• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How hard is it to get kicked out of NOD?

794 posts in this topic

Just read this on the NOD web-site...

was expelled for failure to cooperate in an investigation of perceived rule violations regarding disclosure, and repeated failure to properly display NOD logo.

Now I am not sure what the investigation was about, but I can certainly understand

the logo logic. It is very hard to get members to adhere to this strict rule.

The NOD logo must be displayed proudly so that everyone can see that it is a vital organization. Kinda like a policeman carrying a badge.

And there must be a surplus of members in the NOD organization.

All of them had better display that logo from here on out.

Otherwise the NOD officers might cast out another valued collector just to make a point.

Glad you asked Richard.

As a NOD Committee Member let me state that anyone who joins an organization should be proud to belong as it is presumably something they believe in, and the display of that organization's logo is an important function of the membership. Most organization have rules, and when they do the organization expects that the member will abide by them. Failure to do so will result in a variety of actions by the organization.

In light of the fact that you obviously have no knowledge of the circumstances regarding which you are commenting upon, let me state that in this particular case the primary issue was a failure to cooperate in an investigation of perceived rule violations. That pretty much says it all right there. The NOD views its principles with a great degree of seriousness, and if it cannot trust its members to cooperate when allegations exist regarding whether significant rules have been violated, then that raises understandable concerns that require action. The circumstances in this matter unfortunately resulted in expulsion, although there were various other options short of that step that were open for exploration.

The logo issue was peripheral and merely compounded the situation further so that it was deserving of note. By itself it was a minor infraction that no doubt would have been timely resolved and likely would not have become the subject of any specific action other than an e-mail reminder. Of course, we respect Steve Meyer's privacy and are not looking to reveal the details of what transpired. He is, of course, able to do so if he wishes and you can ask him if you want.

Speaking for myself, it is disappointing, of course, that yet another post you proffer regarding the NOD - an organization that wishes to only promote disclosure and integrity within our hobby just as numerous parallel organizations undertake in other major hobbies - continues to wreak of open disdain and sarcasm, but at least you wear those feelings on your sleeves for everyone to see and judge for themselves.

No offense, but . . . :blahblah:

Due process is a wonderful thing!

This next question is posed simply to stick a stick in an ant pile(but that is what I do).

The NOD made the decision to expel a member based on the fact that the member was uncommunicative and not because it was proven that the member actually did anything wrong. Are current members now more aware, and fearful, of the Wrath of NOD?

No.

Kneel before NOD!

Ehhh.....tuck your shirt in and don't get all excited. (tsk)

I'm more buttoned up today than I usually am. Am playing The Guy From Corporate at a field office. Always fun to be The Guy From Corporate. They treat you like an arriving potentate.

if you're gonna be impotentate, you might as well dress impotentate.

why are some people bashing NOD???

CAL hm

because they're a bunch of inbred, pondscummy, gravysucking do-gooders who think the hobby should be all, like, above-board and honest and stuff.

CAL hm

because they're a bunch of inbred, pondscummy, gravysucking do-gooders who think the hobby should be all, like, above-board and honest and stuff.

God forbid!

You haven't been here that long Shannon. There is MUCH funnier material on the boards. meh

hm No argument there, Brad ...

For example, your ever-predictable "one good thing to note though, is that almost inevitably, in threads like this started by NOD detractors, NOD ends up with a big platform and an opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings. And usually results in a nice little membership jump too" speeches typically leave me in stitches.

That's some funny stuff!!! (thumbs u

CAL hm

i have it on good authority that they're not all inbred. the gravysucking thing i think is pretty accurate tho

CAL hm

and you think the hobby should be...what???

I can't hear you...

CAL :gossip:

Those of us who are in the "anti-NOD" crowd, are neither anti-NOD or anti-disclosure. The idea of a perfect and harmonious (sp?) world where everything is disclosed and up-front is something we all strive for. I personally think the idea behind NOD's formation is noble. I do have some problems with the implementation. But I, in no way, speak for the "anti-NOD". I also, as most of you know, practice full, pre-emptive, up-front, no doubt about it, disclosure.

And further, I would definitely respond to any NOD communications.

Heck, I might as well BE a NOD member, if it weren't for the whole membership thing.

To paraphrase a distinguished political leader from our history:

Mr. Bedrock, I know the NOD. I served with the NOD. You, sir, are nothing like the NOD.

:baiting:

Yea, yea, I know, you'll say that's a good thing. :whatev: That's where you and I will agree. :gossip:lol

:hi:

Due process is a wonderful thing!

This next question is posed simply to stick a stick in an ant pile(but that is what I do).

The NOD made the decision to expel a member based on the fact that the member was uncommunicative and not because it was proven that the member actually did anything wrong. Are current members now more aware, and fearful, of the Wrath of NOD?

No.

Kneel before NOD!

Ehhh.....tuck your shirt in and don't get all excited. (tsk)

I'm more buttoned up today than I usually am. Am playing The Guy From Corporate at a field office. Always fun to be The Guy From Corporate. They treat you like an arriving potentate.

if you're gonna be impotentate, you might as well dress impotentate.

You got a tux?

The only thing that interests me about the NOD or the anti-NOD is if you happen to get infected by either one, then does anyone happen to have an anti-DOTE for all this horseh*t.

Remember guys, smile like you mean it. :foryou:

The only thing that interests me about the NOD or the anti-NOD is if you happen to get infected by either one, then does anyone happen to have an anti-DOTE for all this horseh*t.

Remember guys, smile like you mean it. :foryou:

unnecessary post.

CAL doh!

This may be a simplification but bear with me. If NOD's purpose is to encourage disclosure and assist potential buyers with information concerning undisclosed changes, where does this action fit in? If NOD members suspect non-disclosed changes to a book but don't publicly disclose that suspicion, who will know about the changes? NOD members only? If I recall the web page has examples of undisclosed alterations to books. Why not give the skinny here or somewhere as to what raised the suspicion of NOD members with regard to this fellow kicked out?

Hasn't NOD kind of assumed a public role of making disclosure so that otherwise uninformed buyers will be informed?

I would prefer that NOD not create suspicion about books without proof that manipulation has occurred. It's not fair to the current owners of those books.

Agree........... (thumbs u

This situation seems so self-explanatory, and yet the discussion rages on....... :o

CAL hm

Who you calling gravysucking? Gravysucking is a Southern thing. I'm Italian and it should be saucesucking. Shee'sh if your gonna insult do it right.