• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,213 posts in this topic

And masked heroes like the Moon Man and the Spider. The spider had some neat interior art too.

bb

2865890909_e2cf40cfc8_b.jpg

I am not sure whether the Moon Man was really a good guy or a bad guy but he was tangling with the Skeleton.

2866723704_879be2c43c_o.jpg

Cover was touched up a little, especially on the bottom right corner.

They must have used the letters from the publicity films as a model for the pulp cover. What year was that pulp?

The pulp is from Feb - March 1942 like this one. It's not Alex working on the cover though but his brother August here.

This is not quite a pulp since it's mostly facts with very few fiction pages but it's a worthwhile having book.

This was put out by A.A. Wyn who also published Ace Comics. Below is an ad for their comic line from the back pages.

Not shown here is Jim Mooney's cover for Lightning Comics v. 2 # 3 with a dramatic bombing scene. BB, do you know what German bomber type is on that cover?

65686.jpg.be98111db7c069a97bbc901c2101b41a.jpg

65687.jpg.54e0e612d41c66a6e0d5d3e43c60e7a7.jpg

They must have used the letters from the publicity films as a model for the pulp cover. What year was that pulp?

The pulp is from Feb - March 1942 like this one. It's not Alex working on the cover though but his brother August here.

This is not quite a pulp since it's mostly facts with very few fiction pages but it's a worthwhile having book.

This was put out by A.A. Wyn who also published Ace Comics. Below is an ad for their comic line from the back pages.

Not shown here is Jim Mooney's cover for Lightning Comics v. 2 # 3 with a dramatic bombing scene. BB, do you know what German bomber type is on that cover?

I would guess that the bombers were Junkers but I would have to check. They were slow and didn't carry a large bomb load. Fortunately the Brits had radar and superior fighters.

bb

The RAF plight resonated with the public in North America and lead to this short-lived series: RAF Aces. IIRC, the title died with the end of the Battle of Britain and the entry of the US forces in the conflict.

The cover at first is not quite exciting but grows on you and Belarski did a nice job on it. It occurs to me that there's a parachute seen here but I wouldn't call it a 'Trooper book though.

65689.jpg.a9ca7060cae82514d2aa30ad17d89768.jpg

Great covers guys. Just one question for anyone who might know out there. One of the Marvel Science pulps that is done by Kirby and Simon has a story of one guy who takes a Serum formula and becomes a super soldier. Is that a Captain America proto-type? is it confirmed ? Is my question clear enough?

Oh you wanted to know what the plane was on the cover of Lightning V2#3.

2865994059_46aa6dff47_o.jpg

I thought it was a Messerschmitt 110. Design of planes for war was new and the Germans had some odd looking aircraft but no superplanes like the cover of Marvel Mystery 44(?).

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Great books, BB... Wanna sell them?

I have some books for sale. These Fiction House are for sale and I have a dozen Wild West Weekly (1935 or so) and Range Romance (1948-51) that I would like to sell.

bb

2868603572_29d218a0f7_b.jpg

2867769823_7bddb46cc5_b.jpg

2867770123_ae4c50d578_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I think I had four issues of Sport Stories in the old box off the back of a truck. This one has a good action cover. The adventure comic has a guy set up to swing his snowshoe like a lefty. Perhaps he was a baseball player too.

bb

2868162421_490d00a317_o.jpg

2869000764_a004323dee_b.jpg

Well,

I have been quiet for a while, so here are three pulps I have added to my collection.

Dwight

SpMystery_1936_02_fcvr1.jpg

Spicy Mystery - February 1936 - Classic Cover - "The Batman" - OW/W paper.

blackmask1-1.jpg

The Black Mask - December 1935 - Bone White paper.

O5scan1-1.jpg

Operator 5 - March 1935 - File Copy - OW paper

Not old (published in 1997). These were limited to 100 copies each and sold for about $10. Great research articles and art featuring the Shadow and other great pulps. Here are Aces 8-14.

The cover art is done by Paul M. McCall.

z-Aces--8.jpg

th_z-Aces-9.jpgth_z-Aces-10.jpgth_z-Aces-11.jpgth_z-Aces-12.jpgth_z-Aces-13.jpgth_z-Aces-14.jpg