• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Opportunities - New York Comic Con April 18-20, 2008

237 posts in this topic

Since the Claremont signing was put in the motor city thread for NY, I thought it would be worthwhile to actually post it in this thread that Claremont is making a NYCC appearance.

COMIC BOOK BOOT CAMP LAUNCHES DAY BEFORE NYCC

All-day totally immersive comics experience includes industry LEGENDS such as Denny O’Neil, Phil Jimenez and Chris Claremont!

LOS ANGELES (April 8, 2008) – The Hero Initiative and Comics Experience proudly present Comic Book Boot Camp, an all day event held Thursday, April 17th - the day before New York Comic Con - that sends you through a crash course on how comics are made! Along the way, you’ll get a wealth of insight and information about comics and the creative process as well as meet comics luminaries such as Top Cow President Matt Hawkins, famed Batman editor and writer Denny O’Neil, top writer Chris Gage, artist’s artist Phil Jimenez and comics legend Chris Claremont!

And if that’s not good enough, it’s all for a great cause! The Hero Initiative serves to help comic creators in need, and this special, one-time only event is a fundraiser for Hero!

The day’s events include:

9:00-9:30 Introduction by Andy Schmidt

9:30-10:30 Publishing In A Nutshell with Top Cow President Matt Hawkins

10:30-11:00 From Proposal to Approved Project with hot writer Chris Gage

11:00-12:00 The Art of Comics Writing with Batman’s Denny O'Neil

12:00-1:30 Lunch Break

1:30-2:30 Storytelling with The X-Men’s Chris Claremont

2:30-4:00 Penciling & Inking with The Amazing Spider-Man and Infinite Crisis’s Phil Jimenez

4:00-5:30 Coloring and Lettering with Chris Sotomayor and Cory Petit

5:30-6:00 Post-Production and Wrap Up by Andy Schmidt

If you’re coming to the New York Comic Con, you don’t want to miss out in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pull back the curtain and meet the wizards of comics!

Seating is limited! In order to make this a magical experience for everyone who comes, we are limiting the seating to ensure an intimate atmosphere. This is not a lecture series; it is conversations with the men that make the myths!

Don’t wait! Sign up now! To register and purchase your $275 tickets, visit www.comicsexperience.com and click on the PayPal link. You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours with the exact NYC location.

Online Registration only! You cannot pay at the door! You must register online to reserve your seat today.

The Hero Initiative is the first-ever federally chartered not-for-profit corporation dedicated strictly to helping comic book creators in need. Hero creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. It's a chance for all of us to give back something to the people who have given us so much enjoyment. For more information, call 310-909-7809 or visit www.HeroInitiative.org .

# # #

For more information, please contact:

Janine Bielski

The Hero Initiative

310-909-7809

HeroInitiative@aol.com

The release indicates that Claremont will be in New York on the 17th (the day before the con). He has not been announced as a guest for the NYCC. If he doesn't go to the con, he has been announced as a guest for the Motor City con in May.

COMIC BOOK BOOT CAMP LAUNCHES DAY BEFORE NYCC

ndustry LEGENDS such as Denny ONeil, Phil Jimenez and Chris Claremont!

All-day totally immersive comics experience includes i

LOS ANGELES (April 8, 2008) The Hero Initiative and Comics Experience proudly present Comic Book Boot Camp, an all day event held Thursday, April 17th - the day before New York Comic Con - that sends you through a crash course on how comics are made! Along the way, youll get a wealth of insight and information about comics and the creative process as well as meet comics luminaries such as Top Cow President Matt Hawkins, famed Batman editor and writer Denny ONeil, top writer Chris Gage, artists artist Phil Jimenez and comics legend Chris Claremont!

And if thats not good enough, its all for a great cause! The Hero Initiative serves to help comic creators in need, and this special, one-time only event is a fundraiser for Hero!

The days events include:

9:00-9:30 Introduction by Andy Schmidt

9:30-10:30 Publishing In A Nutshell with Top Cow President Matt Hawkins

10:30-11:00 From Proposal to Approved Project with hot writer Chris Gage

11:00-12:00 The Art of Comics Writing with Batmans Denny O'Neil

12:00-1:30 Lunch Break

1:30-2:30 Storytelling with The X-Mens Chris Claremont

2:30-4:00 Penciling & Inking with The Amazing Spider-Man and Infinite Crisiss Phil Jimenez

4:00-5:30 Coloring and Lettering with Chris Sotomayor and Cory Petit

5:30-6:00 Post-Production and Wrap Up by Andy Schmidt

If youre coming to the New York Comic Con, you dont want to miss out in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pull back the curtain and meet the wizards of comics!

Seating is limited! In order to make this a magical experience for everyone who comes, we are limiting the seating to ensure an intimate atmosphere. This is not a lecture series; it is conversations with the men that make the myths!

Dont wait! Sign up now! To register and purchase your $275 tickets, visit www.comicsexperience.com and click on the PayPal link. You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours with the exact NYC location.

Online Registration only! You cannot pay at the door! You must register online to reserve your seat today.

The Hero Initiative is the first-ever federally chartered not-for-profit corporation dedicated strictly to helping comic book creators in need. Hero creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and an avenue back into paying work. It's a chance for all of us to give back something to the people who have given us so much enjoyment. For more information, call 310-909-7809 or visit www.HeroInitiative.org .

# # #

For more information, please contact:

Janine Bielski

The Hero Initiative

310-909-7809

HeroInitiative@aol.com

This looks awsome...Wish i could go. :cry:

Friday, April 18, 2008 at 5:15 pm at the CGC Booth (#2333) Stan Lee will be signing! Details are below (including the Hero auction link) but to summarize:

30 tickets for Stan Lee, 2 sigs per ticket, in an eBay auction benefiting the Hero Initiative. (Please read the second announcement following the press release)

STAN LEE AUTOGRAPHS AT NEW YORK COMIC CON

That’s seven letters and one good cause—the Hero Initiative!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

And lo! There shall come…a Stan!

Stan Lee has graciously agreed to do a half-hour signing appearance for The Hero Initiative at New York Comic Con on FRIDAY, APRIL 18 at 5:15 PM! As Stan’s time is limited, Stan has also agreed to let Hero auction off 30 tickets, each of which is good for TWO Stan Lee autographs at this event! Only ONE ticket per household is allowed. ALL multiple winners will be disqualified, and you may bid on only quantity ONE in this auction! But if you’re one of the 30 lucky high bids, you’re in like Flynn, baby, for two Stan Lee autographs on YOUR items of YOUR choice!

The signing will take place at the CGC (Certified Collectibles Group) booth at the New York Comic Con, #2333, and all comics signed by Stan at the CGC booth will be eligible to receive the prestigious CGC Signature Series label. Authorized CGC witnesses will be on hand to accept signed books during the signing. Only comic books submitted immediately after the signing will be given CGC's Signature Series label. Comic books submitted at anytime after the signing will not be eligible for the CGC Signature Series authentication.

Proceeds raised from books submitted for the CGC Signature Series from this signing will go towards the Hero Initiative.

Here’s the five Ws. Yeah, we know they’re not all Ws. But hot dammit, that’s what we call ’em!

WHO: Stan Lee, co-creator of the Marvel Universe, and such beloved characters as Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, and even Fin Fang Foom!

WHAT: A signing appearance with Stan. Only 30 people will be allowed into the signing, with 30 tickets total, max one per household. Each ticket is good for two signatures.

WHY: Because Stan is a jolly good fella, and he believes in and supports The Hero Initiative!

WHERE: The signing will be at the CGC (Certified Collectibles Group) booth at the New York Comic Con, #2333. The New York Comic Con is at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York, NY.

WHEN: Saturday, April 18 at 5:15 PM!

IF YOU WIN…

• Please come to the CGC booth (#2333) at the New York Comic Con by NO later than 3 PM. Bring your PayPal receipt and photo ID to claim your ticket.

• Please return to the CGC booth (#2333) at the New York Comic Con by NO later than 5 PM, and we’ll get this party started, as the kids say!

FAQ:

Q: What will Stan sign? Do you provide anything?

A: He’ll sign whatever you bring, but they must be YOUR items. We do not provide items for Stan to sign.

Q: Are there other Stan Lee signings at this convention?

A: Heck if we know. We’re Hero, and we work Here. You can check out http://nycomiccon.com/ for other con info, tho’.

Q: Do I need to buy a ticket to get into this here convention thing you keep talking about?

A: Yep, and we suggest you check the above Web address for those details.

Q: Can Stan sign three items? Bless my baby? Do the Funky Chicken with me? Go out for a round of cocktails? Beat up my big brother for me? Sweep out a bar in Freehold, NJ if I win a ticket?

A: No, no, no, no, no, and no. Alas and alackaday, Stan’s time is very limited.

Q: Whoo-wee! How much ya think I can scalp my ticket for?

A: Big donut. Winner’s names will be written on the backs of all tickets, and they must be redeemed by the winner. The tickets are non-transferable, and any tickets transferred are immediately null and void, and will not be honored. Fairly warned be thee.

Q: Is this tax deductible?

A: Yes, to the extent allowed by law. The Hero Initiative is a non-profit organization recognized by the federal government under section 501 © (3) of the Internal Revenue code.

Q: Okay, what’s that mean?

A: We cannot legally give tax advice. According to IRS regulations, we cannot determine the value of this donation. That is between you and your accountant. According to the IRS, the amount of deduction is based on the price that a "willing buyer" will pay for your item. Your PayPal receipt doubles as your donation receipt, and will specify when your donation was made and what was paid.

This auction is a benefit for The Hero Initiative, the first-ever federally chartered not-for-profit corporation dedicated to helping comic book creators in need. Hero creates a financial safety net for yesterdays' creators who may need emergency medical aid, financial support for essentials of life, and entrée back into paying work.

For more information, visit www.HeroInitiative.org or call 310-909-7809.

HERE IS THE AUCTION LINK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-STAN-LEE-AUTOGRAPHS-AT-NEW-YORK-COMIC-CON_W0QQitemZ300215153653QQihZ020QQcategoryZ64QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-------------

John Romita & John Romita Jr. will also be signing at the CGC Booth (#2333)!

Saturday, April 19, 2008 from 1:00 pm to 2:15 pm

This will be a limited signing. 5 books per creator, per person. You got 20 books each? Get back in line! (Or maybe talk to Jim about a donation!)

The signing will take place at the CGC (Certified Collectibles Group) booth at the New York Comic Con, #2333, and all comics signed by the Romitas at the CGC booth will be eligible to receive the prestigious CGC Signature Series label. Authorized CGC witnesses will be on hand to accept signed books during the signing. Only comic books submitted immediately after the signing will be given CGC's Signature Series label. Comic books submitted at anytime after the signing will not be eligible for the CGC Signature Series authentication.

Proceeds raised from books submitted for the CGC Signature Series from this signing will go towards the Hero Initiative.

So, let’s recap:

Friday (5:15 pm) @ NYCC at the CGC Booth (#2333) will be STAN LEE

Saturday (1:00 pm) @ NYCC at the CGC Booth (#2333) will be the ROMITAS

BOTH SIGNINGS TO BENEFIT THE HERO INITIATIVE! GO AND BID!

I just sent a book to Chandler Rice at Desert Wind comics for a Stan Lee sig. Ask him how this event works out, sure he knows. Btw, getting Terry-Toons Comics #1 signed by Stan Lee. That should be pretty cool, also fairly certain it would be the only one out there.

Your options for Stan Lee Signature Series at the New York Comic-Con:

- Chandler Rice's private signing with Stan

- The Hero Initiative eBay auction for tickets to get books signed by Stan at the CGC booth

- You go, line up and get an autograph ticket for Stan's signing and you line up for the actual signing - you need to make sure you check in with CGC before the signing to see about getting a Witness to come watch the signing or it won't be accepted for Signature Series

That's it for now.

You can always come by the booth and see if any other options have become available, but based on the above, I won't be able to take books in for Stan Lee to sign at the CGC booth as I usually do and will be doing for other creators, with exceptions.

Hey Chandler...I emailed you before around MegaCon ....was wondering if you are taking any more submissions for books....I am looking to get signed about 30 books this time around....be nice to not have to do it all myself...which i think will be pretty impossible given the sheer size of this con...

let me know

Ray

Ok ok.. Here I am. Been busy receiving books. Please allow me the opportunity to point a few things out.

1. There seems to be a few Stan Lee signing events available but with the following conditions. You must either WIN a auction to have the chance to have 2 books signed by Stan. Only 30 winners will be allowed to sign. And from what I have heard of the other event, it will be very limited to time and I think I heard it will be limited to 1 or 2 items only. I am not 100% sure though. So once again, your chances of getting something signed by Stan is very, very limited. And for those of you that think, "Oh I can get it signed anyway." You probably will be very disappointed when you bring your books for Stan to sign and walk out empty handed.

2. The private signing I have with Stan has NO LIMIT to the number of items you can get signed. For you late comers, I am still willing to work with you. But time is of the essence here. I ABSOLUTELY MUST have your items by no later then Tuesday, April 15th because I leave for New York on Wednesday morning. And they MUST be prepaid. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY OF GETTING YOUR ITEMS SIGNED BY STAN AND WITHOUT HAVING TO STAND IN LINE. Just a reminder that this private signing will take place on Thursday afternoon before the con even starts.

3. As for handling more books for other signatures, please e-mail me at desertwindcomics@hotmail.com with a list of what and who you want signed and I WILL respond by Sunday. It would be possible to mail me the books while I am in New York. But please e-mail me the details. (pinoyboy, sorry for the delay, but it has been absolutely crazy for me the last month. I currently have over 800 books in my inventory and most are multiple signatures.)

If anyone has ANY questions for me, please e-mail me at Desertwindcomics@hotmail.com as I check my e-mail several times a day and find it easier to quickly respond to e-mail instead of posting here on the boards. I look forward to the opportunity to meet any of you fellow board members in NY during the con. Just look for us at the CGC booth or look for someone wearing a Desert Wind Comics Polo Shirt. (6'0" LARGE build with very short brown hair) that is me and for my wife, just listen for the Texas accent coming from a beautiful blonde.

See you in New York.

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Living Legends

Ayers | Nick Cardy | Irwin Hasen | Carmine Infantino | Joe Kubert

Stan Lee | Jerry Robinson | John Romita, Sr | Joe Simon | Joe Sinnott

Mort Walker

Guests of Honor

Michael Capps | Orson Scott Card | Marc Guggenheim | Bryan Hitch

Mike Mignola | Grant Morrison | T.M. Revolution | Alex Ross

Gail Simone | Mo Willems

Special Guests