• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

The Shadow - "The Gray Ghost" - May 1, 1936.

Classic covered Shadow from the "Strasser" collection! Bottom right is just a printers crease, not a tear.

GrayGhost1.jpg

The Shadow - "The City of Crime" - October 1, 1936

From the "Strasser" collection!

CityofCrime3.jpg

CityofCrime2-1.jpg

Edited by detective35DF

NICE!

is that the copy that was recently on ebay?

Yep, that's the one. I wish every ebay purchase turned out this well. :)

Congratulations, Jeff. :applause:

I love those early pulps. :cloud9:

Do you read the letter columns in your pulps? They're usually lots of fun.

Absolutely! And I've enjoyed reading the ones that you've posted. I haven't had a chance to read the one in this issue yet, but it should be feedback on the first issue or two; that could be interesting. hm

Thanks guys and happy Thanksgiving!

BTW, I showed the Amazing with the giant fly to my four-year tonight -- he wanted to know who made all the sailors so tiny. :)

Wouldn't it be funny if that's what happened in the story. lol

Maybe you should read the story and report back to us. :baiting:

BTW, I showed the Amazing with the giant fly to my four-year tonight -- he wanted to know who made all the sailors so tiny. :)

Wouldn't it be funny if that's what happened in the story. lol

Maybe you should read the story and report back to us. :baiting:

Read it this morning. (thumbs u

The story is "The Eggs from Lake Tanganyika" by Curt Siodmak. Siodmak was the author of Donovan's Brain and a number of screenplays, incuding The Wolfman and Earth vs. the Flying Saucers.

AmazingStories1926-07interior01.jpg

In the story, a German scientist finds four large eggs in a secret vally in Africa. He brings them back to Berlin where they hatch, releasing four giant tse-tse flies which terrorize the city. Since they are tse-tse flies, not only can they bite you in half, but they can give you sleeping sickness as well. doh! The giant flies are finally killed (by electrocution and poison gas) and all is well.

Interestingly, this issue also reprints "The Sphinx" by Edgar Allan Poe, in which the protagonist believes he has seen a giant Death's Head Moth, but its turns out to be a case of forced perspective -- the moth is normal size, just closer to the viewer's eye than it first appeared. So I suppose not all giant insects are really giant insects.

No letter page in this one. Maybe they didn't have enough correspondence yet.

NICE!

is that the copy that was recently on ebay?

Yep, that's the one. I wish every ebay purchase turned out this well. :)

Congrats Theagenes!! I came so close to bidding on it, but didn't due to the seller's page quality descriptions (i think he said the pages were brown)... the pages look MUCH better than the seller made them sound!! (thumbs u

Thanks for posting the interior shot and story synopsis as well! I love this material!

(I'm overdue for a group shot in this thread... I've focused on the Red Circle / assorted weird menace books lately, and have had great luck! :shy:)

I was worried about that as well, and they are definately well-tanned at the edges, but not as bad as the seller made it sound.

Maybe it's time for me to do a pulp group shot too. hm

Have you done a group pulp shot in the past? I don't recall one...

But it would be great to see your collection (at least in part). Maybe other folks will post some pulp groupings as well. I'm going to wait until a few more books come in.

The story is "The Eggs from Lake Tanganyika" by Curt Siodmak. Siodmak was the author of Donovan's Brain and a number of screenplays, including The Wolfman and Earth vs. the Flying Saucers.

AmazingStories1926-07interior01.jpg

Thanks for all the information. I didn't realize that Siodmak had work published in America that long ago.

He lived a very long life (1902–2000) and I remember reading an interview with him in an issue of Filmfax.

He was one of a group of talented men (including his brother Robert Siodmak, Billy Wilder and Edgar Ulmer) who worked together in the German film industry before immigrating to the United States and finding work in Hollywood.

Yesterday I was passing through Jacksonville and stopped at a cool SF bookstore called Jerry's Bookshop. The owner was a lot of fun to talk to and had stacks of pulps and comics - I recommend checking it out if you're ever in Jax. I ended up getting these two:

AmazingStories1926-06sm.jpg

AmazingStories1928-05sm.jpg

SWEET pulps Theagenes!!! Very tough issues... those look to be in nice shape! ( I had both at one time, but they were terrible beaters I got rid of).

The cover art on each is particularly great ... Paul doing giant sea serpents and land octopi!!

You are on fire lately with the AMAZINGs!

Now, tell me about those ebay discounts... :shy:

SWEET pulps Theagenes!!! Very tough issues... those look to be in nice shape! ( I had both at one time, but they were terrible beaters I got rid of).

The cover art on each is particularly great ... Paul doing giant sea serpents and land octopi!!

Thanks Ryan! I'll get around to doing a groupshot soon. :)

Here's the thread about the Live.com ebay refund:

Link

The basic premise is that if you search for an ebay BIN through Live.com and purchase it using Paypal they send you a rebate in a few weeks. It was up to 30% ($200 max) for a long time, but it comes and goes apparently and it's only at 8 or 15% right now. You have to check it regularly I guess. This the first time I've used it.

Thanks Ryan! I'll get around to doing a groupshot soon. :)

Here's the thread about the Live.com ebay refund:

Link

The basic premise is that if you search for an ebay BIN through Live.com and purchase it using Paypal they send you a rebate in a few weeks. It was up to 30% ($200 max) for a long time, but it comes and goes apparently and it's only at 8 or 15% right now. You have to check it regularly I guess. This the first time I've used it.

Thanks for the info Theagenes!! I'm no whiz at that sort of thing, so it might take me a while to figure it out.

Ditto on the group shot... still waiting for a few more pulps to arrive, then i'll shoot some recent purchases!