• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,266 posts in this topic

That is awesome Ryan! I've been waiting to see this group shot - congratulations on completing the run. (worship)

(and thank you for hooking me up with a number of your undercopies during your quest :) )

another great reason to be a member of the boards

Beautiful books! Congrats Ryan (thumbs u

Thanks Mr. B!!

Don't you also have the annual? That should be in the group shot.

I do... I'll do another group shot of my favorite covers I have later. Just upgraded my War of the Worlds cover, and most of my favorite Paul AMAZING covers are in my collection.

I do need a nice August 1928 issue (Buck Rogers yellow cover)... holding out for a sweet fine copy! Seems tough to find in grade (but not difficult in good to VG).

That is awesome Ryan! I've been waiting to see this group shot - congratulations on completing the run. (worship)

(and thank you for hooking me up with a number of your undercopies during your quest :) )

Thank YOU Theagenes! Buying my unders have made these other purchases possible!

Thanks Mr. B!!

I do... I'll do another group shot of my favorite covers I have later. Just upgraded my War of the Worlds cover, and most of my favorite Paul AMAZING covers are in my collection.

I do need a nice August 1928 issue (Buck Rogers yellow cover)... holding out for a sweet fine copy! Seems tough to find in grade (but not difficult in good to VG).

You should be able to find that with a little patience. Again, a very cool run.

Thanks Mr. B!!

I know where a SUPER high end copy is, but the asking price is around 5K. :sick:

Thanks Mr. B!!

I know where a SUPER high end copy is, but the asking price is around 5K. :sick:

Years from now it may seem like a bargain.

Thanks Mr. B!!

isn't that always the case

Thanks Mr. B!!

Nope. :baiting:

Each of those covers is incredible. Congrats on owning the first year in such great shape!

I was watching some very nice copies sell on Ebay tonight...dreaming of having the disposable cash to get one. I was tempted to go after this one, but I don't know enough about the market to know what it should sell for. I just love the blue cover and the theme of the scene depicted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250579197453&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks Mr. B!!

Nope. :baiting:
:cry:

Each of those covers is incredible. Congrats on owning the first year in such great shape!

I was watching some very nice copies sell on Ebay tonight...dreaming of having the disposable cash to get one. I was tempted to go after this one, but I don't know enough about the market to know what it should sell for. I just love the blue cover and the theme of the scene depicted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250579197453&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks JohnT! I think that one went for a really fair price. You just never see them in this condition.

Funny story about those pulps you were watching on ebay .... I won the AS war of the worlds cover off that buyer a few weeks back, and randomly asked them if they had a #2 and/or #3 available (as well as a few other issues). They did, we struck a deal, and I bought them. They were from this same ebay batch (which is why there was no #2 or #3 on ebay).

I think I got them for a much better deal buying direct than if I had been bidding, as the same buyer won all of those pulps. Probably would have been outbid, or bid up crazy amounts.

For once I was in the right place at the right time, asking the right questions! Thats about as rare as a full solar eclipse.

Thanks JohnT! I think that one went for a really fair price. You just never see them in this condition.

Funny story about those pulps you were watching on ebay .... I won the AS war of the worlds cover off that buyer a few weeks back, and randomly asked them if they had a #2 and/or #3 available (as well as a few other issues). They did, we struck a deal, and I bought them. They were from this same ebay batch (which is why there was no #2 or #3 on ebay).

I think I got them for a much better deal buying direct than if I had been bidding, as the same buyer won all of those pulps. Probably would have been outbid, or bid up crazy amounts.

For once I was in the right place at the right time, asking the right questions! Thats about as rare as a full solar eclipse.

Congrats on your coup!

I felt like those were pretty fair prices, but then I thought maybe I was getting carried away by how beautiful the covers are in that first year (as a pulp newbie, that was the first time I was seeing most of them). The colors and the page quality looked great (not that I'm a page quality guy).

Congrats on your coup!

I felt like those were pretty fair prices, but then I thought maybe I was getting carried away by how beautiful the covers are in that first year (as a pulp newbie, that was the first time I was seeing most of them). The colors and the page quality looked great (not that I'm a page quality guy).

They were, as stated by the seller, investment quality, so I think the prices were totally fair. As you mentioned, the colors and PQ were top notch. (as you get deeper into pulps, you will discover that page quality definitely becomes an important factor!)

I'm really liking Thrilling Wonder Stories. I just finished reading this one...eleven fast, fun stories of great creativity!

One thing I'm finding interesting is the letters pages. The banter between readers and the editor is not unlike SA Marvel letters pages. In this issue one reader even uses the phrase "Nuf sed" (note the odd spelling!). I always thought that was a Stan Lee original, but it obviously predates the Marvel Age by a considerable amount.

Of course they say Stan was a pulp reader...

TWSApril49.jpg

Very nice!

I recently scanned a few pulps.

SouthSeas1.jpg

SouthSeas1bk.jpg