• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, Is the slowing economy affecting board memebers in any significant way?

47 posts in this topic

Since the economy is on a downward turn, things for me are picking up at work. I am a salesman/consultant for the world's largest office supply company and other companies are looking to save money wherever they can, which is a plus for me.

With that being said, even though I am making more money, I am slowing down on my comic buying habits. I have decided to collect just one title until I have finished the run. I can take the money I am not spending on comics and use it to pay off ALL of my debt, put some aside for investments, and have a little fun money at the same time.

My plant (steel processor) closed down in 2004 after I had been there 11 years. Had to go back to school for 18 months to learn a new trade (healthcare). My collecting took a huge hit & has yet to fully recover! :cry:

Of course, I also got married & we had our first child in 2006 and another is now due in May, so I don't know if my collecting budget will EVER be what it was prior to 2004!! :/

The transportation industry in Ohio is flat across the board. I am looking to other offices in other states to help me get through the next few months. The extra gas cost and food costs are making it hard to save anything.

Don't look in KY, the new governor said we don't have enough money, the Transportation Cabinet leadership spent all the money and all the upcoming money and the consultants will be hurting here soon if not already.

I keep a pretty steady income with the .gov fed job but all costs are going up.

A. Comics: cheap, spent all day today going through new books; sales are all going overseas.

B. Retail shop: unchanged, so-so.

C. Citrus: lots of problems unrelated to the macro US economy.

D. Outdoor Advertising: slowing down, in some places, picking up in others. Mixed bag.

E. Sushi Catering: slow down. Fewer fetes I guess.

F. Custom Glass & Mirror: huge slow down (see: housing market).

G. Commercial Real Estate rental: might lose a huge renter due to his wholesale furniture biz going in the tank (see: housing; but didn't he make bank over the past decade? Don't these folks save for the turn of the wheel?); otherwise, just fine.

H. Printing, medical catalogs: doing great, always money to be made in health care & the ancillary industries.

I. Physical Therapy: booming, car accidents are great; also, see printing above.

J. Investment portfolio with Wachovia, modest loss since the 1st; with Raymond James, same - little worse; with Oppenheimer: those guys are losers, don't give them your money.

K. Rates on CD's keep falling. Hate that.

L. Foreign currency investments: doing just fine thanks.

I'd love to comment on politics but I'll just tick off the boards and bore everyone.

I'm in new media and we're hiring and growing. Pressure's on to keep pace with the industry, but I also own a house, etc., and we're just on the cusp of starting a recession in the U.S.

Some sectors won't feel it, but, on the whole, we're in a recession right now but don't feel it.

Job is fine. And, due to painful lessons a few years ago, I save about a quarter of all my income. But, I'll be doing a lot of selling the first part of this year to raise funds for big comic purchases in the summer.

Things are probably going to get bad around here for many people though. Last year, there were layoffs at the largest local employers, Amgen. Then, Countrywide just got bought out, the second largest employer in town.

In the comic artwork field, I lost a 4 figure 'done deal' on a McFarlane Spidey semi-splash.

However, it was because of the writer's strike, not the general economy. The buyer worked for a TV animation show, which shut down production in Dec..

There are a few TV writers who collect comic artwork.

Best,

Rich

I'm in Michigan... 'nuff said.

Up until 4 years ago I lived my whole life in Michigan, but after being laid off twice in a year and a half and most of the manufacturing jobs leaving the state we had to leave also. It's pretty sad when you have more out of state job offers than you do in state. (shrug) Since we made the move our economy in the Happy Valley has been great. Unfortunately I've just been buying too much this year. Now I have to figure out what to sell or trade so I can get back on track on issues I need.

I'm in Michigan... 'nuff said.

Up until 4 years ago I lived my whole life in Michigan, but after being laid off twice in a year and a half and most of the manufacturing jobs leaving the state we had to leave also. It's pretty sad when you have more out of state job offers than you do in state. (shrug) Since we made the move our economy in the Happy Valley has been great. Unfortunately I've just been buying too much this year. Now I have to figure out what to sell or trade so I can get back on track on issues I need.

Good for you (thumbs u

I think it's definetly where your located on how, or if, you feel the fluctuations in the economy. Here in Michigan, the state has been in a recession for a couple of years now. I've worked at my job for almost 17 years and we're weathering this and will come out on the other side just fine. I can't complain because we are debt free and that definetly makes you breathe easier. So, for me, it hasn't really effected how I collect. Since I don't pour an inordinate amount of my income into my hobby, I'm OK.