• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay BIN concerns

318 posts in this topic

I put up an early Pep with a bin of 225.00 when I meant to put 325.00. Needless to say it got snapped up within 30 minutes and I honored the price, mistake or not. I didn't consider the buyer to be an oppurtunist. We're all oppurtunist at an auction hoping to get a great deal. My mistake was not having my reading glasses on.

The one book that the seller said was a mistake was a WOW at a price of $39.99, she said she MEANT to make that her start price...it might have gone for double, maybe triple ? but I've spent thousands with her since and recommended her to a bunch of friends, she made many times the $40 because of the good will...needless to say, I never bid on the other seller's books again. She didn't blink, just told me it had been an error, and I said thank you...and bought a bunch more stuff..;)

I would be one angry buyer if a seller reneged on a sale, no matter what the excuse was. Once an auction is completed that sale should a done deal. I know that's not what you want to hear, biu I think it's only fair. I sold books with buy it nows and have made errors in the bin price, but I stuck to the sale.

So instead of selling something for $225 I should be understanding and give it up for $125? No, I will not be penalized for a mistake that was made and unable to be changed due to being a bit slow on hitting the button. I'm a human and I make mistakes. If this listing was 1 hour old or so I'd agree but this is just a common human goof.

That's a choice you have to make.

I understand your problem. I listed an X-men 250 9.8 for sale on eBay. The auction closed and the winning bidder paid his money. The only problem was that I had already sold the 250 and had not remembered selling it.

I said nothing and sent him my Winnipeg copy instead. Live and learn. :sorry:

What you did will probably earn you more long term business and at least a good dose of karma, if you believe in that sort of thing.

I understand your problem. I listed an X-men 250 9.8 for sale on eBay. The auction closed and the winning bidder paid his money. The only problem was that I had already sold the 250 and had not remembered selling it.

I said nothing and sent him my Winnipeg copy instead. Live and learn. :sorry:

I did the same on eBay with a VF- copy of Marvel Super-Heroes #12. Apparently either sold it before or, most likely, sent it to another eBay winner with their comics. Regardless, I pulled my NM- copy (and last copy) out and sent it instead...

Jim

After I submitted the auction I quickly noticed my mistake but by then someone had already BIN the book and tried to send me the money realizing the fantastic deal he would have scored.

How quickly did you notice???

I refunded his money but I can't seem to find a way to inform eBay that the auction was an error and information couldn't be changed before a seller pounced upon an opportunity.

Did you at least contact the buyer first???

Is there a procedure to follow to let eBay know what happened? They seem to offer help on everything but...

eBay allows you to end an auction early due to an error in the listing. To me it seems that you are justified in returning the monies to the buyer with the explaination that there was an error in the listing and that he can purchase it for the price that was listed in the item title.

Don't sweat it Whet...mistakes happen...perhaps you can offer the "buyer" a $50 credit or something like that if he buys 2 or more books or offer free shipping on his next order.... 2c

Sorry...but you need to honor the sale. It's not the bidder's problem you weren't more thorough before listing it. He hit a legitimate BIN as inputted by you and as result, it's a sale...

Jim

I have to agree on this one. It sucks the big one but I too would honor the sale.

Maybe it's time for a poll:

Son of a @#$%. The buyer keeps trying to send money to my paypal account despite the fact that I've refunded his paypal three times already. I think this is going to get nasty. I have no concerns taking a negative hit but I don't know why he insist that he pays immediately especially after I've sent him two emails explaining why it was a mistake. :sumo::censored:

Take the neg.

Then simply respond to the neg - 'item mistakenly listed with wrong BIN price'. I look at all negs, and evaluate why they were given. I'm sure anyone with half a brain would understand this neg.

Sorry...but you need to honor the sale. It's not the bidder's problem you weren't more thorough before listing it. He hit a legitimate BIN as inputted by you and as result, it's a sale...

Jim

I have to agree on this one. I sucks the big one but I too would honor the sale.

hm

Jim

I have to agree on this one. I sucks the big one but I too would honor the sale.

hm

Bunch of renegers from your parts

Jim

hm

Talk about errors in the listing... :olol

Jim

hm

Bunch of renegers from your parts

:cloud9:

The title of the listing even says $225.. Give me a break, the buyer is the an oppurtunist (sp).

In this case, I would try to work out a settlement with the buyer. Maybe split the difference. If he refuses, then even more proof that they are a chump. Take the neg.

Well I could try that. I have emailed him three times and have yet to get a response. Each time I refund his paypal money he sends it right back at me. I tried sending a mutual 'unpaid' dispute but he rejected it. So I think he just wants to get this book $100 cheaper then listed price. I'm not sure why he thinks I'll concede after three attempts to be rational with the situation. I'll just take the negative and when he gets pissed about no book, refund his money a fourth time. doh!

I seem to be in the minority here. Seems most sellers here would honor the sale. I wouldn't. Everyone makes mistakes, and I've been understanding when I've been on the buying end of the equation.

If he keeps sending the money, just hold it. Sooner or later, he'll need to file a chargeback and take it back.

Screw the buyer. By sending the paypal payment multiple times, he's obviously a weasel. Don't reward arseholes. Any reasonable person would understand. Take the neg. If they want to pull "these are the rules" then fine, accept the penalty for not following the rules- THOSE are the rules.

Jim

I have to agree on this one. It sucks the big one but I too would honor the sale.

hm

Talk about errors in the listing... :olol

Fixed (thumbs u

Screw the buyer. By sending the paypal payment multiple times, he's obviously a weasel. Don't reward arseholes. Any reasonable person would understand. Take the neg. If they want to pull "these are the rules" then fine, accept the penalty for not following the rules- THOSE are the rules.

Why? It's not like it was listed for a buck. If the typical comic collector were to factor in the usual ebay-bump grading system, it's actually a fair price. How's the buyer supposed to know that this seller has a clue about grading?

EDIT: Whet, you could send the buyer a link to your for sale thread on the boards if you're trying to work out something.

Why? It's not like it was listed for a buck. If the typical comic collector were to factor in the usual ebay-bump grading system, it's actually a fair price. How's the buyer supposed to know that this seller has a clue about grading?

I'm going to change the forum bin price if it sells too cheaply now. Screw the buyer.