• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

Well, here I go again...This one is one of my new favorite 50s DC Sci-Fi issues. Great Ruben Moreira cover -- and I would say this may be a partial wash-tone to boot -- with great interior art by Papp, Meskin, and some fella named Kirby (there are some really weird monsters in this one).

Great book.

HOM_70.jpg

Lets hear from some of you HG DC sci-fi collectors..I know you're out there!

Bill

Well, here I go again...This one is one of my new favorite 50s DC Sci-Fi issues. Great Ruben Moreira cover -- and I would say this may be a partial wash-tone to boot -- with great interior art by Papp, Meskin, and some fella named Kirby (there are some really weird monsters in this one).

Great book.

HOM_70.jpg

Lets hear from some of you HG DC sci-fi collectors..I know you're out there!

Bill

I don't consider myself a high grade collector, but I'll get them if I can. I have no idea how you find these in that condition, but my hat's off to you.

I'm usually satisfied with a 5.0 without corner creases. And those aren't exactly easy to find!

Its odd. I am always on the look-out for these HG issues -- months and months go buy with out any luck...then just in the last month, I scored about 5 really nice late 50's HOM and TOTU books (all in the last couple of pages of this thread)!

There are some dealers out there that know I am interested and are nice enough to send me a line -- and then I haunt ebay regularly and, once in a great while, find a decent book.

Bill

Yeah, I know what you mean about going through long dry periods. I was in a long one, then found a dealer at the last Mid-Ohio con who had quite a few 6.0 or better MGAs and HOMs. He was asking near guide, and I could have spent a lot of money there. I ended up getting 4 or 5, but kind of wish I'd gotten 10 or 12.

Of couse 6.0 is a lot easier than 8.0, which many of your books seem to be.

Edited by JohnT

I like these three Mystery in Space, part of a large box of goodies that arrived recently.

#37 from May-57 -- pre-Adam Strange. I like the Kane cover -- anyone think that Anderson had a hand in it? Inking? Something about those face masks. Space Cabby and similar feature. Fairly BTH, but still attractive and very readable.

mystinspace37.jpg

#70 from Sep-61, the classic Adam Strange period, even featuring a continuing villain, 2nd appearance of Dust Devil. Get a vacuum cleaner, Adam! It worked for Sandman, right?

mystinspace70.jpg

#88 from Dec-63, the waning days of Adam Strange with a pretty Hawkman back-up feature by Anserson.

mystinspace88.jpg

Jack

Joe Giella is listed as the inker for MIS 37.

Enjoy your reading, those are some great books!

Proving again that I'm not very good at art ID. Maybe I'm seeing Anderson in those face masks because sometimes Giella inked Anderson? Who knows?

Thanks. They're all reader copies but nice looking ones.

Jack

Here is another addition to my HOM collection.

Great Dino cover, with a canary yellow background to boot!

Bill

HOM_41.jpg

(worship) I don't know how you come up with these gems. I really don't. This one looks like you pulled it off the rack.

I've never seen that cover. Very cool Brontosaurus.