• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

The few pulps I was waiting for arrived today, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for a shot!

With comics still fetching crazy-high prices, I have been focusing on pulps lately, specifically weird menace-type pulps.

To date i have ten weird menace Red Circle (aka Timely) pulps (bottom two rows), and I finally tracked down copies of DOCTOR DEATH #3 (one of my fav covers), as well as a high grade white paged copy of the SCORPION one shot.

Maybe this will inspire some other pulp group shots? :hi:

WEIRDMENACEgroupshot.jpg

Many of those Red Circle pulps have ads for MARVEL MYSTERY and DARING... pretty cool cross over items. And some of the interior illos are just WILD!!! Maybe I'll shoot a few of those soon.

The few pulps I was waiting for arrived today, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for a shot!

With comics still fetching crazy-high prices, I have been focusing on pulps lately, specifically weird menace-type pulps.

To date i have ten weird menace Red Circle (aka Timely) pulps (bottom two rows), and I finally tracked down copies of DOCTOR DEATH #3 (one of my fav covers), as well as a high grade white paged copy of the SCORPION one shot.

WEIRDMENACEgroupshot.jpg

Many of those Red Circle pulps have ads for MARVEL MYSTERY and DARING... pretty cool cross over items. And some of the interior illos are just WILD!!! Maybe I'll shoot a few of those soon.

Awesome shot Ryan :applause:

I will have to compile a few group pulp shots sooner or later.

WEIRDMENACEgroupshot.jpg

Ryan, congratulations on your most recent purchases. :applause:

I think pulps are a bargain compared to the price of the average Golden Age comic. Plus, the fact that they are still a mystery to most collectors makes them all the more appealing, I think.

That Uncanny Tales in the center is especially attractive. hm

WEIRDMENACEgroupshot.jpg

Ryan, congratulations on your most recent purchases. :applause:

I think pulps are a bargain compared to the price of the average Golden Age comic. Plus, the fact that they are a mystery to most collectors makes them all the more appealing, I think.

That Uncanny Tales in the center is especially attractive. hm

That is a very cool group of pulps Ryan! The themes on those covers are very reminiscent of the recent painting you did for me.

Can you imagine if someone actually had one of the original paintings for those covers? Take that Uncanny Tales in the center for instance. The original to that cover would be unbelievably cool to see. hm

Thanks, Richard. I was afraid no one would ask. lol

Painting.jpg

So absolutely unreal that you own that BZ!!

Ok, maybe not so unreal... based on the scope of your collection.

If I recall correctly, you own one other Red Circle weird menace cover, hmm?? :shy:

Yesterday I was passing through Jacksonville and stopped at a cool SF bookstore called Jerry's Bookshop. The owner was a lot of fun to talk to and had stacks of pulps and comics - I recommend checking it out if you're ever in Jax. I ended up getting these two:

AmazingStories1926-06sm.jpg

Very cool, and struck a chord with me as kind of familiar too! :applause:

70167.jpg.d013f98e08d940ba5178219385a96bb8.jpg

Thanks, Richard. I was afraid no one would ask. lol

I'm nothing if not a good straight man. (thumbs u

I'm late to this thread and didn't poke around all the pages/images, so forgive me if these have already been posted. AFR never got the recognition it deserved. Great authors and some great art too.

AvonFantasyReader1.jpg

AvonFantasyReader2.jpg

AvonFantasyReader3.jpg

AvonFantasyReader4.jpg

AvonFantasyReader5.jpg

AvonFantasyReader6.jpg

WEIRDMENACEgroupshot.jpg

Awesome group shot Ryan! :applause:

You've got some great books! (worship)

WEIRDMENACEgroupshot.jpg

Awesome group shot Ryan! :applause:

You've got some great books! (worship)

Thanks Theagenes! The SCORPION, Marvel Tales (with angel cover), and the REAL MYSTERY #1 have BONE white pages. I didn't think it was possible for pulps. Now I'm spoiled.

So, I think you owe us a group shot?? :baiting: