• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
24 24

9,311 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2024 at 11:11 PM, Darwination said:

I thought maybe you'd seen this post here over on one of the sales threads

I must've missed that!

Wow, that would be a problem!  Thin cardboard envelopes, and you can imagine the amount of damage that would happen under the right circumstances or "wrong" circumstances.  
That Is great that he took the time to post that! 👏👏

On 6/14/2024 at 6:02 PM, Darwination said:

Been working on this one the past couple days for the pulpscans group, an underrated general fiction pulp title, likely not as collected as some others because of a more subdued tone.  Part of a translated Lupin serial within

a.thumb.jpg.64ec3e40bcb1581ede7e1cf9f542aefe.jpg

Is this a lobster fisherman? Crabber?

That's a Lobster trap om the stern ... a crab pot is made from chicken wire, hog rings, and angle iron. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I guess solo like this you'd just take a trap with you to hold all the live ones you pull up from your submerged jobbers.  No outboard, no radio, no helper, lot of time with your thoughts :D

On 6/14/2024 at 7:18 PM, Darwination said:

I guess solo like this you'd just take a trap with you to hold all the live ones you pull up from your submerged jobbers.  No outboard, no radio, no helper, lot of time with your thoughts :D

I don't know a lot about lobstering, but worked the water in my youth around here. Crabbing, dredging, scalloping, oystering. It's hard work but it can be lucrative enough to raise a family. Not sure how lobsters behave, but they do molt like crabs, creating a softshell phase, in which the entire creature is edible, shell and all. In the winter the Crabs bury up in the mud offshore in deeper water. In the spring they head for the shallows to mate. The male is larger and called a "Jimmy" and the female is called a Sook. Skiffs and bateaus are often used to go up in the creeks, ditches, and marshes. The largest ones are often there, while others will mass near sand bars and channels. Larger boats, called a Deadrise are employed in the deeper areas. You're right about the mindset, nothing like heading out when it's still dark and watching the sunrise from a workboat on the Chesapeake Bay and her tributaries. Quite sublime. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... with crabs, they are often kept in rubber trash barrels, they'll live for several hours out of water. Males are more expensive and typically separated from the females. If a crabber has "Basket Market", they are stored in bushel baskets like the ones used for produce. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/15/2024 at 11:28 AM, Darwination said:

Are you finding these Argosy pretty easy?

Most of them are from MCS, the one today was from ABEbooks.  Not too difficult, certainly less tricky than I would have expected than I would have expected when I started looking for the Zorro issues.

On 6/22/2024 at 7:41 PM, OtherEric said:

Those look like stunning copies as near as I can tell, 1st PKD is probably the highlight.

Definitely a solid lot, not super high grade but a few gems in there, the 12/48 Thrilling Wonder being one of them