• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How hard is it to get kicked out of NOD?

794 posts in this topic

The gravity of the situation is really overblown.

This whole thing is just too amusing for anyone to get ugly about it.

On another point...

We, as a group, overly scrutinize every aspect of our hobby.

We scrutinize the Overstreet Price Guide, each and every dealer, and even CGC (who hosts these boards). Our hobby is based on the scrutinization of every tiny blemish and defect on every book.

To think that the actions of a hobby watchdog group, which is striving for acceptance, could possibly be above scrutiny (even of a humorous nature) is naive at best.

That post was too wordy. (tsk)

The Anti-NOD decoding devices also come with a handy pocket dictionary!

And if you put it in your back pocket and it gets pressed? (shrug)

Only if I apply a little steam! (Where's that farting banana graemlin?)

You could just keep posting up a storm? (shrug)

Should be more than enough hot air to do the job... :baiting:

Sorry to go OT, and return to the subject at hand, but I for one feel that based on the representaions made here, NOD acted in due course. Leaving no procedual, or factual stone unturned.

And arguably this evictee did a constructive dismissal on himself anyway (shrug)

On another point...

We scrutinize the Overstreet Price Guide, each and every dealer, and even CGC (who hosts these boards). Our hobby is based on the scrutinization of every tiny blemish and defect on every book.

To think that the actions of a hobby watchdog group, which is striving for acceptance, could possibly be above scrutiny (even of a humorous nature) is naive at best.

Between you and I, we could probably get a balloon across the Atlantic. (thumbs u

On another point...

Between you and I, we could probably get a balloon across the Atlantic. (thumbs u

Now now, you boys aren't giving yourselves nearly enough credit.

On another point...

Now now, you boys aren't giving yourselves nearly enough credit.

oh yes they are :baiting:

Sorry to go OT, and return to the subject at hand, but I for one feel that based on the representaions made here, NOD acted in due course. Leaving no procedual, or factual stone unturned.

If a bunch of unanswered phone calls and e-mails are procedural stones, then I definitely have to agree with you.

am I late to the party?

gator

Yes, but fashionably so. (thumbs u

well alright then, where's the bar!

That one with drinks was deemed off topic and has been moved to the water cooler. The one that has been set by NOD for the comic collecting community is about three floors up.

:P

If a bunch of unanswered phone calls and e-mails are procedural stones, then I definitely have to agree with you.

Aside from sending registered mail what other steps do you feel should have been taken or could be taken in the future? Not trying to be smart here but if you have something that can be added to the procedure please share.

And arguably this evictee did a constructive dismissal on himself anyway (shrug)

Well said.

If he longer wishes to be a member of NOD, then that of course is his decision. However, to come here and speculate that, "My personal opinion is that we, in the comic collecting community, will discover other stuff that this person has done and will continue to do," just doesn't seem kosher to me.

Nothing personal, of course, but before you call someone's character into question, publicly, it would be nice to have substantial proof.

And yes, I am aware of the instance that precipitated these events.

I have to agree with this. To assume that anyone not wanting to be affilliated with NOD is up to unscrupulous behaviour is just ridiculous. I guarantee you there are people within NOD who are breaking the rules, and I guarantee there are people who are not in NOD who are honest.

Just a simple question, but where do you guys deduct this type of stuff from (read bolded parts)? He didn't resign like nearmint did, he was expulsed. He obviously WAS wanting to be a NOD member as he voluntarily joined and paid dues to do so.

Furthermore, please show me where anyone (especially NOD members) said that people not wanting to be affiliated with the NOD are up to unscrupulous behavior. You're right, that would be rediculous...if it had happened.

Apparently, someone within the NOD was breaking the rules and that's why we're here having this discussion. :makepoint:

And, yes, there are plenty of non NOD members who are honest...I don't think anyone has ever said that wasn't so.

Aside from sending registered mail what other steps do you feel should have been taken or could be taken in the future? Not trying to be smart here but if you have something that can be added to the procedure please share.

I understand that the member in question was unresponsive to the NOD's requests for his side of the story. But without his side of the story, the procedure is incomplete. He may or may not have been guilty of whatever rules violations he is accused of. But he is essentially being expelled from the organization for being unresponsive and not displaying logos.

If that is enough grounds for NOD to expel a member then that's good enough for me.

Every time I see the NOD logo I wonder if it wouldn't be more appropriate for a group of joy buzzer enthusiasts.

That was not fair! Now every time I see that logo, I am going to think about joy buzzers. lol

I was traumatized at a very young age with a joy buzzer and curl up like a new boen when ever they are mentioned or near me. :o

I understand that the member in question was unresponsive to the NOD's requests for his side of the story. But without his side of the story, the procedure is incomplete. He may or may not have been guilty of whatever rules violations he is accused of. But he is essentially being expelled from the organization for being unresponsive and not displaying logos.

If that is enough grounds for NOD to expel a member then that's good enough for me.

That he was given ample opportunity to explain himself...and yes, he does have a responsibility to explain himself...yet declined to do so, is a strong (but not conclusive) indicator of guilt.

If he is not guilty, and simply could not be arsed dealing with the matter, that in itself is possibly reason enough to remove him from the organisation. Who needs 'proactive' members like that? (shrug)

It's often said around these parts that 'there's another side to the story'...and usually there is. However, all that can be asked of 'the other party' is an explanation and all that can be offered is a chance to defend themselves.

And if they decline...they take the consequences. (thumbs u

Every time I see the NOD logo I wonder if it wouldn't be more appropriate for a group of joy buzzer enthusiasts.

That was not fair! Now every time I see that logo, I am going to think about joy buzzers. lol

I was traumatized at a very young age with a joy buzzer and curl up like a new boen when ever they are mentioned or near me. :o

I'll keep that in mind when I see you in SD next summer. :banana:

Er...that wasn't a 'joy buzzer'... ;)

the rack? a drowning stool? ten minutes of listening to gator whine about how young florida's defense is? some of those contraptions they used on mel at the end of braveheart? would the evictee yell "FREEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMM" i wonder?

Of course, we respect Steve Meyer's privacy

then why did you mention his name at all? Ricky's post went out of it's way to make the member anonymous.

How silly. Ricky was keeping what anonymous? A name that was listed on a public web site which anyone can see? He was "keeping it anonymous" by drawing attention to the matter?

What is being kept private is the detailed content of the communications.

But you knew that, didn't you?

Yea, anyone that doesn't know how to use google tends to think everything is a big secret. (thumbs u