the Grateful Dead were soooo talented! (:

So it is 'OK' to break the rules once in a while and post OT in Comics General.

Yep, apprarently it is.

A few weeks ago, I posted the "OT: Which move can you watch over and over again" thread almost on a whim. It turned out to be a great thread, with more then 250+ posts with lots of great input and information sharing from all over. I actually rented a few of the movies posted and my wife and I enjoyed them. There was no venom in that thread, no flame wars. Who exactly does it hurt?

Would the thread have been such a success in the Water Cooler section? Heck no. It may have gotten 50 posts tops, and that's because the majority of the opinions I hoped to solicit were from people in the Comics section of the Boards. Do I really want another Thing/TJ flame war errupting in a thread about movies?

So, screw the rules, as long as people aren't spamming (which has happened on occasion), I don't see the harm. We're all adults (well, some of us) and I think we can navigate our way around those threads that don't interest us. Honestly, I don't look in 90%+ of the threads in Comics General, and I don't require rules and regulations and bylaws to do it for me.

To everyone who wants to do away with OT threads, has it occured to you that maybe the reason Comics General is one of the main gathering places for these boards is because it has the most diverse group of topics that interest people who are comic/sci-fi/movie/toy/artwork/pop culture collectors/fans? Do you really want to limit that?

As for your $7 analogy Cal, you did what you had to, you did the right thing. But this is a message board, and I don't think posting OT threads is considered a criminal act by any state or federal law I am aware of.

The only laws violated are the laws of taste.

What an insane train wreck of a thread. So much fun to read!

I can't turn away! :D

Between this thread, the Sales Board, and the NOD thread, it's been a good read this morning. thumbs_up.gif

I agree, but this thread is starting to kill my xanax buzz.