• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,193 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2024 at 8:54 PM, OtherEric said:

I think that one might be partly driven by the Lovecraft story with Bok art inside... not all the heat on pulps is cover based yet.

Or it could be the poor man's January 1950 Startling Stories.

FFM_1950_06.thumb.jpg.956fae92b1029bb2a0b2bf5ec5e0b3db.jpg

Startling_Stories_1950_01.thumb.jpg.0aada5dfa0baff2783ffb82f138472af.jpg

I think the interest in these and a lot of pulps are primarily cover driven.

For many years the hard core pulp collectors were content driven. I was always a cover guy. And with the influx of other comic folks who live in the world of slabs, the covers have really driven up the prices.

Pulps will never realize comic book prices but comic folks are smelling blood in the water. Most know nothing about them now but if it says Weird Tales on the cover, they fly out of my con boxes at what I consider stupid prices. 

On 5/14/2024 at 6:50 AM, johnenock said:

After the high price realized on the 3-sided trim with hole in cover in the HA auction, I thought I'd take a chance on this affordable and decent looking copy. Might be trimmed on one side but has WHITE pages:

Fantastic Adventures July .jpeg

That used to be a very common issue. I have owned maybe a dozen copies. Many found at flea markets and antique stores. But, like all pulps, the cheap supply has now dried up. A friend who is not a pulp collector picked up a vg copy at the LA Paperback show a couple months ago for $25. He just loved the cover.

@Ricksneatstuff has a nice copy. I’m sure he had to pay Dave Smith more than I paid for all the copies I’ve ever owned…:roflmao:

On 5/16/2024 at 5:11 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Really like these Paperback/pocketbook size pulps

Pocket Detective 9 1950.jpg

Pocket Western 11 1950.jpg

Six-Gun Western pocket pulps 10 12 1950.jpg

Great cover on the pocket (thumbsu the westerns aren't bad either

On 5/16/2024 at 5:11 PM, Hap Hazard said:

Really like these Paperback/pocketbook size pulps

Pocket Detective 9 1950.jpg

Pocket Western 11 1950.jpg

Six-Gun Western pocket pulps 10 12 1950.jpg

Love these. I only have the two Maguires but I wouldn't kick the others off the shelf :headbang:    All tough to find.