• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should be labeled a "classic cover," but isn't by Overstreet or CGC?

219 posts in this topic

FF-48-90JB.jpg

Not so much. (:

:o(tsk)

Hey, find my post were I explained my comment.

Yep. It's an OK cover. As we both noted earlier, #49 is superior (but, not a "Classic cover").

Yeah, but 49 doesn't have THE WATCHER on the cover!

And neither of them have Voodoo Joe.

Voodoo Joe :luhv:

FF-48-90JB.jpg

Not so much. (:

Yep. It's an OK cover. As we both noted earlier, #49 is superior (but, not a "Classic cover").

"You can have a beer...." :applause:

FF-48-90JB.jpg

Not so much. (:

Arsenic Lullaby deserves a classic cover designation

"You can have a beer...." :applause:

FF-48-90JB.jpg

Without question this is one of the true classic covers of the SA. The drama of the Watcher coming down to stand with humans in the face of this unseen menace...the people standing on the rooftops...the orange sunset.

I know it's all a matter of opinion, and different strokes for different folks, but Superman #11 sucks arse. Looks like a drawing I would've done at 12 years old. And I'm not a good artist.

Most of the early Superman covers were like that...simple...yet also poignant. I personally think its a masterpiece, in part for its simplicity.

But like you said..different strokes....

Beautiful books Jive.

The Dagar is a classic.

Thanks Rich.

Its hard to believe I've only been collecting GA for little over a year now...made some nice progress and managed to acquire some true gems.....though nothing that compares to your amazing collection. (worship)

I know it's all a matter of opinion, and different strokes for different folks, but Superman #11 sucks arse. Looks like a drawing I would've done at 12 years old. And I'm not a good artist.

Most of the early Superman covers were like that...simple...yet also poignant. I personally think its a masterpiece, in part for its simplicity.

But like you said..different strokes....

I hear ya. I actually like alot of the early Action/Supes covers. Supes #1, IMO, is one of the greatest covers ever. A classic image of a true icon.

I've scanned through this, maybe a little quickly. How are we defining classic? A cover that defines the essence of the lead character or theme of the comic? A cover that is definitive of its genre? A cover that is the very best example of a particular artist's work?

I am just not sure that a well-drawn or exciting cover is the same thing as classic -- no matter how good it is.

My 12¢

Dennis

We haven't defined a classic cover. I'm pretty sure no set definition exists. But to me it's got to be well known and famous, dramatic, and of course well drawn.

We haven't defined a classic cover. I'm pretty sure no set definition exists. But to me it's got to be well known and famous, dramatic, and of course well drawn.

CGC's definition:

Classic Cover. A cover that is recognized by the industry as being an excellent example of its kind and as such is highly prized by collectors.

Overstreet's definition:

CLASSIC COVER -A cover considered by collectors to be highly desirable because of its subject matter, artwork, historical importance, etc.

Clear as mud.