• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

Whew...... I'm just going take a time out and just savor the incredible books you guys have posted. I've pulled books,from my collection, that I have not looked at in many,many moons.

Adam Strange, that HOM # 5, a fantastic cover, one of my favorites, it looked flawless. I have two nice copies, but yours blows mine away.

Bill, the copies you have are some thing else. Did you run across a particular high grade collection all at one time or like me just accumulated issues here and there over the years? I have picked up some Big Apple copies of the other DC mystery/scifi titles. I'm digging for more to post later.

Edited by RICK STARR

Whew...... I'm just going take a time out and just savor the incredible books you guys have posted. I've pulled books,from my collection, that I have not looked at in many,many moons.

Adam Strange, that HOM # 5, a fantastic cover, one of my favorites, it looked flawless. I have two nice copies, but yours blows mine away.

Bill, the copies you have are some thing else. Did you run across a particular high grade collection all at one time or like me just accumulated issues here and there over the years? I have picked up some Big Apple copies of the other DC mystery/scifi titles. I'm digging for more to post later.

Back in the 90's I answered a classified ad in the Comic Buyer's Guide about a book -- I cant remember the title -- anyway, I got to talking with the gent selling the book and he mentioned that he had a bunch of nice HOM and HOS books that he would be willing to part with.

Being a "Kirby Zombie" at the time, I was only interested in the Kirby issues of those titles -- and wanted to cherry-pick his collection. However, he only wanted to sell everything or nothing...I eventually agreed and I am soooo glad he stuck to his guns!

Buying his collection made me realize there is a lot more out there in comics than just collecting Kirby or Ditko...I learned to appreciate the works of other great artists like Ruben Moreira, Bob Brown, Leonard Starr, Nick Cardy, and Lou Cameron..to name a few.

Most of my other DC Sci-Fi's a got just like you -- in dribs and drabs over the years. I am still working on filling the gaps in the HOM and HOS runs (although I am down to just 2 for HOS!).

Bill

Edited by AtlasFan

:applause: That H.O.M. # 85 has been on my buy list for awhile. It reminds me of stone figures on Astonish # 16 and Suspense # 28. Kirby must have had a thing for stone figures back then.

lol

DRX

Ahh, one of my favorite wash tone covers!

Now, as promised, here are a few issues of HOS...

A great Moreira cover to start off the series:

HOS_01.jpg

I just love a good Cleopatra cover:

hos_03.jpg

Nice Gorilla cover with a nice pastel/watercolor effect!

hos_06.jpg

:applause: That H.O.M. # 85 has been on my buy list for awhile. It reminds me of stone figures on Astonish # 16 and Suspense # 28. Kirby must have had a thing for stone figures back then.

lol

DRX

Don't forget TTA #5 -- that's great Kirby Easter Island cover. I would post my White Mountian copy here if this was'nt a DC Sci-Fi thread!

lol

DRX

Don't forget TTA #5 -- that's great Kirby Easter Island cover. I would post my White Mountian copy here if this was'nt a DC Sci-Fi thread!

No, I didnt forget the TTA # 5. I have one also. I was actually refering to the shape of these particular stone men as they all looked very similar. I have also been rumaging through my Strange Adventures. I never realized how many issues had talking Gorillas on the cover and in the story. lol

DRX

lol

DRX

Post away. It's related to a DC Sci Fi book and therefore "fair game."

Ahh, one of my favorite wash tone covers!

Now, as promised, here are a few issues of HOS...

Nice Gorilla cover with a nice pastel/watercolor effect!

hos_06.jpg

The pastel color liquids in the test tubes are outstanding but I also like the subtle coloring of the figures coming through the door. Great Cardy art that enhanced by careful coloring.

It's not flawless but it is pretty nice, with colors in real life that are a bit more intense than the scan. I like that particular issue because it's a DC pre-code horror book that actually looks like a pre-code horror book.