• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,149 posts in this topic

I've also gotten a couple small batches of pre-war Astoundings; this isn't all the covers but it's some highlights:

Part 1 of "Gray Lensman:", the cover is the only place they use the Grey spelling:

Astounding_39-10_zpsasvjljak.jpg

This one was mislabeled, but I'm OK with it: It's actually the British edition. Still want to get the US version, but it's an interesting point of comparison:

Astounding_39-12_UK_zpswwjwwece.jpg

Just a striking cover image, the issue has part 1 of "Slan"

Astounding_40-09_zpsaiuczabz.jpg

Part 2 of "Slan", but the best known story in this issue is "Farewell to the Master". If that doesn't sound familiar, they renamed it "The Day the Earth Stood Still" when they made it a movie.

Astounding_40-10_zpsemnqifxz.jpg

And Heinlein reaches the point where he's writing so much he needs to start using a second name, in just 10 months he has 8 standalone stories, 2 3-part serials, and 3 names:

Astounding_41-01_zpsjkwhvxkz.jpg

Wow, talk about a nice Oriental Stories / Magic Carpet run in one fell swoop! Color me jealous! Stunners, all of them!

Ditto the Fight Stories. These are tough as hell, and even more so in high grade.

Edited by Xaltotun

That's a metric ton of classic books. Congrats :hail:

Wow, talk about a nice Oriental Stories / Magic Carpet run in one fell swoop! Color me jealous! Stunners, all of them!

Ditto the Fight Stories. These are tough as hell, and even more so in high grade.

Well, thanks guys! I'm thrilled with each of them. The collection is really coming along lately. :cloud9: