• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest moment/worst moment in terms of comic collecting

89 posts in this topic

worst moment:

i’ve posted this a few times but it fits here.

i bought this killer book at the Baltimore Con 3 years ago, didn’t look at the bc and when I got home :tonofbricks:

best moment:

heven’t had it yet

amazing_adventures_11_fc.JPG

amazing_adventures_11_bc.JPG

Best Moment:

Slabbing my ASM 300 chromium, getting it back and making ridiculous profit. That was the first time I made serious profit on a book :cloud9:

Thanks Nik for telling me to slab it first!

Worst Moment:

Selling my variants for much less than I paid (with a couple of exceptions). Lesson learned :(

I thought I already posted this on this thread but I guess it

Worst MomentFour years later when my Stepfather (:devil:) hauled those three and about 6,997 others to the City Dump citing "They are never going to be worth anything, you insufficiently_thoughtful_person!" :sick:

GASP!

OMG.

Did you kill your stepfather???

I cringe because I have heard SO many similar stories, and from kid to adult and back again, I have to ask ...What in the HE LL gives our parents the right to toss out our stuff like that. Did he have a bug up his butt or something?

I'm crying.

Man, that is awfull.

Nope. I didn't kill him. I ran away from home and never went back. That was the defining moment in my life when I cried, wiped my eyes dry and became a man.

I never went back home until my Grandmother's funeral 23 years later. My stepfather basically hated me since I was a kid. He was physically and mentally abusive. Anything that brought joy in my life or made me happy he took away. That's the hardest part about collecting again, knowing that I will never be able to get most of the books I used to have, especially in the grades they were in. It's So frustrating! Those of you who know how I grade, just imagine - I was even more picky when I was younger. I just gave up after that happened. I tried not to even think about comics after that. I distanced myself from the hobby as far as I could. Until Last September that is. Then I found eBay:shrug:

Best Moment #1: August 1972, finding Avengers #102 on a comic book rack while on vacation in the GA mountains. My first comic I ever bought. Went back the next day and picked up #103.

Best Moment #2: My LCS told me a guy had come in selling some old Avengers. She gave me his number and I bought Avengers 1-25 (less #6 and 24) for $200.

Worst Moment #1: Having the same guy offer me FF 1-35, Hulk 1-4 and a bunch of old X-men and me turning him down because I didn't have any more money. I shoulda called my mom and begged!

djpinkpanther, I got no words. I feel for you.

I distanced myself from the hobby as far as I could. Until Last September that is. Then I found eBay:shrug:

I wonder how many collectors eBay drew back into the fold. I know it snagged me a few years ago and it was all downhill from there.

Sorry to hear about your of a stepfather. :(

Best Moment #1: Wizard World LA last year. I took my childhood copies of ASM 294,298,299, & 300 and had them graded on-site. They came back 9.8, 9.6, 9.8 and 9.6 repsectively. It was nice to know that all those years of taking care of my collection throughout many college moves finally paid off. It is also nice to know that they will keep their condition in the slabs. A bonus about that convention was that they were giving away copies of their Captain America #25 variant. I submitted three for Brubaker to sign and they all came back 9.8. I sold the three copies right away and it paid for my entire trip including airfare, hotel, convention costs and the slabbing fees. Awesome weekend!!!

Best Moment #2: Winning 4 boxes of Golden Age comics at an estate sale earlier this year. Here is the thread which has pics of what I won. Golden Age Books There was very little competition for the books. I won all of them for about $350 total. I sold the Plastic-Man #1 for $500 which easily justified my purchase. I have kept most of the other books. It gave me a huge appreciation for the Golden Age. It is something that I will definitely pursue when I finish my ASM complete run.

Worst Moment: Discovering, last year, that my Uncanny X-Men run from 160 - 290 had done the dreaded "slide" in the long box. It went from a 9.4 - 9.8 collection to a 7.0 - 9.0 collection. But that is nothing compared to the horror stories I've seen here. If that is the worst thing that ever happens, I am a happy collector.

Best Moment: The day my dad took me for my first haircut. I started to cry at the barber shop. He ran across the street to Emil's Toy Store and bought me an Amazing Spider-Man comic. I remember shutting up when I opened the pages. That's what got me interested in comics.

Worst Moment: Well it is one indeirectly associated with comics and collecting. Most of you know what I am talking about. Oh well.

Best moments:

- Going to a comic book store in Copenhagen for the first time in 1980 (I was 13).

- Getting an unexpected package containing March of Comics 4 in 1990 (only the 4th US comic book I ever owned).

- Seeing an early Carl Barks original for the first time.

- Buying an unbelievable high grade run of Mickey Mouse Magazine file copies.

- Seeing RHG's and other GA board members' collections a few months ago.

Worst moments:

- Selling most of my collection to finance my studies at Stanford (though it turned into the best investment I ever made).

- Not buying a piece of original art from Four Color 495 in 2002.

Best Moment...

Getting a call from a friend of mine telling me someone was trying to unload some big comics at the store he works it and I would be interested. I raced over. The guy had stuck around....He had Hulk #181 Amazing Spider man #129 both really nice...also Fantastic Four #48 Very beat. Giant Size Xmen #1 Fine and a New Mutants #87 NM. I ended up pulling every dollar out of my pocket. 330ish. and handing it over. I was a very happy guy that day!!! :headbang:

Completing My bronze Marvel set is up there also...took 23 years and a ton of time and money!!!

Worst Moment...

Not sure? Getting stuff thru the mail, over graded is up there!!! :pullhair:

Worst moment was after about two months of time payments to

pay for a NM-/NM ASM 39 and a few other nice books, the box

arrives in perfect shape and Spidey 39 was some how lost by the

dealer. No note included or anything and I was a bit frantic and he

either had it stolen at a show or lost it himself. He promptly

refunded my funds but I wanted the book. :pullhair:

Best moment is supposed to happen this week and a friend's

Father recently passed away and left all sorts of memorabilia,

including a comic collection, black and white Baseball and

Hockey cards, Elvis Memorabilia and Beattle's albums

and a room full of collectables. She wants to just give me the

comics and have me sell the rest on e-bay for a percentage for

my work. :wishluck: I probably shouldn't mention this because

we've being going back and forth with excuses why I can't see

this room of treasures or she is busy drinking. doh!

Back to Roy's point earlier in the thread I agree and I proudly

tell as many people as I can that I collect comics and have had

several co-workers bring in books for me. So far no treasures and

mostly 90's drek. Some people take cheap shots at me about

comics and I just laugh and tell them they're not worthy of joining

the Marvel Universe. They usually walk away looking confused.

- Seeing RHG's and other GA board members' collections a few months ago.

I've never tired of opportunities like that! (thumbs u

My best moments in comics are related to the friends I've made as a result of the hobby.

Worst- Self-induced tape pulls.

I was getting a NM- Dr Strange 169 that I had just sold on eBay ready for shipping. I put it down when the phone rang and discovered to my horror that I had layed it on some industrial strength tape that was laying on the table. Horrible tape pull ruined the back cover and several interior pages. I keep it in a closet upstairs and try to forget it exists.

:eek: