• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,115 posts in this topic

I have a question for the more "advanced" pulp collectors.

My collection of pulps is more on the "casual" side with me collecting favourite covers, authors, artists, etc. so my knowledge is more limited with something being scarce or rare vs my own bad luck at finding it.

So my question is the issue below of Double Detective scarce or hard to find?

9e7167136a9bccb75e495d69b2be85fb969370c4.jpeg

It's not hard to find scans by collectors and I've had no problem finding many other issues of Double Detective with superior covers but I've been looking for this issue for something like 5 or 6 years now. The closest I came was this past year at the SD con where a dealer remembered selling a VG/FN copy for something like $125. or $150. in the past year.

So scarce or bad luck on my part?

I love the Double Detectives but only collect the Green Lama issues. I haven't found any are more hard to find than others. They are all hard to find.

pulpgreenlama4_zps6d3e5df9.jpg

Game Stories, Jan 1932

I couldn't pass up this incredible cover. When it arrived I was surprised to discover it's bedsheet sized. And the stories are a mix of fiction and non-fiction.

IZY0GAxl.jpg

We should look so good as that pulp does.Love it T

Game Stories, Jan 1932

I couldn't pass up this incredible cover. When it arrived I was surprised to discover it's bedsheet sized. And the stories are a mix of fiction and non-fiction.

IZY0GAxl.jpg

Hey RedFury, awesome pick up. One of my favourite "under the radar"pulps. Was this one from eBay? I was eyeing a copy on the 'bay, but ended up finding a very cheap copy from England.

Nicely done!

Game Stories, Jan 1932

IZY0GAxl.jpg

Hey RedFury, awesome pick up. One of my favourite "under the radar"pulps. Was this one from eBay? I was eyeing a copy on the 'bay, but ended up finding a very cheap copy from England.

Nicely done!

Yes, it's the most recent one from ebay. It's a pretty nice copy, and I'm glad to have it. Definitely under the radar. I wasn't even aware of its existence until recently. Congrats on getting one too!

Game Stories, Jan 1932

IZY0GAxl.jpg

Nicely done!

Yes, it's the most recent one from ebay. It's a pretty nice copy, and I'm glad to have it. Definitely under the radar. I wasn't even aware of its existence until recently. Congrats on getting one too!

I thought about upgrading to your current copy, but since I bought mine for 4 British Pounds, I couldn't bring myself to spend the difference. I'll try to post my copy soon.

Game Stories, Jan 1932

IZY0GAxl.jpg

Nicely done!

I thought about upgrading to your current copy, but since I bought mine for 4 British Pounds, I couldn't bring myself to spend the difference. I'll try to post my copy soon.

4 Pounds?!?! A bargain at twice the price! Nicely done.

I hit the Windy City show yesterday, was fun, and have a few observations:

- lots of Weird Tales, Spicy __ Stories, Argosy, Western, Amazing Stories -- I am curious if those are the most collected, or simply the most common?

- lots of reprints, I wasn't aware that was such a big deal

- I didn't see a ton of what I'd call "big books" -- as a relative newbie though I'm not sure I'd even recognize them

- to my eye, the ratio of cool to generic/drek seems higher in pulps than comics -- but I think people's mileage would vary on this

- more comics than I expected at the show based on the advertising

- I couldn't stay for the Fri night auction, but walked through the preview room and the condition on many of those books was incredible!

I hit the Windy City show yesterday, was fun, and have a few observations:

- lots of Weird Tales, Spicy __ Stories, Argosy, Western, Amazing Stories -- I am curious if those are the most collected, or simply the most common?

- lots of reprints, I wasn't aware that was such a big deal

- I didn't see a ton of what I'd call "big books" -- as a relative newbie though I'm not sure I'd even recognize them

- to my eye, the ratio of cool to generic/drek seems higher in pulps than comics -- but I think people's mileage would vary on this

- more comics than I expected at the show based on the advertising

- I couldn't stay for the Fri night auction, but walked through the preview room and the condition on many of those books was incredible!

I'd like to get there one day. Glad you were able to go and had fun.