• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Ped?

14 posts in this topic

If it has only an "L" then it's never a Larson. That's also too late of an issue for a Larson.

Can anyone tell me the distiguishing marks on Larson Ped books? I seem to remember that they had a L scripted on the cover in pencil. One late night I placed a bid on the book below thinking it might be one of those Larsons

Hi Trooper, I've seen several books with this "L" on them which I also thought might be "Larson" copies.

I have an Amazing Man #17 with this type of mark. I got in touch with Jon Berk since his knowledge of Centaurs is legendary, and after telling him what I had and what other Centaurs I have seen with the same markings have been proven NOT to be Larsons. I told him about Funny Pages V4 N1 with this marking and he assured me it wasn't a Larson since he owned that Larson copy. That put my hopes to rest.

So I don't think this is a Larson either. Jon did tell me look for slight foxing as one the tell-tale signs, but not the only one.

I will post my Amazing Man so you can compare signatures. I have a list of several other Centaurs ( as this is my focus) with the same marks for anyone interested!!! Sorry to burst your bubble. Of course I may be wrong!!!

AmazingMan17.jpg

Nope. They aren't Larsons. I spoke to someone at CGC about this when a buddy of mine bought a few GA books with the "L" on the cover. Not sure who (possibly West) but they did confirm that these indeed are not Larson copies.

R.

bummer, but seems to me that there are a lot of the "L" books out there. Owned by the same person perhaps?

More likely an indication to the store as to which distributor the book came from, and therefore, who to return it to.

bummer, but seems to me that there are a lot of the "L" books out there. Owned by the same person perhaps?

There are also a number of Detroit Trolley copies w/ "L"s on 'em as well. Maybe a bookstore mark of some kind? The style appears slightly different on these.

Example of All Star Comics #3 w/ L - courtesy of Collectors Assemble.

AllStarComics-3-5.0-DET.jpg

Larson's normally have Lamont or Larson on the front cover.

Just add "arson" with pencil and you should be fine :grin:

Excellent! Uh oh, shouldn't have agreed. Now this thread with blow up into a 5000 comment conspiracy laden cluster *spoon*

And that would make it different than any other thread how?

Excellent! Uh oh, shouldn't have agreed. Now this thread with blow up into a 5000 comment conspiracy laden cluster *spoon*

Lets start a "how to counterfeit Pedigree comics thread"

:jokealert:

"Larson" or "Lamont" did not appear on covers until about mid 1939.....books toward the end would have "ad" (distributer mark--such as some Fox books) on them. Books before 1939 would have PN with a call back number (Publisher's News)....some..as stated, from this period had no marks..No larsons (except for the "Lost Larsons"-books owned by Larson, which i got from his boyhood friend) exist after cover date of September 1941

normally larsons are classically white paged with some foxing (closest pedigree like are Nova Scotia)

jb