• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Classic Covers, designated by Overstreet and/or CGC
3 3

164 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2023 at 3:11 PM, Browns81 said:

How are “classic covers” decided

Judging by some of the examples, I have absolutely no idea.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:11 PM, Browns81 said:

, and how is AC1 not in the list?  It has to be the most well known and lampooned cover ever.

Like many key covers, it is known because of what it covers rather than on its own merits.

On 2/14/2023 at 11:22 AM, Picture*Books said:

Why do Wally Wood covers from the 1950's - especially the E.C. covers - look sooooo much better than the Wally Wood covers from the 1960's?

To bad we can't ask him that question 

On 2/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, comicjack said:

To bad we can't ask him that question 

Yes too bad, although from the artist's perspective I'm not certain we would get an objective answer, or opinion. From their perspective every cover they did was fantastic, every page a masterpiece.

From my perspective, Wood's artwork was cutting edge in the 1950's, and somehow his later work in the mid- and late- 1960's wasn't as brilliant relative to how comic book art had evolved. I remember collecting THUNDER Agents just because it was 'Wally Wood' artwork, and placed high regard on Daredevil 5-to-8 for the same reason, but in actuality, again at the time in the late 1960's, the action and postures seemed ... I dunno, 'stiff' for lack of a better term. I was such a fan of Woods that in 1970/71 I probably owned every comic book of his from the 1960's. Still, in retrospect, his artwork in the 1960's seems a second rate Burne Hogarth or Hal Foster, which is darn good, but not as great and as fresh as his work in the 1950's.

Edited by Picture*Books

I remember reading that Wood wanted to streamline his art in the sixties, feeling his earlier work was "too cluttered". I don't remember where I read it, but it was in an EC history book. Or maybe Comic Book Marketplace.

What about Reform School Girls. I know it's designated as a Classic Photo cover but probably deserves to be on any Classic cover list. (shrug) 

"Not mine, photo taken from the web"

s-l960.webp

Edited by Morganmi
Photo info added

On 8/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, path4play said:
On 8/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, path4play said:

Related question, what are the cover types listed as "-c" in overstreet price guide?

Or alternatively, what are the terms used by GCG, like Classic "fish in face" Cover.  Is there a list?

I'm not sure if I'm following the thread, idk, but there are these as well or in addition too "classic 'fish' cover and or other", which is "injury to eye",  I thought it was cool :) I know it originated with the GA I believe.

image.png.778401cff139b290e40916041ec654df.pngGetImage.aspx?c=3976869&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=OC8yNy8yMDIzIDE6MjU6MDAgUE0=

image.png

On 8/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure if I'm following the thread, idk, but there are these as well or in addition too "classic 'fish' cover and or other", which is "injury to eye",  I thought it was cool :) I know it originated with the GA I believe.

image.png.778401cff139b290e40916041ec654df.png

Exactly, this is what I am looking for.  So we have “Classic ‘fish in face’ covers,” “injury to eye covers,” “Lingerie covers” to “Classic Flag covers.”   What is the whole list?  Is there a list?