• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experience with Old Label Slab Upgrades

23 posts in this topic

What are your experiences with sending in CGC old label slabs to try and get a bump on the grade?

This is without manipulating the book in any way (ie: pressing).

I collect mainly CGC 9.4 or higher silver age JLA and am wondering what kind of results you have gotten

I am wondering if it is worth the effort and money, to buy CGC 9.2 old labels to try and get a bump to CGC 9.4 (especially for the books that are hard to find in 9.4 or higher)

It is the same with page quality. :)

Not with me (not yet anyway :wishluck:).

I've sent in a handful of old labeled JLAs in differing grades from 6.5-9.0 that were originally slabbed in 2002.

Every single one has received a PQ bump up. :grin:

Rick

How did you figure out when the books were slabbed?

Thanks.

Dan

I've sent in a handful of old labeled JLAs in differing grades from 6.5-9.0 that were originally slabbed in 2002.

Rick

Thanks.

Dan

Dan, the date the book was slabbed can be found if you're a collector society member: just enter the serial # on the "certification look-up/verification page."

Or -even easier- be the original owner of the books! (thumbs u

Rick

If you guys had a 10.0 and it was approaching 7 years old, would you submit it to CGC to be re-holdered, and take the chance it doesn't grade the same?

I can't imagine doing this... with the scarcity of 10.0's, but at the same time you want to make sure the book is as "safe" as possible. It's truly a dilemma.

How would you guys handle this situation?

Some go up, some go down and some stay the same. It is the same with page quality. :)

Yep. The older labels seem to have gone through different phases of strictness.

Every time I get the urge to resub or pay a premium for an old schooler, I remember a particular old label FF #28 I owned a few years ago. :sick:

Details, Cap?

Or is it too painful to dredge up?

Rick

No not really, I just wish I kept the scan.

I bought the book without seeing a clear scan, and it was the ugliest 9.2 ever! I really have no clue how it got that grade. I have had a lot of experience with slabbed 9.0's and 9.2's because that's the range I collect, and it sticks out in my mind as THE worst example of inconsistency on CGC's part that I have ever seen. I remember that book every time I hear someone say that old labeled books were graded stricter than they are now. I'm sure that was the case for a lot of books, but like the nature of comic grading itself, it's inconsistent. I evaluate books on an individual basis, regardless of which label it has.

Plus, I have the luxury of not caring too much about pressing. :baiting:

Rick

Thanks.

Dan

Dan, the date the book was slabbed can be found if you're a collector society member: just enter the serial # on the "certification look-up/verification page."

Or -even easier- be the original owner of the books! (thumbs u

Rick

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

Dan

Okay, I'm a noob and it will show.

You can send graded books back in for a PQ review? What's a PQ review and what does it do?

Actually it's a review. You pay a re-holder rate and ask for a review. The book gets a new certification number, and the grade and PQ may go up or down. You need to submit the books in the CGC case to do this.

What are your experiences with sending in CGC old label slabs to try and get a bump on the grade?

This is without manipulating the book in any way (ie: pressing).

I collect mainly CGC 9.4 or higher silver age JLA and am wondering what kind of results you have gotten

I am wondering if it is worth the effort and money, to buy CGC 9.2 old labels to try and get a bump to CGC 9.4 (especially for the books that are hard to find in 9.4 or higher)

I've sent in five old label books on straight resub. Four were upgraded, one was downgraded. You have to cherry pick which ones to resub, old label does not guarranty a more conservative grade.