• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest moment/worst moment in terms of comic collecting

89 posts in this topic

Best moment: meeting at a yoga retreat in 1992 to buy a collection of about 5 short boxes

of silver and bronze age comics. I paid $1500 for a largely high grade collection containing

GSXM1 and almost every other desirable bronze age book plus lots of 12 cent Spideys.

A truly great deal and I still have many of the books today.

Worst moment: in 1992 when I purchased my first two Golden Age books from Jerry Ross

at a comic show in upstate NY. The books were Captain America

#50 and #57. Beautiful high grade books which I loved for seven years. Worst moment was

in 1998 when I sold them to Jason Ewert (!) and he pointed out the obvious major resto on

both books. My education to the realities of the hobby began on that day!

Couple of nice moments, recently: my (then) 6-year-old son took his "Marvel Monsters" trade to school for show and tell in 1st grade. Awesome books for kids, with a lot of humor and classic pre-hero monsters (Goom, Fin Fang Foom, etc).

Another one was winning my Hulk #181 for $102 from an ebay auction that was porrly listed and flew under the radar. Then, when it arrived, I discovered that it was a Mark Jewelers copy --- nice surprise!

Worst moment: in 1992 when I purchased my first two Golden Age books from Jerry Ross

#50 and #57. Beautiful high grade books which I loved for seven years. Worst moment was

in 1998 when I sold them to Jason Ewert (!) and he pointed out the obvious major resto on

and the winner for ironic post of the day...

After going through my boxes and the few International items she says "What do you have in here. It says comic books on the form but I can't imagine a guy your age having this many kids books." I kind of froze and kind of gave a weak "yea, there a bunch of comics books" or something. Worse part was turning around and seeing a couple 20-22 year old girls kind of giving me the "what a dork" giggle. Definetely was not my best day at the post office.

Ok, not earth shattering but hopefully there are some good stories out there.

That's when you say, "None of your business what I have in here, that's what's in here. And a head in a box.

Big surprise there...

Strangely enough, I don't know whether opening a 1,000,000 Comix in the late 80s falls into the best or worst moment category...

Okay, worst category.

During the conversation my wife brings up that I waste money on comics. The girl of the couple starts laughing and tells me that she just lost all respect for me. At first it bothered me but then I just shook it off and made fun of her big behind (not really but thats what I felt like doing haha). Its funny how most comic collectors are ashamed to let people know that they still collect comics.

Wow.

Grounds for divorce, right there.

Holy mess.

My wife knows better.

At the end of the day, she and the entirely family knows that the only reason Madeline is here today is because Daddy flipped a big nerd comic book to pay the bills.

And everytime there's another bill to be paid or we're behind, it's flip time.

Wow.

I am really sad to hear that, man. There's nothing worse then when a man's wife can't get behind the one simple pleasure in life that brings him joy.

I'd have said to that other broad you had over for drinks...?

"Well, you see sugar-ti ts, here's the thing. I used to blow my money on booze and babes, but comics, I discovered, is more lucrative. Not like my wife, who blows her spare change on shoes and vodka. Isn't that right honey?"

Ah, I mean that in the nicest way.

And then kick that neighbor right out on her azz.

Best moment...

Buing my AF #15

Second best moment...

Selling the AF #15, paying off all our bills and getting down to business on CGC Baby #1 :thumbsup:

BUT...I mean, I've had a lot of really GOOD moments.

Buying my very first grail books 11 years ago when I first moved to Maryland.

I saved money from my paycheck for weeks.

Bought Amaz. SM #121, 122 and X-men 94 (from the same dealer)

$70 each on the two spideys, $125 on the X-Men.

The X-Men was graded in April and got a 9.4

The two spideys just sit in my collection. I think they're 9.4 and 9.2 respectively.

Hulk 181 on trade about 10 years back when it was still affordable.

That was nice.

Printing my first comic book, that's up there on the list of great moments.

Worst moments...

Two basement floods, but thankfully only was ruined, and not a lot of it.

Another sad moment was selling a long box of comics to pay the rent about 15 years ago. New Mutants 86? 87? Whatever 1st cable was...that was the time period.

Sold my whole New Mutants run, Longshot 1-6, spideys, whatever could fit in the long white box. Average cost was $1 per book, cuz I only made $300.

I think another sad moment was realizing that my X-Men 94 suffered a touch of spine stress, which is why it's 9.4 when it quite probably was at least 9.6 when I bought it.

Thus the slabbing for protection.

Another good moment was picking up the orig. painted artwork of DHP 100 with Hellboy on it for $45 on Ebay.

Then sold it 4 years ago for something like $2500.

Saddest thing was...I owned that piece for years and never framed it, never really took it out of the box it came in...always waiting for that right time to get around to it...it was such a nice painting. I really wish I had at least hung it in the office for a few months.

Oh, and when my daughter wants to go to the comic shop, that always rocks.

Getting a Valiant file copy set of SOLAR 1-10 from the editor 15 years ago...that was pretty cool.

No real HORROR stories that I can think of.

Okay, I did think of one.

And not horror story so much as "I'm angry as hell, and I'm not gonna take it!" moment.

I picked up 2 high grade silver age books from a dealer.

Sent the to CGC.

Found out they BOTH had restoration.

That sucked.

Getting a big box of Iron Man comics in the mail from Canada with every single corner person_without_enough_empathyed up because the seller couldn't be bothered to pack them secure.

That sucked.

And of course, the road we ALL go down when buying blind on Ebay...getting a NM comic in FINE or worse shape.

I did, however, on several occassions, get lucky enough to get books bought on ebay in better shape then listed. That's always a bonus.

Greatest Moment(s): Coming home from high school to a fresh new Westfield Comics box and/or folded CBG newspaper in the 1980's.

Worst Moment: Realizing that I could no longer say that I've read every single comic in my collection. (And realizing that I didn't actually WANT to read every comic in my collection.)

Greatest Moment(s): Coming home from high school to a fresh new Westfield Comics box and/or folded CBG newspaper in the 1980's.

Worst Moment: Realizing that I could no longer say that I've read every single comic in my collection. (And realizing that I didn't actually WANT to read every comic in my collection.)

I'll second that.

Coming home to a box from Westfield, Lone Star or David Easter comics was awesome. When that UPS truck rolled up the driveway, it was pure euphoria. (sp?)

And same deal with the current status. Knowing I will never in 3 lifetimes read everything in my collection.

I actually want to re-read the stuff I read as a kid more then the new .

Getting the CBG was the best! I started subscribing in 1976. Every Thursday when I got home from school it would be in the mailbox. The bad thing was that by then all the good stuff was usually sold already.

Greatest Moment: Selling one of my raw Tomato Box Hulk #181's (CGC 9.6 White Pages) for $2,100 in 2002.

Worst Moment: Selling one of my raw Tomato Box Hulk #181's (CGC 9.6 White Pages) for $2,100 in 2002.

:grin:

I've had a few ups and downs... though probably less exciting than some. But here are a few:

Downers:

-As Rich said, "getting a NM comic in FINE or worse shape" from eBay.

-Discovering my Secret Wars #8 in 9.6-9.8 had slid down in the longbox so that it was now an "L" shaped comic book

-Missing out on some good deals cause I waited too long/ hesitated

Ups:

-Unwrapping the entire Knightfall series in my old livingroom a year and a half ago. This was the first purchase towards getting back into comic collecting. This set was my pride and joy as a teen.

-Finishing all of the McFarlane ASMs especially #300 in VF/VF+ including the other Spidey issue surround the black suit/Venom (again, grew up on this stuff so it was big for me).

-Picking up a copy of ASM #3 in around G/VG for $87, an ASM #14 in GD+ for $25, and an Avengers #4 in GD+ - G/VG for $25!

-Ciorac mailing me his "spare" copy of Secret Wars #8 in 9.6 because he no longer needed it as a bookend for his GA. (thumbs u

Best moment: Buying a Superman 2-100 collection in one shot. Buying WDCS 1-88 collection in one shot.

Worst moment: Coming home to my apartment where a thief stole about $4000 in CGC books among other items.

Best moment 2: Seeing that he skipped over my AF 15 7.0 Blue label.

Best moment 3: Actually getting back 3/4 of the stolen books.

I thought I already posted this on this thread but I guess it didn't take :shrug:

Anyways -

Greatest Moment - hm The best moments I ever had all took place during the summer I was 11 (1978). I had been seriously collecting for a little over 3 years. I had mowed lawns all summer & fall and saved up my $25 a week credit from the LCS I worked part time at sweeping, cleaning, helping to stock, etc. Anyways the LCS owner sold me one of each of his copies of AF #15 and FF #1, both cost me a total of about $150 in cash and almost ALL my built up LCS labor credit. That Christmas about 2 months later he GAVE me ASM #1. That completed my full run of FFs and ASMs. I was so freakin happy!

Worst MomentFour years later when my Stepfather (:devil:) hauled those three and about 6,997 others to the City Dump citing "They are never going to be worth anything, you insufficiently_thoughtful_person!" :sick:

I thought I already posted this on this thread but I guess it didn't take :shrug:

Anyways -

Greatest Moment - hm The best moments I ever had all took place during the summer I was 11 (1978). I had been seriously collecting for a little over 3 years. I had mowed lawns all summer & fall and saved up my $25 a week credit from the LCS I worked part time at sweeping, cleaning, helping to stock, etc. Anyways the LCS owner sold me one of each of his copies of AF #15 and FF #1, both cost me a total of about $150 in cash and almost ALL my built up LCS labor credit. That Christmas about 2 months later he GAVE me ASM #1. That completed my full run of FFs and ASMs. I was so freakin happy!

Worst MomentFour years later when my Stepfather (:devil:) hauled those three and about 6,997 others to the City Dump citing "They are never going to be worth anything, you insufficiently_thoughtful_person!" :sick:

:tonofbricks:

Anyways -

:tonofbricks:

Yeah I know...I get literally so mad and depressed whenever I think about it that I get physically ill :frustrated:

I thought I already posted this on this thread but I guess it

GASP!

OMG.

Did you kill your stepfather???

I cringe because I have heard SO many similar stories, and from kid to adult and back again, I have to ask ...What in the HE LL gives our parents the right to toss out our stuff like that. Did he have a bug up his butt or something?

I'm crying.

Man, that is awfull.