• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auctions - How is this possible?

104 posts in this topic

Yet another reason to dislike Heritage. Throw it on the pile. :tonofbricks:

Yes, giving your bigger customers additional benefits is such a unique, evil thing to do. I can't imagine any other company in the world does that. meh

Actually, you're right and all the other companies who engage in that behavior suck just as bad.Just because favoritism and cronyism is common, does not make it less ugly. All the bidders like Shield are doing, is pumping up the bid total for the floor auction. I only bid on the live internet only auction and not the ones that go to the floor and very rarely now do I even bother to bid on heritage, in fact It's been 7 or 8 months since I have used them. I don't trust Heritage or those employed by them all that much.

So, let's pretend this was one of Heritage's Internet ONLY auctions. You bid on and won (or so you thought) a book and confirmed it well after the hammer dropped.

Then you login the next day and were outbid. How would you feel then?

Has this actually happened to anyone ?

C

Yet another reason to dislike Heritage. Throw it on the pile. :tonofbricks:

Yes, giving your bigger customers additional benefits is such a unique, evil thing to do. I can't imagine any other company in the world does that. meh

Actually, you're right and all the other companies who engage in that behavior suck just as bad.Just because favoritism and cronyism is common, does not make it less ugly. All the bidders like Shield are doing, is pumping up the bid total for the floor auction. I only bid on the live internet only auction and not the ones that go to the floor and very rarely now do I even bother to bid on heritage, in fact It's been 7 or 8 months since I have used them. I don't trust Heritage or those employed by them all that much.

So, let's pretend this was one of Heritage's Internet ONLY auctions. You bid on and won (or so you thought) a book and confirmed it well after the hammer dropped.

Then you login the next day and were outbid. How would you feel then?

Has this actually happened to anyone ?

C

Which is my point - does anyone know 100% for sure that legacy bidders don't have a special "window" after the fact for online auctions only?

No - because all the other options to bid are on Signature auctions only.

Signature auctions only end when the item has gone through the auction floor.

Bidding process therefore is relatively simple bid max want to spend and see if at end of auction whether you have won or not.

Close of bidding prior to floor session is not the end of the auction.

Bidding process therefore is relatively simple bid max want to spend and see if at end of auction whether you have won or not.

Thanks for the explanation. Is it that crazy to have wondered if legacy bidders got a bidding extension for Internet only though? I don't think so.

Agreed - total lack of info out there gives opportunity for confusion.

Heritage need to clarify options for all - back to the poor PR point that seems to dominated the boards over the last couple fo weeks.

Realistically, Heritage has no motiviation to clarify the options. It works for them, or they would have clarified them.

I believe the parameters are vague for a reason.

S.O.P.

Thanks for the explanation. Is it that crazy to have wondered if legacy bidders got a bidding extension for Internet only though? I don't think so.

Not crazy at all, with all the "irregularities" that pop up with this company. But in the future if I were to bid on one of those books, I think I'd get into the floor auctions and not even bother with the early bidding.

But in the future if I were to bid on one of those books, I think I'd get into the floor auctions and not even bother with the early bidding.

I'm watching them now. They seem to fly by pretty fast (under 10 seconds if there aren't any live bids).

What is the difference between Bid Placed (HALive) and Bid Placed (Book)?

But in the future if I were to bid on one of those books, I think I'd get into the floor auctions and not even bother with the early bidding.

I'm watching them now. They seem to fly by pretty fast (under 10 seconds if there aren't any live bids).

I'm watching it as well. That Heritage Live! software is pretty slick to say the least - huge red button ready to clean out your wallet!

I'm watching it as well. That Heritage Live! software is pretty slick to say the least - huge red button ready to clean out your wallet!

:signfunny:

a legacy client is one who has spent too much money with Heritage (like me).

From the website:

Extended Bidding for Legacy Clients

Update your bids after regular Internet bidding has closed on all signature lots. Bid on-line up to several hours before a live session starts in all Signature Auctions, not just until 10 PM the night before the session.

How many thousands does one have to spend to become a legacy client? After today, I perhaps I will become one :)

I believe after today I have eclipsed the $10,000 mark. Myself, I bid on 8 books, but was forced to pass on several of them to go after three main priorities:

1) Phantom Lady #22 CGC 7.5;

2) Phantom Lady #15 CGC 9.0;

3) Planet Comics #53 CGC 9.6.

I bid an insane amount of $ (at least for me) on the Planet, but was forced to stop at the next bid, which would have been over $3,000. If I would have had more time to think, I still don't think I could purchase for that much.

However, I managed to pick up two of my grails (paid more than I was hoping, but still quite happy):

pl22.jpg

pl15.jpg

Can't answer your question but thought i'd chime in with something I noticed.

It seems that whenever its internet only bidding, I win every book I want. Whenever there is a live floor bid though, I'm toast.

I was trying to snatch up all the Mary Marvels they had. I had max bids of $200 a piece which is usually money for any Mary Marvel or Wow Comics issues in the CGC 8.0-9.0 range. I won the Mary Marvel 16 9.0 "D" copy for $167 (includes BP), but the other 2 books (an 8.0 and a 9.2) went for $286 (with BP) and $250 (with BP).