• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest moment/worst moment in terms of comic collecting

89 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been discussed allready but I always enjoy hearing about peoples sussess and de-feets :kidaround:

I don't really remember having too many memorable moments while collecting when I was younger but things keep popping up now.

My greatest moment has to be my 4 years old daughter telling my wife "I want a couple comics. Girl comics but cool comics like Dad has. You know that Dad has a bunch of really cool comics!!" Of course then she tells me a couple days later that my Father-in-law is a great golfer and that I better practice more to play like him. He is a good golfer but damn child :pullhair:

My worst moment occured recently at the post office. I am in there at least 3 times a week with a large batch of Priority boxes. The same lady is usually behind the counter and I have never had a problem but I must have caught her in a bad mood. After going through my boxes and the few International items she says "What do you have in here. It says comic books on the form but I can't imagine a guy your age having this many kids books." I kind of froze and kind of gave a weak "yea, there a bunch of comics books" or something. Worse part was turning around and seeing a couple 20-22 year old girls kind of giving me the "what a dork" giggle. Definetely was not my best day at the post office.

Ok, not earth shattering but hopefully there are some good stories out there.

My greatest moment was when I got the urge to start collecting again and got the okay from the wife. Once I started back and started back picking up the books my father gave me when I was kid, each book, cover, story, even the smell of the books brought back so many memories.

The worst moment...being part of the 90s comic madness that went bust. I won't recount how much money I pissed away...but let's just say I got 50 copies of Deatmate Prologue and Turok still around that I have to figure out how to sell (of course the house fire I had took all my great stuff and left the behind).

For your story though, you need to snap back fast! Like, "Yeah they are kids books, but I made 100K last year selling them and on track to make 150K this year!" And then wink at those 20 somethings like, "Yeah dog!" as you walk out!

"What do you have in here. It says comic books on the form but I can't imagine a guy your age having this many kids books."

You should have looked at her and said, "I could buy (and afford to burn down) your house with the money I made selling 'kids' books just this year."

"What do you have in here. It says comic books on the form but I can't imagine a guy your age having this many kids books."

You should have looked at her and said, "I could buy (and afford to burn down) your house with the money I made selling 'kids' books just this year."

I know . . I know. Anything was better than my weak response. But I usually feel a little wierd holding up the line with the multiple international packages (thank god for overseas buyers!!) so I was not on my game in the post office. I did make good money on that order and should of been ready!! I'll be like George in Seinfeld and bait her next time with a comeback waiting. Maybe I'll go with "Oh, yea. You suck!!"

Yeah, that's a good idea, trading insults with the person responsible for getting your mail. :screwy:

Did I just enter the Twilight Zone?? Did JC give me advice on who not to off. I always kind of expected that you would advise me on how to more people off. :baiting:

Yeah, that's a good idea, trading insults with the person responsible for getting your mail. :screwy:

Exactly. Pick your battles. Who gives a *spoon* what the lady behind the counter thinks so long as she ships the books. Not her business anyway to make smarmy comments like that.

greatest moment for me was when i managed to get five Captain America #1's all signed and graded for a cool first issue "set"

i havent had too many "worst" moments, except for the situation that i outlined in my "seriously frustrated with Greg from bulldog collectibles aka sandy collectibles"

Very similar things for me. My 6 year old son told his mom that he wanted some comics, cool comics like dads. He now collects Batman adventure back issues and current Scooby Doo and Uncle scrooge comics.

A young couple bought the house on the property next to ours. We had them over for supper and a few drinks to get to know them. During the conversation my wife brings up that I waste money on comics. The girl of the couple starts laughing and tells me that she just lost all respect for me. At first it bothered me but then I just shook it off and made fun of her big behind (not really but thats what I felt like doing haha). Its funny how most comic collectors are ashamed to let people know that they still collect comics.

Outside of that my best day was back in the early 90's I bought a comic lot of around 100 books from some guy who wanted money. I never even looked through them at the time as he sold them to me for cheap. When I got home there was a few good books in there including a ASM 129 and Hulk 180 and 181.

Worst day was a few years ago when we had a huge storm and my basement flooded. I had my comics in long comic boxes and stored around 2 feet off the floor. The strom drains outside flooded causing all the basement on our street to flood. Water levels reached 3-4 feet in my basement 90% of my collection was ruined :cry:

Sorry if this has been discussed allready but I always enjoy hearing about peoples sussess and de-feets :kidaround:

I don't really remember having too many memorable moments while collecting when I was younger but things keep popping up now.

My greatest moment has to be my 4 years old daughter telling my wife "I want a couple comics. Girl comics but cool comics like Dad has. You know that Dad has a bunch of really cool comics!!" Of course then she tells me a couple days later that my Father-in-law is a great golfer and that I better practice more to play like him. He is a good golfer but damn child :pullhair:

My worst moment occured recently at the post office. I am in there at least 3 times a week with a large batch of Priority boxes. The same lady is usually behind the counter and I have never had a problem but I must have caught her in a bad mood. After going through my boxes and the few International items she says "What do you have in here. It says comic books on the form but I can't imagine a guy your age having this many kids books." I kind of froze and kind of gave a weak "yea, there a bunch of comics books" or something. Worse part was turning around and seeing a couple 20-22 year old girls kind of giving me the "what a dork" giggle. Definetely was not my best day at the post office.

I hate to derail my own thread but I just can't believe this comment I just got on E-Bay. Check out my auction and then the question at the bottom - I don't know how I can make it any clearer that I only charge $0.25 per auction won. No wonder people get scammed when they don't even bother to read the main text.

Auction

I hate to derail my own thread but I just can't believe this comment I just got on E-Bay. Check out my auction and then the question at the bottom - I don't know how I can make it any clearer that I only charge $0.25 per auction won. No wonder people get scammed when they don't even bother to read the main text.

Auction

That looks like it should be riding the short bus in the GA forum (thumbs u

lol

lol

lol lol

But I usually feel a little wierd holding up the line with the multiple international packages (thank god for overseas buyers!!) so I was not on my game in the post office.

The post office seems to go back and forth on this every few years but currently you can take your prepaid international orders directly to the front of the line and hand them in. The counter people love it because they don't have to check them in one-by-one like they do when you're in line.

Dude seriously. I wear my comics on my sleeve. I took a bunch of creators out when they were in TO a couple of years ago on a Sunday nite (Talent Caldwell, Francis Manapul and their friends) and we hit the town for some hi end night clubs...you know what I wore? My JIM #89 tribute T shirt. Girls dig that sort of thing! My homies from WW Chicago know what I'm talking about!

All it takes is confidence to pull it off.

(thumbs u