• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,115 posts in this topic

Navy Stories, May 1929

This title alternated with Submarine Stories for a two year run, and all issues are pretty scarce. I just picked this one up, and it's the only one I have from the run (so far) :) .

SxlrSzqh.jpg

Couldn't resist these beauties :luhv:

smt1_zpsc2rinich.jpg

Nor these :juggle:

smt2_zpsx3yra93w.jpg

SO that was YOU cleaning these out!!!!

What a great batch of Saucy's lately. I picked up a low grade SAUCY DETECTIVE from one of the last auctions.

Thanks guys, just wish I could have gotten more of them. Tough competition.

What a great batch of Saucy's lately. I picked up a low grade SAUCY DETECTIVE from one of the last auctions.

Let's see it :popcorn:

Thanks guys, just wish I could have gotten more of them. Tough competition.

Let's see it :popcorn:

Sorry, it was a SAUCY MOVIE...

s-l1600-3_zpsjq7rigyi.jpg

I also have this SAUCY DETECTIVE, and both are slated for some light resto work... I love these JO covers!

s-l1600-1_zpsejtj4e8n.jpg

Toronto is having it's 20th Annual Pulp show

A small but terrific show featuring a variety of pulp and pulp related items.

25 dealers’ tables crammed with vintage pulp, pulp reprints,

vintage paperbacks and posters as well as other ephemera.

Plus a half-hour pulp magazine cover slide show. A great time for both

serious pulp collectors as well as the casually interested.

Lots of great stuff to see!

Only $3! Tickets available at the door,

kids under 10 admitted free with adult.

WHEN

Saturday May 7, 2016

10am to 4pm

WHERE

The Lillian H. Smith Branch of the Toronto Public Library

239 College Street, Toronto, ON Canada

Lower Level

(just east of Spadina)

fps-s_poster_2016b_zpsrn8iaqhj.jpg

I'll be there if any bordies are interested for a post show beer, let me know, first beer is on me.

Patrick

Something different.

Each is among the list of the first few hundred comics produced. Both are actually each half comic/half pulp. Hybrids from when different publishers were still trying to figure out what a comic book should look like. As such it can be found in both comic and pulp price guides.

Don Winslow was a major Navy recruiting tool during WWII, in the same way that Captain America, Uncle Sam, or Rosy the Riveter were used for the army to varying degrees for the same purpose either directly or indirectly.

The first issue is the highest graded and one of only 4 copies publicly known to exist. Recent purchase courtesy of Mark Zaid through Heritage.

The second is one of only 2 copies known, neither of which have been graded. This particular copy was pictured on the 4th page of inserts inside the center of the 2005 Bookery's pulp price guide I'm sure of which most of you have copies. This one's been kicking around in one of my personal boxes for half a decade.

As far as I know, only complete set of both issues in the world.

I cried like a little person_without_enough_empathy when I completed the set.

Happy to have helped! You got it at a great price! :applause:

Always nice to see a book go to a home that really, really wants and appreciates it. (thumbs u

Edited by esquirecomics

I have a question for the more "advanced" pulp collectors.

My collection of pulps is more on the "casual" side with me collecting favourite covers, authors, artists, etc. so my knowledge is more limited with something being scarce or rare vs my own bad luck at finding it.

So my question is the issue below of Double Detective scarce or hard to find?

9e7167136a9bccb75e495d69b2be85fb969370c4.jpeg

It's not hard to find scans by collectors and I've had no problem finding many other issues of Double Detective with superior covers but I've been looking for this issue for something like 5 or 6 years now. The closest I came was this past year at the SD con where a dealer remembered selling a VG/FN copy for something like $125. or $150. in the past year.

So scarce or bad luck on my part?

Both. (Useless answer huh?)

It's about as "rare" as the others.

Try putting a set together like this and youll get 80% of the set together in a year or two assuming you don't give a mess about condition. The last 20% could easily take you 5 or 10 years beyond that. Not because the issues you still need are any rarer, it's just the way it is sometimes. They are only equally as likely to come up for sale over long sample periods, say 100 year time frames. In the mean time, with some scarce issues, you are basically doing the equivalent of rolling a 20 sided die, and not having it come up number 14, 60 times in a row.

On a side note, that seems to be a scan of a cover proof, not an actual copy of the pulp. Part of your collection?

Sadly, no.

I grew up with my GA and pulp introductions by way of Steranko's History of Comics and it's one of those issues I saw the cover as a kid and always wanted one.

Thanks for the info. though.

Game Stories, Jan 1932

I couldn't pass up this incredible cover. When it arrived I was surprised to discover it's bedsheet sized. And the stories are a mix of fiction and non-fiction.

IZY0GAxl.jpg