• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF I

13 posts in this topic

Is this the proper forum for this question? I was thinking of placing a bid / depending on grade.

Based on the description I suspect that the seller knows the business.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANTASTIC-FOUR-1-1961-NICE-CLEAN-3-5-VG-NO-CHIPPING_W0QQitemZ190182291392QQihZ009QQcategoryZ32731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's hard to tell from the scans, but I was tinking mayber GVG?

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Jay

I am a little concerned because when I asked him if the book had been restored or trimmed, this is how he replied:

Hello David. I can give you a 100% guarantee that there is no restoration oin this comic or that the book has been trimmed. I live 45 minutes below CGC's office in Sarasota and I hand walked this comic into CGC with all of the others. Enjoy! Fred

Clearly, the book isn't slabbed, nor is it represented to be. hm

I am a little concerned because when I asked him if the book had been restored or trimmed, this is how he replied:

Hello David. I can give you a 100% guarantee that there is no restoration oin this comic or that the book has been trimmed. I live 45 minutes below CGC's office in Sarasota and I hand walked this comic into CGC with all of the others. Enjoy! Fred

Clearly, the book isn't slabbed, nor is it represented to be. hm

his write-ups contain general wording about CGC slabs, but this is clearly not one of them. that makes this response quite odd. it's almost like he had it graded and then broke it out of the slab for some reason???

however, he has a 99.9% Feedback rating on over 4000 different transactions.

(i know that guartantees nothing, but is somewhat reassuring).

this book is almost certainly the grade he has assessed it at. except for that stain on the BC, i think it's much nicer than gcox's AF 15 (graded here recently) that came back a 4.0 despite missing chunks all over and a similar 7inch corner crease.

his BIN price is right on line with the 12month GPA average, but the most recent 3.5 Blue label went for $2500, so why not slab it before selling if it's a 3.5??

this is the usual Ebay crapshoot........... :/

if I were interested in this book, i would engage the seller in conversation immediately............. :wishluck:

I believe the feedback given in this thread is spot on.

I was originally attracted to the book due to the sellers high feedback for this relatively "hot" lower grade issue.

The seller seemed adamant that the book had no restoration. He said,

"There is no restoration of any kind on this copy!"

I took him at his word (basis high feedback) and wondered what the problem with the book was. THe seller didn't seem to be a comic novice so I wondered why the book wasn/t slabbed. He asked the GVG slab price in the BIN not the VG- price. Therefore, why discount the book unless you doubt your own grade? or trimming is not restoration? So is the book a VG- or GVG or possibly lower?

The line that bothered me in the text was

"There are NO returns please on comic book purchases as I have heard horror stories of some of them getting switched!"

When the buyer is basically saying NO RETURNS up front is there much to negotiate? What are you going to return? Another FF! with different creases?

Thanks guys for confirming my thinking. I'm passing and ill bestow the honor of bidding to someone else.

Jay

In additon to comics I collect stamps (where counterfeits are plenty). In both hobbies I have a rule:

If it's more than $500 I want 3rd party grading and testing.

I'll break that rule for someone I have dealt with for years, but otherwise I would walk away or assume the worst.

this book is almost certainly the grade he has assessed it at. except for that stain on the BC, i think it's much nicer than gcox's AF 15 (graded here recently) that came back a 4.0 despite missing chunks all over and a similar 7inch corner crease.

That grade shocked me (the AF15). I wouldn't my opinion on a grade on that, frankly. Personally I don't think this book is a 4.0. It could go 3.5.

I don't have that GPA data. I did check recent auctions at Heritage and his Bin seems a bit high. (shrug)

Indeed the answer to divad's inquiry is cryptic at best...looks like a pretty nice book but that bit of information throws me...hard as well to tell if there may or may not be rust at bottom staple...surely is in the 3.0-3.5 range but the issue of restored-unrestored would have to have a return policy behind it to spend this kind of money...I think your thinking is sound on this one...lots of FF 1s out there and when you're ready to pull the trigger at the price it will command EVERYTHING has to be in order...GOOD LUCK with your search...

I believe the feedback given in this thread is spot on.

I was originally attracted to the book due to the sellers high feedback for this relatively "hot" lower grade issue.

The seller seemed adamant that the book had no restoration. He said,

"There is no restoration of any kind on this copy!"

I took him at his word (basis high feedback) and wondered what the problem with the book was. THe seller didn't seem to be a comic novice so I wondered why the book wasn/t slabbed. He asked the GVG slab price in the BIN not the VG- price. Therefore, why discount the book unless you doubt your own grade? or trimming is not restoration? So is the book a VG- or GVG or possibly lower?

The line that bothered me in the text was

"There are NO returns please on comic book purchases as I have heard horror stories of some of them getting switched!"

When the buyer is basically saying NO RETURNS up front is there much to negotiate? What are you going to return? Another FF! with different creases?

Thanks guys for confirming my thinking. I'm passing and ill bestow the honor of bidding to someone else.

Jay

A fine analysis Jay! (thumbs u

And here I thought jkrk was a Trekkie . . . ;)