• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,195 posts in this topic

I've been reading this one. The cover story is about a group of young mutants that are secreted away by an old man to protect them from persecution by normal humans. The group includes a winged man, a guy with eyes that can kill if he uncovers them, a female cyclops who can see for great distances, an evil genious, and a telepathic empath.

Sound familiar at all?

TWSApr47.jpg

Sounds...Uncanny!

Hi Theagenes ,

In the Cimmerian, I was the one who found the copy of "Gent from Bear Creek" and traded it for a group of high grade early Shadow pulps...12 in total (8 pictured).

What was funny is that I had no idea what the Gent from Bear Creek was.

I was told that there was a guy who had a number of high grade 1932 and 1933 Shadow pulps with bone white paper. I did not know who had the pulps, but John Gunnison did, and said that the only way that the guy would get rid of the Shadows was if I could come up with a copy of the Gent from Bear Creek.

I asked John, "how hard could it be to find this book", and John laughed and said that are only 7-8 known copies in existence.

Oh well, I thought I would never get the Shadows. Unbelievably, 3 weeks later Frank Robinson called me and said someone just listed a Gent from Bear Creek on ebay. I phoned up the guy, did a deal to buy it on a "Buy it Now", and then did the trade.

Sometimes things happen in when you least expect them to.

Dwight

crimeuseyes1.jpg

shadowgroup.jpg

MobsmenontheSpot.jpg

Edited by detective35DF

lol Wow, no kidding! I was going to ask you if that was you, just jokingly. And it really was you - very cool! You certainly got some gorgeous pulps out of the deal.

Here is the Richardson copy of A Gent From Bear Creek for those who haven't seen one (the dj is a repro):

A_Gent_From_Bear_Creek_-_DJ.jpg

Also, if you've never read Howard's humourous western stories with Breckinridge Elkins, I highly recommend them. Very funny and very different from his other work. They're told in a tall tale style, but with over-the-top slapstick violence. It's like Pecos Bill meets Kill Bill.

Hi Theagenes ,

In the Cimmerian, I was the one who found the copy of "Gent from Bear Creek" and traded it for a group of high grade early Shadow pulps...12 in total (8 pictured).

I was told that there was a guy who had a number of high grade 1932 and 1933 Shadow pulps with bone white paper. I did not know who had the pulps, but John Gunnison did, and said that the only way that the guy would get rid of the Shadows was if I could come up with a copy of the Gent from Bear Creek.

I asked John, "how hard could it be to find this book", and John laughed and said that are only 7-8 known copies in existence.

Oh well, I thought I would never get the Shadows. Unbelievably, 3 weeks later Frank Robinson called me and said someone just listed a Gent from Bear Creek on ebay. I phoned up the guy, did a deal to buy it on a "Buy it Now", and then did the trade.

Dwight

crimeuseyes1.jpg

shadowgroup.jpg

MobsmenontheSpot.jpg

That's a great story, and those are incredible books.

Not quite as nice as BangZoom's copy, but I still love it dearly! :cloud9:

WeirdTales_1932_12.jpg

Very nice!!! I need to go after another Weird Tales Dec 1932. I have had sellers remorse since selling my copies!! :cry:

Hi Theagenes ,

Dwight

crimeuseyes1.jpg

shadowgroup.jpg

MobsmenontheSpot.jpg

Nice copies!! (worship)

lol Wow, no kidding! I was going to ask you if that was you, just jokingly. And it really was you - very cool! You certainly got some gorgeous pulps out of the deal.

Here is the Richardson copy of A Gent From Bear Creek for those who haven't seen one (the dj is a repro):

A_Gent_From_Bear_Creek_-_DJ.jpg

Also, if you've never read Howard's humourous western stories with Breckinridge Elkins, I highly recommend them. Very funny and very different from his other work. They're told in a tall tale style, but with over-the-top slapstick violence. It's like Pecos Bill meets Kill Bill.

Great stuff!!!

Man that Bear creek is a killer to try and find!!!

Great set of books. :applause:

I've read most of those Shadow stories (the only one I haven't read yet is Murder Trail). My favorites in this group are: Double Z and The Black Master. Those early Shadows are generally better and in these we get to be introduced to the regular set of Shadow agents. They are fun reading. (thumbs u

Very nice!!! I need to go after another Weird Tales Dec 1932. I have had sellers remorse since selling my copies!! :cry:

:whistle:

:D

You know at one time I had 4 of those. doh!

3 came from that one huge WT collection I bought then sold to eccomics. (shrug)

Hi Theagenes ,

Dwight

crimeuseyes1.jpg

shadowgroup.jpg

MobsmenontheSpot.jpg

Nice copies!! (worship)

Fantastic Shadows Dwight. :applause: I love stories like that!

:whistle:

:D

You know at one time I had 4 of those. doh!

3 came from that one huge WT collection I bought then sold to eccomics. (shrug)

I can personally attest that the fourth one has a good home. :)

1932-12fc.jpg