• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007/2008 GRADING CONTEST: Round 4

132 posts in this topic

Boy I'm glad I lowered my grade to 8.5.

My first impresssion was 9.2 before PMing about the dirty back cover.

:insane:

Shoulda look a little harder... :devil:

We've all seen dirty 9.6 back covers...so what killed this book?

Exactly! We all learned in a previous grading contest that CGC doesn't care one iota about dirt on the back cover. (shrug)

A second very costly lesson for me. I had no idea that CGC doesn't care about soiling. That seems strange to me, but hey, now I know I've got books that are higher grade than I thought!

(But seriously, I'd be PO'd if I bought a 9+ book and it was dirty, and seriously PO'd if it was as dirty as this book.)

I am new to grading, having just pick collecting back up, and decided to join this contest to test myself.

I marked this book down for many of the other reasons posted but also the 4/21 writing in the front left corner. Is this an accurate assumption?

You are higher than most of us on the chart. I wouldn't be asking us any questions. :grin:

BTW Welcome to the boards.

I am new to grading, having just pick collecting back up, and decided to join this contest to test myself.

I marked this book down for many of the other reasons posted but also the 4/21 writing in the front left corner. Is this an accurate assumption?

Yep. You're doing an awesome job so far... never more than 1 grade off. Very impressive!

Kudos to all the people who are at the top of the charts so far. (thumbs u

Hi, BW, and welcome to the boards! :hi:

Regarding the "4/21" written on the cover --- smallish dates that are hand-written or rubber-stamped on a cover usually don't impact a book's grade at all. Many shop owners in those days would mark the date that a comic arrived in their store, or the date that they would pull it off the shelves to return to the publisher. According tot he Overstreet Grading Guide (I am looking at my copy of the 3rd Edition), "small, inconspicuous dates/initials [are] allowed" even in a 9.9 Mint book. Some collectors, though, dislike dates and so may pay less for such a book or not buy it at all. Others appreciate the dates as a little piece of history that gives a book character without impacting the grade.