• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Submission Results...

67 posts in this topic

Just got back my first submission to test the CGC waters. Submitted these at Orlando-Con on 20 Sept.

Monsters on the Prowl #13 - Bought as a VF+ from Bob Storms - Grade 8.5 OW-W

Wyatt Earp #31 - Bought on the internet as a VF - Grade 9.2 OW-W

Where Monsters Dwell #17 - Bought from Metro as 9.6 - 9.2 OW-W

Witching Hour #38 - Bought from Flaming_Telegraph as NM- - 9.4 W

Ghost #40 - Bought from Flaming_Telegraph as NM - 9.4 W

Gun-Slinger #2 - Bought as a NM- from Bob Storms - 9.2 OW-W (I may call for the grading notes on this one as it looks like a 9.4-9.6 candidate)

Overall, except for the Gun-Slinger, it's about what I expected considering I could only go through a single shortbox of recent buys due to the rest of the collection being inaccessable at the time...

Jim

Congrats on your first submissions. I'm always glad when people post these and we can see how they do. Nice to see the people whos grading I think highly of do in fact do very very well against that standard.

Strangely enough, I feel badly I didn't do that with any of my round of submissions. I can kind of some up how I did though.

Fathom 12 Holochrome I thought 9.8 CGC thought 9.6

Fallen Son 3 I thought 9.6 CGC thought 9.8

After the Cape 1 I thought 9.4 CGC thought 9.8

Amazing Spider-Man 41 I thought qualified 5.0 CGC thought 1.5 Incomplete (grr)

Amazing Spider-Man 42 I thought 5.0 CGC thought 4.5

Amazing Spider-Man 46 I thought 2.5 CGC thought 3.0

Overall, it seems both like the reputeable dealers grade well vs the CGC standard and it seems like someone who learns grading by watching here on the boards learns well also.

I have to say, I'm really happy with CGC. And I'll also be the first to admit that I was very against it from the get-go.

Just got back my first submission to test the CGC waters. Submitted these at Orlando-Con on 20 Sept.

Monsters on the Prowl #13 - Bought as a VF+ from Bob Storms - Grade 8.5 OW-W

Wyatt Earp #31 - Bought on the internet as a VF - Grade 9.2 OW-W

Witching Hour #38 - Bought from Flaming_Telegraph as NM- - 9.4 W

Ghost #40 - Bought from Flaming_Telegraph as NM - 9.4 W

Gun-Slinger #2 - Bought as a NM- from Bob Storms - 9.2 OW-W (I may call for the grading notes on this one as it looks like a 9.4-9.6 candidate)

Overall, except for the Gun-Slinger, it's about what I expected considering I could only go through a single shortbox of recent buys due to the rest of the collection being inaccessable at the time...

Jim

Seems like CGC has been good to a few of us today (thumbs u

I'm always glad when people post these and we can see how they do. Nice to see the people whos grading I think highly of do in fact do very very well against that standard.

Agreed (thumbs u

I know my first CGC submission was a learning experience.

I'm always glad when people post these and we can see how they do. Nice to see the people whos grading I think highly of do in fact do very very well against that standard.

Agreed (thumbs u

I think everyone's is :o

Why would you bother subbing these? Just trying to see how CGC handles low grade books?

Why would you bother subbing these? Just trying to see how CGC handles low grade books?

They were subbed for signature series and now have pretty Romita sigs on them! (Plus they're my favorite Spidey keys Rhino, MJ, and Shocker). But I wouldn't have subbed if not for that purdy yellow label.

They were subbed for signature series and now have pretty Romita sigs on them! (Plus they're my favorite Spidey keys Rhino, MJ, and Shocker). But I wouldn't have subbed if not for that purdy yellow label.

Ah. (thumbs u

Congratulations on the submissions, Jim. It reflects what I have been told time and time again. Metro is a little soft on their grading and Flaming_Telepath is someone that you can buy books from sight unseen and not have a worry in the world. Bob Storms is usually spot on as well.

Very well done. :)

Agreed (thumbs u

I think everyone's is :o

You guys are scaring me. I'm still waiting for my first results :eek:

doh! Not surprising at all. This is my experience and a lot of others have had the same disappointment.

Mike

Ya know, I was going to say exactly the same thing.

Pretty much Jim's experience with the different sources and their grading is right on the money.

Congratulations on the submissions, Jim. It reflects what I have been told time and time again. Metro is a little soft on their grading and Flaming_Telepath is someone that you can buy books from sight unseen and not have a worry in the world. Bob Storms is usually spot on as well.

Very well done. :)

Nah, Nick is one of the worst UNDERgraders I know. :banana:

Great work with the Wyatt Earp, Jim! That is a tough book! How about digging up a #30 in 9.2 and hooking a brother up? :foryou:

I think I do have two that'll grade 9.2...was going to submit one but didn't have access to them at the time... hm

Jim

Congrats Jim! :applause:

I see Metro was a little off meh

I'm worried about my FF #48 I bought off them as a VF/NM. hm

what did you grade the FF 48 as?...that is my favorite SA book :)

I have it as a VF/NM as well. This is my first sub & I don't want to think it has a shot at NM- and then itr comes back an 8.5.

As fior Metro Vince was pretty good customer servicewise, but my overall first experience buying from them was not a good one. I was sold three "VF+" books (FF 49, 50, 52) that weren't even VF- :frustrated: I showed them to Richard and Doc Watson at WW Texas and they agreed with my grading summation. I didn't try to return them because too much time had passed. I received them in April and the Army had me busy until October. I would get angry every time I looked at them so I sold them at WW for about a 1/3 what I paid for them just to get rid of them

I'm hoping the #48 is at least a VF/NM so at least the purchase wouldn't be a total wash :wishluck: