• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC's Golden Age grading. An outrage?

120 posts in this topic

Hockeyguy:

Don't get me wrong. I love hockey, and yes, I can skate. But 55 is no age to take up competitive sports. I don't have a weight problem since I'm more than reasonably active. Nor do I have bad knees or a bad back or anything from previous days as an athlete, because I was never good enough at anything to make any teams!

I'm no stranger to the gym though and I now look like I could have been an athlete thirty years ago. But one thing's for sure, regardless of how hard you exercise or how "fit" you get at my age, you can never get back that feeling of raw vitality you had as a 25 year old.

lol

What is this? Do you fellows even know the neaning of the word "shill"?

Try this one:

A shill is an associate of a person selling goods or services or a political group, who pretends no association to the seller/group and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.'Shill' can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws.

So whose products/services could I possibly be promoting? All I've done is question CBG's more liberal grading of older comics. Have you all been drinking with Sal in his mother's basement or what?

Well, you make no attempt to conceal the fact that you're here primarily to annoy people and that you find that as a benefit. Well, if that's not a case for the moderators to send you packing then what is?

Oh and by the way, you remind me of this guy I used to play hockey with. He ran his mouth alot until I punched him in the face. Now I'm not advocating violence, least of all against you you fine sir. The point is he talked a big game to mask his insecurities. It's a common problem faced by juveniles like yourself.

Deliberately starting inflammatory posts and getting a "side benefit" from annoying people. I wouldn't call you a looney as Trooper did. No, I think a $$hole is more appropriate.

You're in Toronto, huh? You don't by chance play hockey do you? Maybe we can play together sometime. :cloud9:

I play hockey.....and used to love to talk a lot of trash until this guy in toronto socked me.

:insane:

I do play....but I always win the fights. :sumo:

Haven't you heard? Nobody ever wins a fight. Fighting bad. :sumo:

I haven't laced up in awhile. Darn kids keep getting in the way of my fun. That and the wife says she's tired of being embarrassed by the number of times I get thrown out of games. What's to be embarrassed about? (shrug)

Hey Hepcat....you should try to play hockey. I recommend it to everyone. For starters it would definitely help you shed some extra pounds. And given enough time and practice will work wonders for your uncoordinated arse! :baiting: And it beats the internet because you can always punch somebody in the face :grin: and not feel too bad about it! It is hockey afterall.

You are so right...I will not ever fight again, unless it's completely retaliatory or I get bumped off the puck. Actually, I've always been the guy to turn the other cheek, until I don't.

I still play on two teams and coach my son. It's a life sport, unlike football or some others. Great for coordination, and team play. Cheers to all you fella's playing hockey in your 30's 40's 50's and 60's.

It's much better than letting the beer can fall from the sky on your head. (thumbs u Pic is last year of my son....it get's better every year coaching and seeing the kids improve.... :applause:

49720-PICT0769.JPG.257e3d000dba73e2570e8ffcace4d763.JPG

What is this? Do you fellows even know the neaning of the word "shill"?

Try this one:

A shill is an associate of a person selling goods or services or a political group, who pretends no association to the seller/group and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.'Shill' can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws.

So whose products/services could I possibly be promoting? All I've done is question CBG's more liberal grading of older comics. Have you all been drinking with Sal in his mother's basement or what?

Well, you make no attempt to conceal the fact that you're here primarily to annoy people and that you find that as a benefit. Well, if that's not a case for the moderators to send you packing then what is?

Oh and by the way, you remind me of this guy I used to play hockey with. He ran his mouth alot until I punched him in the face. Now I'm not advocating violence, least of all against you you fine sir. The point is he talked a big game to mask his insecurities. It's a common problem faced by juveniles like yourself.

Deliberately starting inflammatory posts and getting a "side benefit" from annoying people. I wouldn't call you a looney as Trooper did. No, I think a $$hole is more appropriate.

You're in Toronto, huh? You don't by chance play hockey do you? Maybe we can play together sometime. :cloud9:

I play hockey.....and used to love to talk a lot of trash until this guy in toronto socked me.

:insane:

I do play....but I always win the fights. :sumo:

Haven't you heard? Nobody ever wins a fight. Fighting bad. :sumo:

I haven't laced up in awhile. Darn kids keep getting in the way of my fun. That and the wife says she's tired of being embarrassed by the number of times I get thrown out of games. What's to be embarrassed about? (shrug)

Hey Hepcat....you should try to play hockey. I recommend it to everyone. For starters it would definitely help you shed some extra pounds. And given enough time and practice will work wonders for your uncoordinated arse! :baiting: And it beats the internet because you can always punch somebody in the face :grin: and not feel too bad about it! It is hockey afterall.

You are so right...I will not ever fight again, unless it's completely retaliatory or I get bumped off the puck. Actually, I've always been the guy to turn the other cheek, until I don't.

I still play on two teams and coach my son. It's a life sport, unlike football or some others. Great for coordination, and team play. Cheers to all you fella's playing hockey in your 30's 40's 50's and 60's.

It's much better than letting the beer can fall from the sky on your head. (thumbs u Pic is last year of my son....it get's better every year coaching and seeing the kids improve.... :applause:

That is AWESOME!

Alas, I have two young daughters and despite my forcing them to sit and watch Red Wings games with me they don't seem particularly interested at this point in time. (shrug) Something about Barbie doesn't like toothless hockey players.

Keep it up with your son that's fantastic! And keep on playing. I'm hoping in another year or two i'll be back out there bad left hand and all. :wishluck:

In the meantime, I seem to have run into a hornet's nest of CGC fans/ lovers/defenders/apologists, whatever. Here's what I said:

More evidence that CGC is nothing but a dealers' conspiracy to drive up prices.

"More evidence."

That evidence being that CGC loosens its grading standards when it comes to golden age books. I'm not the only one who sees evidence of this.

"nothing but"

Okay. That was an overstatement. CGC gives every appearance of being a highly profitable business in its own right.

"dealers'"

My understanding is that CGC was launched by individuals who were up until that point dealers in collectibles.

"conspiracy"

Two or more individuals working together. That's all that's needed. There's well over two individuals behind CGC.

"to drive up prices".

Given that the individuals who launched CGC must have been well aware that similar grading services had the effect of driving up prices in other collectible areas, I believe that they anticipated that CGC would do the same for comics.

Hence, CGC has been a boon to many if not most comic dealers. Dealers do, after all, trade in inventory appreciation.

It seems to me that those who have taken issue with my statement have a vested interest in CGC books and thus in CGC's continued success. Otherwise, why the histrionics?

If I've offended anyone with my statement(s), so be it. I'm letting them stand.

:makepoint:

lol lol lol Absolutely laughable

Next your going to tell us that man didn't walk on the moon in 1969...

No, but I am going to tell you that I think you're a jerk.

So here it is, over three years later, and I never see any of you jerks who called me a "shill" posting in any of the comic threads I frequent. In fact, I don't see you contributing content anywhere.

So which of us joined this board just to fight? You answer me that.

Sounds like you have been spoiling for a fight for three years.

You are a tenacious one (thumbs u

I live through my son with hockey. He really seems to have a passion for it. I hope he continues with it. He's a lefty which is weird because he's right handed. I was told that Wayne Gretzky could play both left and right handed and this gave him an edge.

I am dreading the 7am games/practice.

hockeyNiels.jpg

I'm right-handed but I play hockey left-handed. It's very common among hockey players, all the way up to the pros. The reason is this: when you shoot left handed, your left hand is in the middle of the stick, while your right hand is at the top of the stick. When you are not shooting, just skating, puck handling, playing defense, or trying to poke check the puck, the hand that is always on the stick is the top hand, and many players prefer that to be their dominant hand.

For me, I always felt that I could shoot harder right handed, but was more accurate, especially on wrist shots, left handed.

Sounds like you have been spoiling for a fight for three years.

You are a tenacious one (thumbs u

Everytime I come across this thread I get angry all over again. Twas quite the welcome I received.

rantrant

I live through my son with hockey. He really seems to have a passion for it. I hope he continues with it. He's a lefty which is weird because he's right handed. I was told that Wayne Gretzky could play both left and right handed and this gave him an edge.

I am dreading the 7am games/practice.

hockeyNiels.jpg

I don't think it's as prevalent as it was even 15 years ago but growing up, almost everybody I knew shot left handed, including the kids who were natural righties.

I was watching last year's frozen four tourney the other day and on one power play, Boston College had 4 righties on the ice. I've been involved with hockey for over 2 decades and that's the first time I could recall actually noticing 4 righties on the ice for one team at the same time.

For me, I always felt that I could shoot harder right handed, but was more accurate, especially on wrist shots, left handed.

I shoot left handed. Play golf left handed (even though I started out right handed) and I bat right handed in softball. I can swing the bat left handed but with little to no power. If I tried to shoot a hockey puck from the right side, I imagine one of two things would happen. I'd get no lift on the puck whatsoever and it'd probably reach a velocity of 20-22 mph or I'd whiff completely and perhaps bite it totally. Completely unnatural feeling.

So here it is, over three years later, and I never see any of you jerks who called me a "shill" posting in any of the comic threads I frequent.

Maybe the threads you frequent suck (shrug) As for the others not contributing anything, are you ing serious?! They've contributed more to these boards than you ever will. Hell, I've contributed more than you - and I haven't contributed :censored:

So here it is, over three years later, and I never see any of you jerks who called me a "shill" posting in any of the comic threads I frequent.

Maybe the threads you frequent suck (shrug) As for the others not contributing anything, are you ing serious?! They've contributed more to these boards than you ever will. Hell, I've contributed more than you - and I haven't contributed :censored:

Your avatar is greatly appreciated!