• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? about selling this time of year

23 posts in this topic

Hello, I just recieved my CGC shipment and was wondering if anyone could tell me if now is a bad time (insert jokes here) to sell on ebay? I was thinking of posting a few seven day auctions starting this Sunday the 23rd. Are less people looking this time of the year, Should I wait? Thanks for your input

I have wondered the same thing. (shrug) One one hand, lots of people get cash for Xmas/Hannukah, or they've been given a Christmas bonus at their jobs. Couple this with holiday time off, and there should be more spare time and cash for people to cruise the eBay listings. On the other hand, people get busy/stressed or they are traveling and eBay may be the furthest thing from their minds.

Hello, I just recieved my CGC shipment and was wondering if anyone could tell me if now is a bad time (insert jokes here) to sell on ebay? I was thinking of posting a few seven day auctions starting this Sunday the 23rd. Are less people looking this time of the year, Should I wait? Thanks for your input

To end on Sunday the 30th, the day before New Year's Eve? Well, just so long as it isn't Monday then that isn't soooo bad. I made the mistake of ending auctions on Halloween this year. Didn't realize it until about 3 days before. They didn't go well.

By Sunday everyone will have some Christmas gift cash in their pockets and be almost a week out from the big Holiday. It might work for you. However, the booze tab for NYE is a big thing you'll be competing with. You might want to wait and post on the 30th as the auctions' start rather than end.

Awww, I dunno. eBay is always a gamble anyway.

It depends on whatcha' got.....it is my experience that high demand books sell anytime you feel like selling them, and the calendar doesn't matter. So that we can help you the most.....watcha' got? :popcorn:

Personally, I don't sell on ebay during any holiday week...because, as someone else mentioned, lots of traveling going on...and, while there are always bidders on ebay, if you are not at least allowing yourself the most exposure, then why do it (unless, as steve pointed out, you have a high demand book, then anytime is good)?..

I will begin listing stuff again after the 1st, but have not listed anything in the last 2 weeks

gator

Ebay usually runs a listing sale, after Christmas, because it's slow...look for a seller sale Wednesday or Thursday, 20-cent listing fees...or something...

I Rarely sell on those days, your stuff gets lost in the mass of people listing junk for $10,000.00 cause it costs 20-cents. However, a good friend of mine, once pointed out, that sellers list, expecting not to sell, but then relist for a cheap fee.

I've found, in the past, buy it nows, right after Christmas, do OK, people are often bored, and they are looking to spend the cash they get, so they shop.

I'll probably put some stuff up at the end of next week...but I'm not in a rush, January does OK.

Good luck!

You know what...I think this is an EXCELLENT post/topic because I have often wondered the same thing.

I made the horendous mistake of putting something up almost 2 weeks ago, a 9.8 savage tales bronze age mag HIGHEST on census. Went for $68 and I was WAY disappointed. Won't make that mistake again.

So another question then...10 day or 7 day listings?

What day to start/finish?

I have found that ending anything on a Sunday night gets the worst results.

I have found that ending anything on a Sunday night gets the worst results.

Really? I've always heard that Sunday night is the best time to end an auction, because people tend to be home and near their computers.

I've had mixed results on Sunday and have gone with ending on Saturday nights for quite awhile...it seems to get the best results. Never tried a 10-day listing...I always list Saturday to Saturday. I think with the exception of high demand stuff, there simply won't be as many bidders during the Holidays due to lack of funds and traveling. I usually never list past Dec.15th but made an exception this year since I have been spending so much recently...need some cash for Christmas gifts! :wishluck:

But really so much about selling on eBay is luck...you need at least 2 bidders at just the right time to get into a little bidding war. I'm betting in many cases where something went for far less than market value, the high bidder probably had a max bid in the ballpark of where it should be, but for whatever reason nobody else bumped up his proxy to get there. Some might argue that whatever the ending price is, THAT is the market value. But I say that is only partially true...it is the current market value for that particular moment in time only. The same book in the same condition could sell a day (or hours) later for much more because 1 additional person happened to see it and ran up the price.

Total crapshoot...but it sure is fun! :acclaim:

Wow, Thanks for the input! I think I will wait until Jan and try a Sat to Sat auction. I have a few CGC lots, GSXM 1&2 8.5/8 White pages, ASM 14, 4.0 white pages and maybe a hulk 180, 81, 82 4.5 set. And some more silver and bronze books that I have in the maybe pile. I am looking for a Full size Green Arrow statue with no damage or ASM 539 original art pages if anyone wants to trade just let me know what your looking for, I have some silver and bronze graded and raw but no gold except a bats 75 because I like that cover. Happy Holidays