• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest moment/worst moment in terms of comic collecting

89 posts in this topic

Best Moment: My first Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. She bought me an UXM #58. Sure, it's not a 9.4 or even a 7.5, but the fact that she walked into a store and got one for me is cool enough.

Worst Moment: Buying a Thor 148 from a reputable dealer/grader who said it was a NM/M+. Came back a 9.0. (I don't blame the person who sold it to me.)

Best moment was buying 30 + copies of Star Wars #1 off a seller on ebay and unpacking the books realizing most were 9.8/9.6 contenders. Away they went to CGC and thats what they came back as (well one was a 9.4)

Worst was selling my original collection when we bought the house in 1994. House has tripled in price....so maybe this is not a worst category contender, but I do miss those books.

Best moments:

- 1987 : First time i received a comic - book , i could'nt believe it... FF 290 :grin:

- 1989 : First time con' and first time i met artists , Zeck, Sienkiewicz, Lloyd, Schultz... :cloud9:

- 09/2004 : first important goal in my collector'slife : FF 1 (worship)

and more to come ... :wishluck:

Worst :

i missed two books i sold in past years JIM 83 and ASM 14 in 7.0 :sorry:

Best:

completing my first GA run in 1994...Action 1-100

worst:

having to sell that action 1-100 run in 1995 to fund my business start up (but, bittersweet as now the business has grown far more than the actions, but I do miss them!)

gator

Best Moment: My first Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. She bought me an UXM #58. Sure, it's not a 9.4 or even a 7.5, but the fact that she walked into a store and got one for me is cool enough.

Nice! That reminds me of a great moment I forgot about. I'm a college professor and one

of my students who I had written several recommendations for bought me a book off a want

list I had posted. It was a Daredevil 81. I was floored by the gesture, but even more so when

I found out it was an (ungraded) 9.4 purchased from Metropolis. Now that's above and beyond

the call of duty!!!

Best Moment:

At the San Diego Comic Con in 2002, I purchased the very elusive Journey Into Mystery #37, which not only completed the run of that title but also completed the run of the pre-hero Marvels, Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Amazing Adventures/Amazing Adult Fantasy, and Journey Into Mystery, which I had been working on completing for 10 years.

Worst Moments:

1. Losing my childhood collection of comics when my parent's got divorced and my mother and I moved from Las Cruces, New Mexico to Mesa, Arizona prior to starting 10th grade. That collection did not have much value compared to what I have now, but it meant the world to me at the time. I had trouble buying comics again until I was in college and found Fantasy Comics, a great LCS in Tucson. I think it was the movers who ended up with my collection. Fortunately, my sports card collection got through the move.

2. In the mid to late 90s, I used to go to an LCS in Phoenix named Lost Dutchman Comics. Over the years, I picked up some fairly good stuff from there. Shortly after the San Diego Comic Con one year, the owner of the shop came into possession of a mid-grade FF #5 and a JIM #84. He and I had agreed to do a trade and cash deal for those comics. The day I went to the store to do the deal, I found out the owner had already traded away the comics to another dealer. While I didn't end up letting that experience ruin my relationship with the dealer, things were never quite the same.