• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open plea to all CGC Forumites - OT Threads
2 2

378 posts in this topic

The Mods give reasons why we should use the WC. I would genuinely like to hear reasons why a Comic WC would not be a good idea.

When I asked him the same thing last year, Arch pretty much said it comes down to.. "Too much of a headache. We don't need another forum, especially an OT type forum to moderate"

While I didnt like that answer, I can understand the rational.

Ze-

Jeeze Ken that really does not help. Now Arch is sitting there saying ":Cool. No need to answer this now!" Perhaps this travesty is my own doing. I SHOULD have written "I would genuinely like to hear reasons from the Mods why a Comic WC would not be a good idea." :whistle:

Well I did say that was his answer last year didn't I? There might be a whole nuther explanation now, so you go girl!!.. ask them questions!

I hear the "Ask CGC" forum gives out answers lickity split.

:kidaround:

Ze-

Edited by Ze-man

And having been a moderator on many message boards - even back in the 80's on AOL when I headed up the Personal Computer Forum

You had internet in the 80's? You really were a trend setter! :o

BTW i agree, would love our own OT forum.

This has got to be the most inane thread I've read in the five years I've been here, and all the more reason to never venture out from the Golden Age and Marketplace sections.

Personally, I think Borock should boot all of us. Save him and the Mods from having to deal with such juvenille nonsense.

I get too much a kick out of these kind of threads to ever kick you folks off :baiting::devil::kidaround:

Besides, I like you all too much to see you go :acclaim:

BTW......I personally do not mind OT threads if they are few and far between in CG ONLY. I like talking music and movies with fellow COMIC collectors because I care what they think. I do not care what sports or coin fans think. I love the charity threads and Secrect Santa/Chanukh Harrry/Athiest Andy/Budda Barry/etc. threads. And I really love the OT threads when one of is in trouble where we help out or where one of us needs advice as long as they do not turn into trash someone or something threads.

We get to know each other and become more of a community. The fact that I know so much about many of you, is the reason some of us have become friends and the reason I love this community so very much.

That said, the mods seem to leave it alone as long as you keep it to a minimum and use OT to begin you thread. If the title states OT, anyone who wants can just simply avoid it.

At the end of the day, we have always been a bit flexible on these boards, and I think the mods do a great job that they work very hard at! (worship)They also do not get the credit they deserve (tsk) The rules are the rules, but even I have broken them once in a blue moon.

That's my 2c (worthless lol )

And, hey, let's be careful out there!

(worship):applause: (thumbs u

And having been a moderator on many message boards - even back in the 80's on AOL when I headed up the Personal Computer Forum

It was dialup. Started doing bulletin board systems (not unlike message boards are today but they had download areas too) in 1980. 300baud to start. Then jumped to 2400! Blazing fast for those days. Of course, this was all before Windows so everything was faster. Now the downloads were slower but the files were a heck of a lot smaller.

It was dialup. Started doing bulletin board systems (not unlike message boards are today but they had download areas too) in 1980. 300baud to start. Then jumped to 2400! Blazing fast for those days. Of course, this was all before Windows so everything was faster. Now the downloads were slower but the files were a heck of a lot smaller.

My dad was into that stuff back then...I thought who would even care years from then

I was posting on "The Well" back in around 1988, I remember. Whole 'nother animal. That was out of SF as I recall. You must know a bit about that Pov.

Internet was available in the 80's? I must have been studying too hard. I first heard about it in the early/mid-90's.

AOL was not the internet. It was an umbrella organization with their own banks of servers that covered a huge number of topics from Computers to cooking to cars to whatever. Kind of like a small, self-contained internet. I believe it WAS in the very late 80's or early 90's that AOL introduced the internet to its users. It began not as www but as less graphical tools such as Gopher. Not very friendly. Soon thw WWW concept caught on and we are where we are today.

Even in the early 80's the big message board systems would exchange their message board databases, updating them nightly, so someone from Boston would be able to communicate via messages with someone on a different BBS in another city/state.

I was posting on "The Well" back in around 1988, I remember. Whole 'nother animal. That was out of SF as I recall. You must know a bit about that Pov.

That was before my move to SF, so am not familiar with The Well. In Boston we used "Channel One" - a super bbs probably similar to what I intuit The Well would be. Channel One has some insane (for the time) number of modems in banks. 75 or 100 or thereabouts. You never got a busy signal from them.

One month I decided to bite the $$$ and started hitting various BBS system in Europe. Made quite a splash doing that. Folks could not believe I was from the US. The phone bill was almost $500 but was glad I did it.

I don't mind OT posts of the variety concerning similar or related subjects as comic books (e.g., movies, science fiction, etc.) or news about Board members (though I am pretty tired of all the freakin' birthday announcements - would love to see that separated out into the "Announcements" sub-forum). :frustrated:

I do think that all sports-related threads should be relegated to The Water Cooler - that's what it's there for. I could not care less, for example, if the Red Sox won the World Series - unless your nickname is "Big Papi" and your paycheck comes from the Boston Red Sox, we don't need to see it in Comics General. There are any number of active sports threads going on there and I don't see any reason why sports (or music, for that matter) needs to be discussed solely among comic collectors. :pullhair:

• Administrator
Internet was available in the 80's? I must have been studying too hard. I first heard about it in the early/mid-90's.

AOL was not the internet. It was an umbrella organization with their own banks of servers that covered a huge number of topics from Computers to cooking to cars to whatever. Kind of like a small, self-contained internet. I believe it WAS in the very late 80's or early 90's that AOL introduced the internet to its users. It began not as www but as less graphical tools such as Gopher. Not very friendly. Soon thw WWW concept caught on and we are where we are today.

Even in the early 80's the big message board systems would exchange their message board databases, updating them nightly, so someone from Boston would be able to communicate via messages with someone on a different BBS in another city/state.

:cloud9:gopher

:cloud9: bbs

I miss those days....now you have to have MySpace, LiveJournal, Facebook, Tribe, Flickr and Photobucket (I'm sure I missed several) just to be in the "general" crowd....or so it seems at times.

:cloud9:gopher

:cloud9: bbs

I miss those days....now you have to have MySpace, LiveJournal, Facebook, Tribe, Flickr and Photobucket (I'm sure I missed several) just to be in the "general" crowd....or so it seems at times.

It's true. There WAS something exciting about discovering that new world. Now its just hit Circuit City, plunk down $80 and get a 250GB hard drive. No fun anymore. :(