• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manga destroying American comics for sales of graphic-novels

33 posts in this topic

interesting article in ny post today.

nypostmanga

Manga - Japanese for “comics" or “print cartoons" and pronounced “mah-nga" - routinely occupies the top spots on the best-seller comics lists. Last year it accounted for $205 million of the $330 million American graphic-novel business.

Visually, the difference between manga and comics like “Batman" and “Superman" is obvious.

its so true in my household I can`t get my kids or nephews to read other comics than manga. whats the American comicbook industry doing wrong? as I said before I was out of comics for 15 years and have recently came back. I was very shocked that marvel and dc published books with sales at 25 thousand and these are considered good sellers. When I left Spiderman,Spawn and X-men were in the millions.

its so true in my household I can`t get my kids or nephews to read other comics than manga. whats the American comicbook industry doing wrong?

Manga is written, targeted and priced towards teens.

NA Comics are written, targeted and priced towards 28-50 year old male nerds.

There's good Manga and bad, like anything else. I am very fond of Battle Angel Alita, Ghost In The Shell and Orion, off the top of my head, but of these, only GITS is being published currently.

To each his own, of course.

I will burn every single piece of manga material my kids ever bring into my home (when they're old enough that is)

I abhore manga...

I seriously doubt you're the target audience...

Teens who are prone to reading comics evidently love it. I think JC hit it on the head. Superhero GNs are geared specifically to the adult comics fanboys...an audience that is a becoming an endangered species.

The fact manga is so dominate doesn't surprised me whatsoever...

Jim

I will burn every single piece of manga material my kids ever bring into my home (when they're old enough that is)

I abhore manga...

I seriously doubt you're the target audience...

Teens who are prone to reading comics evidently love it. I think JC hit it on the head. Superhero GNs are geared specifically to the adult comics fanboys...an audience that is a becoming an endangered species.

The fact manga is so dominate doesn't surprised me whatsoever...

Jim

No question, I do realize the cultural, and generational, specifics that divide this subject. However, it still sucks! :acclaim:

and always will...

hm

It sucks the same way Captain America sucked to our parents.

(shrug)

They have a great target audience and have hit the nail on the head. Too bad Marvel, DC et al cannot do the same. They are losers in this respect. They launch a billion different alternate universes and all of it is for adults. Back in the 30's, 40's and onwards companies had their BEST creators in their kids books. Now we have all the beginners doing kids books until they are "good enough" to do the adult stuff. When is the last time you saw an Kirby,Adams, Miller, Schomburg-giant like creator do a children's book?

R.

I really can't stand it either. The art is just HORRIBLE.

I bet you'd get the same reaction from non-SH comics reading teens in regards to Kirby...or most any SH-geared art...

Jim

That is because the Manga style of art is what they were introduced to. It's true quality is irrelavent, because they raised with only one style of art and know no other.

"A man's palate can, in time, become accustomed to anything"

Many manga readers picked up manga because of anime. Manga art may be inferior to major label comic art, but anime is superior to comic-based cartoons. Furthermore, there is a wide variety of anime, whereas comic cartoons are very narrow in terms of storytelling. This wide appeal translates to greater interest in other forms of anime, and also leads to interest in versions and source material in book form.

Why hasn't comic-based movies done the same for interest? Well, the target audience is the adult population. That's great for the box office since this demographic has spending power, but this does not translate to comic book readership since these same adults are generally beyond the point where they'd be interested in comic books.

Many manga readers picked up manga because of anime. Manga art may be inferior to major label comic art, but anime is superior to comic-based cartoons. Furthermore, there is a wide variety of anime, whereas comic cartoons are very narrow in terms of storytelling. This wide appeal translates to greater interest in other forms of anime, and also leads to interest in versions and source material in book form.

Thanks for the insights. (thumbs u

P.S.: :gossip: You have one of the best avatars around.

I actually like Manga and I also like old American comics. I also have found some new comics enjoyable. I read some Manga and watch a little anime. The stories are so compelling and interesting in a manga, you become emotionally invested in the characters. I just can't say that about superhero comics, akthough I still like my SA Marvels.

I abhore manga...

:o

We agree on something! I detest manga..... but I do agree with kidcolt as well. I'm happy to see kids reading something that's sequential graphic art. I just hope they move on to the mainstream stuff.

We agree on something! I detest manga..... but I do agree with kidcolt as well. I'm happy to see kids reading something that's sequential graphic art. I just hope they move on to the mainstream stuff.

:gossip: Mango is mainstream to kids.

What you call "mainstream" is actually a niche, aging and shrinking market populated almost entirely by adults.

:gossip: Mango is mainstream to kids.

What you call "mainstream" is actually a niche, aging and shrinking market populated almost entirely by adults.

I have to agree with you, I guess the new generation finds it quite odd for grown man wearing thier underwear over tights and towel wrapped around neck to fight crime interesting. with internet,ipods etc... I guess the mainstream audience has gotten more sophisticated.