• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic store up for auction

18 posts in this topic

There is a local comic store going up for sale pretty soon and I'm going this saturday to preview the inventory to see if there is anything there worth picking up. I'm sure this store will probably have loads of modern comics with very few if any silver or golden books. So I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on what I should be looking out for when it comes to modern or bronze books. I know what I would like to have for my collection but I would also like to look out for stuff that I might could sale. So any thoughts would be great.

Well since you are asking fro advice, I will try to give you the best that I can. If you come across indy comics, your best bets are early Bone and Cerebus and later Miracleman. Those always seem to sell. As for Bronze Age Marvel and DC, you can always sell Iron Man, especially with the movie coming out this year. Also Hulk seems to do well on here, as does Phantom Stranger. I know this is probably what you already know, but thought I'd give it a shot. I know someone on the forum here that would probably buy a lot of indy comics if you had them. :whistle:

Well since you are asking fro advice, I will try to give you the best that I can. If you come across indy comics, your best bets are early Bone and Cerebus and later Miracleman. Those always seem to sell. As for Bronze Age Marvel and DC, you can always sell Iron Man, especially with the movie coming out this year. Also Hulk seems to do well on here, as does Phantom Stranger. I know this is probably what you already know, but thought I'd give it a shot. I know someone on the forum here that would probably buy a lot of indy comics if you had them. :whistle:

Thanks! I didn't think about those indy books. I will definitely be on the look out for those

If you tightly roll up about five or six moderns together like a log, I hear they'll burn nicely in the fireplace for a few hours. Probably cheaper than that Duraflame stuff.

You can sell TPB's on half.com all day long for about a third of cover. Buy a long box of about 100 for $100 and it'll make you $500 in a month or two. Easy to list too, takes about 1 minute per book if you already have an ebay account.

Ed

The thing with moderns is that if they aren't 9.8's they aren't worth shlitz. That being said Miracleman 15 to 20, Daredevil 158 to about 180, Sandman 1 - 3 area few and don't forget Albedo. The thing I'm learning, because I've recently been submitting books for grading, is that 9.8 is an impossibly high grade. Just when you think you've got one for sure, you look a little closer and there's some flaw that knocks it down. And when it comes to moderns 9.6 doesn't cut it. Very strange but that's the way it is. Well I guess not so strange since the only thing that makes most moderns rare and therefore in demand is grade. Good hunting.

The thing with moderns is that if they aren't 9.8's they aren't worth shlitz.

What???

you can sell modern sets here alot if you get them cheap. And they don't have to be 9.8. I very rarely get ANY 9.8's in any shipment Diamond Comics sends. They stink at packing.

Get a set of something like Civil War (7 copies) and put it here for $5-7, it will sell and so on. You may not get cover but if you buy a long box for $20-30 then you can do ok.

People do like to READ comics.

If it's an old store, you're actually better off looking for Pre-Unity Valiants... especially the Retailer Incentive Valiants. Those are more likely to be in their comics crypt.

The thing with moderns is that if they aren't 9.8's they aren't worth shlitz.

What???

you can sell modern sets here alot if you get them cheap. And they don't have to be 9.8. I very rarely get ANY 9.8's in any shipment Diamond Comics sends. They stink at packing.

Get a set of something like Civil War (7 copies) and put it here for $5-7, it will sell and so on. You may not get cover but if you buy a long box for $20-30 then you can do ok.

People do like to READ comics.

Well I understand that and agree but I thought he was specifically asking about buying for re-sale.

Well I'm going to be looking for 2 things. One will be comics for my own personal collection and two will be comics I can sell. I'm hoping they have some statues as well but I wont know that til saturday. I'm asking opinions so I can know what to look for not only to sell on ebay, but to sell on here as well. But even if they have several things I want, doesn't mean I'll pick them up. Someone with larger pockets than mine could easily outbid me. But that depends on how they structure the sell as well.

well, if you're buying a whole comic shop, you won't/shouldn't be paying more than pennies for anything on average, so breaking out $7 sets is still potentially profitable. yeah, if you think you can turn your 2 cent purchase into a $25 comic, it had better come back a 9.8. but if their idea of a liquidation is selling 100 long boxes of moderns for a buck a pop....well, that'll be a tough one unless you can cherry pick

Well I went to check out everything saturday. Probably 50 boxes of comics there but pretty much 95% of them are from 1990 to 2000. I'm still going to go to the auction thursday and try to get a box or two of marvels. If anyone wants me to look our for anything from that time period then just let me know.