• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Submission Results...

67 posts in this topic

Not to bring up the subject again...but all of these comics, with the exception of the WMD #17 which I don't know, are confirmed unpressed... :grin:

Jim

Are you sure? I could have sworn I saw grill marks on that Wyatt Earp #31. :baiting:

Not to bring up the subject again...but all of these comics, with the exception of the WMD #17 which I don't know, are confirmed unpressed... :grin:

Jim

Are you sure? I could have sworn I saw grill marks on that Wyatt Earp #31. :baiting:

Absolutely... lol

Jim

Where Monsters Dwell #17 - Bought from Metro as 9.6 - 9.2 OW-W

doh! Not surprising at all. This is my experience and a lot of others have had the same disappointment.

Mike

Ya know, I was going to say exactly the same thing.

I have to agree. They tend to grade one or two notches higher than CGC (and Overstreet) standards.

Where Monsters Dwell #17 - Bought from Metro as 9.6 - 9.2 OW-W

doh! Not surprising at all. This is my experience and a lot of others have had the same disappointment.

Mike

Ya know, I was going to say exactly the same thing.

I have to agree. They tend to grade one or two notches higher than CGC (and Overstreet) standards.

My last 3 purchases:

1st .5 higher than CGC

2nd Right on

3rd .25 lower than CGC (6.75 came back 7.0)

My last 3 purchases:

1st .5 higher than CGC

2nd Right on

The #17 was bought a couple years ago. I was told their grading was getting better and from your experience it seems to imply that...or is it just coincidence? (shrug)

Jim

My last 3 purchases:

1st .5 higher than CGC

2nd Right on

The #17 was bought a couple years ago. I was told their grading was getting better and from your experience it seems to imply that...or is it just coincidence? (shrug)

Jim

I will share my recent experience with Metro. I bought one or two Tremont books, and was very satisfied with the grading. So I bought a couple more, and again very satisfied, so I bought just a few more Tremonts and roughly 6 others from the site. Unfortunately, half of that order went back.

Most of the ones that went back I didn't even have to pull out of the bag to see the defects. NM/MT 9.8 with color breaking creases you can see through a yellowed bag.... :makepoint:

Those were obviously graded many many moons ago.

I will say that I am happy if my purchases are within a grade, and the ones I kept are at CGC. I will post the results when I get them back :wishluck:

Oh, there customer service is top-notch; no problems at all with the return.

Jim,

Excellent results on the submissions, Jim! :applause:

I remember well the Ghosts and Witching Hour books...sweet copies. :cloud9:

I might start a Mildenhall 'Where Are They Now' thread. hm I know a fair number have been slabbed, and a number have been sold on, and I've got maybe 65 that I took for myself...it might be quite cool to bring them all together again, so to speak.

I might start a Mildenhall 'Where Are They Now' thread. hm I know a fair number have been slabbed, and a number have been sold on, and I've got maybe 65 that I took for myself...it might be quite cool to bring them all together again, so to speak.

It might be interesting to see what the slabbed copies have graded out at... hm

Jim

My last 3 purchases:

1st .5 higher than CGC

2nd Right on

Jim

I would have to say that their grading is getting better. The first example I gave was a book that had been on the site for quite a while. This would also coincide with the example Timmay gave with the yellowed bag. I always request a scan before purchasing. I am supplied with a huge front and back cover scan every time.

Mike

Jim

Excellent idea. I just had a FT VF+ slabbed came back a 9.0 :applause:

Jim

I got a Mildenhall Thor 237 from Nik that is a CGC 9.6 :banana:

And I submitted three Mildenhall "NM+" books myself because they were so sweet. All three came back 9.8 :banana: :banana: :banana:

All of this Metro bashing is really upsetting.

I have found that, when the books are CGC graded, their grading perfectly matches that stated on the holders.

I have found that, when the books are CGC graded, their grading perfectly matches that stated on the holders.

I always look at the big numbers in the top left if I'm unsure :makepoint:

No Metro bashing here; just a couple of board members commenting on their grading.

:signfunny:

You know, here's the thing... I wish everybody out there graded more closely to CGC. There are some guys (named in this thread) that obviously do. Kudos to them! I'm definitely more likely to buy from them than a competitor who I know grades softly.

That said, I think it's wholly unfair for us to complain about people who don't grade entirely in line with CGC. We're expecting them to hold to an UNPUBLISHED standard. CGC's grading scale isn't public. Now we can all get pretty close if we work at it, but at the same time I have a real problem with calling people out simply because they don't grade quite the same as CGC. Until the standard is out in the wild, so to speak, it's not really their fault. They're not disregarding anything. Some of these people are probably grading books the same way they always have. (A good example of this is Harley Yee. Sometimes he sells me a book that grades better and sometimes worse. But the way he grades defects is fairly consistant, enough so that I'm comfortable buying from him.)

So that's my two cents. I do agree that you have to take grading into account when buying a book (ie is it worth the price?). But I'm not going to rag on people who aren't exactly in line with CGC, especially since they're still usually with in .5-1 grade of them (which I think is all you can ask for.)

I always look at the big numbers in the top left if I'm unsure :makepoint:

No Metro bashing here; just a couple of board members commenting on their grading.

I didn't bash metro either.

Jim

I got a Mildenhall Thor 237 from Nik that is a CGC 9.6 :banana:

And I submitted three Mildenhall "NM+" books myself because they were so sweet. All three came back 9.8 :banana: :banana: :banana:

:o :o :o

doh!