• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How hard is it to get kicked out of NOD?

794 posts in this topic

What have you done lately other than be critical of the NOD?

From my view, he's been a highly respected and highly ethical dealer for many years, building a reputation based on how he operates his day-to-day business and how he interacts with his customers, not on mandatory logos and participation in a consumer watch group that's still finding its sea legs. What he's done lately is far less important than the consistent positive force he's been in the hobby since the day he went into business.

If I had to chose, I'd do business with Richard over any NOD dealer any day of the week. He's earned his reputation the hard way, rather than mailing in a check for annual dues.

And he's really tall...

From my view, he's been a highly respected and highly ethical dealer for many years, building a reputation based on how he operates his day-to-day business and how he interacts with his customers, not on mandatory logos and participation in a consumer watch group that's still finding its sea legs. What he's done lately is far less important than the consistent positive force he's been in the hobby since the day he went into business.

If I had to chose, I'd do business with Richard over any NOD dealer any day of the week. He's earned his reputation the hard way, rather than mailing in a check for annual dues.

And he's really tall...

And he has a very nice wife...

Those of us who are in the "anti-NOD" crowd, are neither anti-NOD or anti-disclosure. The idea of a perfect and harmonious (sp?) world where everything is disclosed and up-front is something we all strive for. I personally think the idea behind NOD's formation is noble. I do have some problems with the implementation. But I, in no way, speak for the "anti-NOD". I also, as most of you know, practice full, pre-emptive, up-front, no doubt about it, disclosure.

And further, I would definitely respond to any NOD communications.

Heck, I might as well BE a NOD member, if it weren't for the whole membership thing.

To paraphrase a distinguished political leader from our history:

Mr. Bedrock, I know the NOD. I served with the NOD. You, sir, are nothing like the NOD.

:baiting:

Yea, yea, I know, you'll say that's a good thing. :whatev: That's where you and I will agree. :gossip:lol

:hi:

I know Texas. I live in Texas. You, sir, are no Lloyd Bentson. :hi:

That's true, he's dead. :gossip:

With no disrespect to the dead of course. :)

Just read this on the NOD web-site...

was expelled for failure to cooperate in an investigation of perceived rule violations regarding disclosure, and repeated failure to properly display NOD logo.

Now I am not sure what the investigation was about, but I can certainly understand

the logo logic. It is very hard to get members to adhere to this strict rule.

The NOD logo must be displayed proudly so that everyone can see that it is a vital organization. Kinda like a policeman carrying a badge.

And there must be a surplus of members in the NOD organization.

All of them had better display that logo from here on out.

Otherwise the NOD officers might cast out another valued collector just to make a point.

if one wants to walk the walk, talk the talk, actions DO speak louder than words...

CAL :makepoint:

Been thinking about this for a long, long time.

Nothing for me to gain on this Forum.

I already got my eBay machine going. I have my stocks, Trust Funds, about 300,000 Silver age comics, good spouse, children. Sports cards, baseball memorabilia, posters, coins, trophies from Poker, new vehicles every year, true and real friends in real life.I already have anything I could want. Nothing here for me and I tried twice.

Nothing here but Trolls to harrass the good ones and even the Moderator can't stay neutral. See Arch who is a piece of *spoon* in my book.

Unlike Ian Levine, I won't be back. I am not even going to look at the Board once I quit. No more PM's, nothing. Cold Turkey.

As this is my last post, those who liked me I thank you. Those who Trolled me and continued to bash me you can kiss my asss. Go back to practicing rectal inversion. Dream on of becoming comic book collectors. Wanna be's I never liked anyway. You know who you are.

Sorry Mr. Borock but you wimped out with your Trolls ruining the Forum. Enough is enough. Now you wanted your younger crowd, you got them. Enjoy!

walk it and all that tool

But I will say we have banded together in an organization that shares our concerns and through our individual actions are attempting to make this a better hobby. What have you done lately other than be critical of the NOD?

Jim

Jim,

If you ever want me to enumerate the many things I have been involved in to better this hobby I will be glad to share them. Suffice it to say that comics and the hobby are very important to me. If I am at times critical of NOD, that doesn't mean I don't care. And just because someone is a member of NOD doesn't mean they care more than I.

Please keep an open mind and think about that.

Richard

And we would ask that you keep an open mind as well Richard, rather than criticize everything the NOD does even before we do it. You've been on the NOD's case since the very beginning and have given it absolutely no opportunity to contribute to the hobby.

Suffice it to say that comics and the hobby are very important to NOD members, and if at times we are critical of this or that, that doesn't mean we don't care.

If I had to choose, I'd do business with Richard over any NOD dealer any day of the week. He's earned his reputation the hard way, rather than mailing in a check for annual dues.

That's right Jeff, because obviously all of the part-time or full-time dealers in the NOD have earned their reputations the easy way by simply mailing in a check for annual dues (in fact, FYI, most paid by pay-pal :P ) to the NOD. Hmmm, I wonder how they functioned as dealers before the NOD came along in 2006?

That's a great sentiment you've expressed about quite a number of people whom I imagine thought you were their friend before they saw this comment (not to mention the numerous reputable collectors, such as Jon Berk, who are members who also sell occasionally through the boards or on ebay).

Brian Fornesi - BunkyBrothers

Brent Moeshlin - QualityComix

Bob Nastasi - Amazing Comics & Collectibles

Jamie Newbold - Southern California Comics

Joel Pollack - Big Planet Comics

Marnin Rosenberg - CollectorsAssemble.com

Rick Whitelock - NewForceComics

Myself - EsquireComics.com

And he's really tall...

And he has a very nice wife...

Awww!!! :blush:

You've got a BIG hug coming in Dallas ...

And we would ask that you keep an open mind as well Richard, rather than criticize everything the NOD does even before we do it. You've been on the NOD's case since the very beginning and have given it absolutely no opportunity to contribute to the hobby.

Suffice it to say that comics and the hobby are very important to NOD members, and if at times we are critical of this or that, that doesn't mean we don't care.

Mark,

Do you seriously think that I have done nothing but sit around and think of ways to criticize NOD? Wow, you give yourselves a ton of credit!

I absolutely have not criticized everything NOD has done...just the stupid stuff.

And that started at the very beginning because NOD's launch was riddled with stupidity. It continued with criticism of the Gallery of Disclosure..I still think it is a badly conceived tool of NOD. Today was not criticism, it was more amusement at the pomp and circumstance.

I have also praised NOD. The idea of full disclosure of restoration is something I have always agreed with. It was something that I have been fighting for since the old days of the AACC. How we define restoration is a matter of conjecture, but NOD has been paramount in bringing that discussion to the fore. The act of pro-active disclosure is something that NOD members rightly convinced me to participate in. And some of your newest members are folks who I consider among my closest friends in the hobby. Bill Ponseti and I go way back. Marc Pecorella is one of the nicest and most honest guys in your organization. Rick Whitelock, well, he is a gator. Shoot Mark, when have you and I ever had a contentious conversation about comics? So if what you say above is how you honestly feel, and not just your usual bluster, I will gladly listen.

Mark,

Do you seriously think that I have done nothing but sit around and think of ways to criticize NOD? Wow, you give yourselves a ton of credit!

I absolutely have not criticized everything NOD has done...just the stupid stuff.

And that started at the very beginning because NOD's launch was riddled with stupidity. It continued with criticism of the Gallery of Disclosure..I still think it is a badly conceived tool of NOD. Today was not criticism, it was more amusement at the pomp and circumstance.

I have also praised NOD. The idea of full disclosure of restoration is something I have always agreed with. It was something that I have been fighting for since the old days of the AACC. How we define restoration is a matter of conjecture, but NOD has been paramount in bringing that discussion to the fore. The act of pro-active disclosure is something that NOD members rightly convinced me to participate in. And some of your newest members are folks who I consider among my closest friends in the hobby. Bill Ponseti and I go way back. Marc Pecorella is one of the nicest and most honest guys in your organization. Rick Whitelock, well, he is a gator. Shoot Mark, when have you and I ever had a contentious conversation about comics? So if what you say above is how you honestly feel, and not just your usual bluster, I will gladly listen.

I'm guessing the doorways in your house are extra wide at the top.

Those of us who are in the "anti-NOD" crowd, are neither anti-NOD or anti-disclosure. The idea of a perfect and harmonious (sp?) world where everything is disclosed and up-front is something we all strive for. I personally think the idea behind NOD's formation is noble. I do have some problems with the implementation. But I, in no way, speak for the "anti-NOD". I also, as most of you know, practice full, pre-emptive, up-front, no doubt about it, disclosure.

And further, I would definitely respond to any NOD communications.

Heck, I might as well BE a NOD member, if it weren't for the whole membership thing.

To paraphrase a distinguished political leader from our history:

Mr. Bedrock, I know the NOD. I served with the NOD. You, sir, are nothing like the NOD.

:baiting:

Yea, yea, I know, you'll say that's a good thing. :whatev: That's where you and I will agree. :gossip:lol

:hi:

So a guy who proactively discloses is a bad thing? or did I miss the :baiting:

If I had to choose, I'd do business with Richard over any NOD dealer any day of the week. He's earned his reputation the hard way, rather than mailing in a check for annual dues.

That's right Jeff, because obviously all of the part-time or full-time dealers in the NOD have earned their reputations the easy way by simply mailing in a check for annual dues (in fact, FYI, most paid by pay-pal :P ) to the NOD. Hmmm, I wonder how they functioned as dealers before the NOD came along in 2006?

That's a great sentiment you've expressed about quite a number of people whom I imagine thought you were their friend before they saw this comment (not to mention the numerous reputable collectors, such as Jon Berk, who are members who also sell occasionally through the boards or on ebay).

Brian Fornesi - BunkyBrothers

Brent Moeshlin - QualityComix

Bob Nastasi - Amazing Comics & Collectibles

Jamie Newbold - Southern California Comics

Joel Pollack - Big Planet Comics

Marnin Rosenberg - CollectorsAssemble.com

Rick Whitelock - NewForceComics

Myself - EsquireComics.com

Exactly one of the reasons I won't join!

Do you think that these guys all want to be trotted out as part of the NOD dog and pony show so you can show how much better NOD membership is then the alternative.

I don't want that responsibility.

And certainly never want to be pitted against my fellow dealers and hobbyists.

Why does it have to be that way,Mark?

BEST POST IN THIS THREAD :applause:

BEST POST IVE READ IN A LONG TIME :applause: