• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay about to end all sniping?

322 posts in this topic

using sniping software is cheating.

there would be no need to snipe if ebay ran auctions that ended when people stopped bidding, not at a specific exact time.

there is no point in bidding early, someone will just come along and make sure their snipe bid is higher than your current leading bid. so either you lose the item, or you end up paying more. either way you lose if you don't snipe.

good point, and I'm sure at some point, ebay will implement a time extension from the last bid for every auction so that you have another few minutes after the last bid once the auction has officially ended. I know I would if I were ebay.

If you have a couple people that really want it, it becomes more like a live auction.

Referring to higher prices on items that now receive lower bids. Many things that I was able to sell were for crazy money(over $100 for magazine ad for Buck Rogers toy that I couldn't sell for a nickel today, other examples to go along with generally common stuff that yes, sold at cheaper prices) as they were highly inaccessable in the collecting marketplace beforehand.

No my fault you are behind in the times.

:gossip: I was selling, not buying.

Well, you should have realized that times change and not buy anymore of the overpriced krap. Once you satisfy the 10 Buck Rogers collectors in the world, you're done. :jokealert:

:acclaim:

BRgroupshot.jpg

Do you know the other 9 of them personally? <3

Yeah, I keep sniping their *spoon*! :devil:

Myths about sniping, sniping software, and sniping solutions: http://www.moyen.org/snipe/myths.html

Very informative ! Thanks for the link

For once, I agree with you.

:o mods notified

Account hijacked? (shrug)

:wishluck:

French fries :baiting:

Belgian....just like most "Canadian" Beer

It's Canadian with a b@stardized Belgian parent.

Myths about sniping, sniping software, and sniping solutions: http://www.moyen.org/snipe/myths.html

You should have had a b@stardized Belgian parent...would have done you a world of good...slacker

You should have had a b@stardized Belgian parent...would have done you a world of good...slacker

Can anyone be "Belgian" anymore, as it's essentially a non-State? ^^

using sniping software sucks. I hope they can end the practice.

If you want an item...bid on it and sit your tail in front of the computer til the auction ends.

I'm late to this thead and I've seen responses to this already, but how is sniping software different from sitting in front of the computer and bidding at the last minute?

So using technology and automation is bad? Then people shouldn't bid online on ebay and place their bids via carrier pigeon.

Sniping is available to everyone, not just a select few. How is it cheating?

Malvin

using sniping software sucks. I hope they can end the practice.

If you want an item...bid on it and sit your tail in front of the computer til the auction ends.

I'm late to this thead and I've seen responses to this already, but how is sniping software different from sitting in front of the computer and bidding at the last minute?

So using technology and automation is bad? Then people shouldn't bid online on ebay and place their bids via carrier pigeon.

Sniping is available to everyone, not just a select few. How is it cheating?

Malvin

Sniping is not cheating, plain and simple. Only if you're doing it as a shill bid. Anti-sniping software on ebay would only increase the pain in the factor and make it more time consuming and clumsy to bid.

Ebay's software already makes it too difficult to bid in the last few seconds.

Have you ever been outbid with a few seconds left but because you have to type in numerous commands you simply don't have the time to place another bid?

If ebay would do what other sites do -- and allow you to bid one more time with a single click -- then many items would get higher bids.