• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do people do when the books they want are in private collections?

80 posts in this topic

From what I have seen of D27kid, a completist he definitely is. He completes some insane sets of some truly remarkably rare books, but like you indicated, he does set what appear to be realistic goals (collecting nice looking mid-grade books - sometimes even restored).

He is definitely collecting at a completely different level than the vast majority.

As for myself, I have a very limited scope of books I am after, collecting only certain titles, so that really does narrow the field and make a goal of completing high grade runs somewhat of a reasonable goal. Or, at least I like to think so.

but ultimately for me, it really is more about the people, than the books...I have made some incredible life long to be friends, many right here on this board...so Tim's advice of "getting to know" those in the field, with similar collecting interests, etc, will pay huge dividends...not just in potentially getting a copy of a book you want, but in getting to know some great folks that share the same passion and interest you do!

Well said Rick :)

I collect high grade golden age, as I know do some others. As the title indicates, I am wondering what other people do when the issues they are looking for are just not available and/or not for sale.

Do you just move on to something else? Purchase a lower grade filler copy in hopes that some day the book will become available? Surf the net on a continous basis in hopes that the book(s) will one day surface?

Just curious to hear people's thoughts, because I think about this quite often.

I have been in rigorous training for the past 6 months. I have almost completed my course in becoming a dirty scoundrel. I've perfected my lock-picking, pole-vaulting and hanging upside down from pipes abilities. Soon I will be moving on to the really hard parts like explosives and ninja stuff. I don't want to get into it here but take my word for it, there's lots of stuff to learn about being a ninja.

Pretty soon there will be no private collection I cannot get my hands on. :devil:

Back in the 90's my goal was to collect all the DC superhero Edgar Church/Mile High copies. In total there were about 1300 issues to get. Talk about a tough goal. Since each book is really "one-of-a-kind" I was really in a pinch when a book was priced to the moon or the book simply was not for sale at any price! Ultimately I stopped in 2000 as I ran out of people willing to sell them to me at reasonable levels. Pat Kochanek was out of them, John Verzyl was out, Gary Carter was out, Ernie Gerber had sold what he had to Geppi and many of the national dealers were out or never had any to begin with. In total I owned about 250 out of the 1300 that existed...not too shabbly I suppose.

West

In total I owned about 250 out of the 1300 that existed...not too shabbly

Very "unshabby" if you ask me! (worship)

From what I have seen of D27kid, a completist he definitely is. He completes some insane sets of some truly remarkably rare books, but like you indicated, he does set what appear to be realistic goals (collecting nice looking mid-grade books - sometimes even restored).

He is definitely collecting at a completely different level than the vast majority.

As for myself, I have a very limited scope of books I am after, collecting only certain titles, so that really does narrow the field and make a goal of completing high grade runs somewhat of a reasonable goal. Or, at least I like to think so.

but ultimately for me, it really is more about the people, than the books...I have made some incredible life long to be friends, many right here on this board...so Tim's advice of "getting to know" those in the field, with similar collecting interests, etc, will pay huge dividends...not just in potentially getting a copy of a book you want, but in getting to know some great folks that share the same passion and interest you do!

Well said Rick :)

I second that motion. Thanks for chiming in! (thumbs u

Fight Comics 31 and 35.

Stand in line.

Yup. And there appears to be quite a few people ahead of me. I figure those two will be annoying gaps to complete the run in five years or so. I have lots of Fights to find since I've pretty much ignored the Tiger Girl covers up to now.

I have no doubt that certain dealers give certain elite customers first crack at books. Why not give the ones with deap pockets first crack?

Because a SMART dealer knows that many small to medium sales with an occassional big sale over a period of years is a better business practice than one or two big sales with nothing further.

I have no doubt that certain dealers give certain elite customers first crack at books. Why not give the ones with deap pockets first crack?

I am one of those dealers that gives certain customers first crack at certain books.

The reason's vary from customer to customer, but I can assure you it never comes down to who has "deeper pockets". It, more often than not, comes down to someone genuinely wanting the book and letting me know.

I am one of those dealers that gives certain customers first crack at certain books.

The reason's vary from customer to customer, but I can assure you it never comes down to who has "deeper pockets". It, more often than not, comes down to someone genuinely wanting the book and letting me know.

Found my Mile High Wyatt Earps yet? :baiting: I'm not a dealer (thank God) but I can see how it makes more sense to foster long term customers than do hit and runs with new buyers who don't stick around for more.

Glad to see you found the thread Richard. PM Sent

:popcorn:

Actually, in your case it is because of the deep pockets. :grin:

Actually, in your case it is because of the deep pockets. :grin:

I wish :insane:

You know that isn't so terrible of an idea to put a page in the guide. However, since OS doesn't seem to factor in internet sales for CGC books, I haven't purchased one in several years. My gut is that the OS's significance is lessened when purchasing CGC books. Perhaps its use is more along the lines of purchasing RAW.

I do recall seeing a compelling add in OS #34 or 35 about one guy being a collector and be willing to pay more than everyone else.

I rember the whole MH run of More Fun selling for around 45k in the os price guide.I believe the seller was Mark Wilson.

Dennis

I collect high grade golden age, as I know do some others. As the title indicates, I am wondering what other people do when the issues they are looking for are just not available and/or not for sale.

Do you just move on to something else? Purchase a lower grade filler copy in hopes that some day the book will become available? Surf the net on a continous basis in hopes that the book(s) will one day surface?

I have been in rigorous training for the past 6 months. I have almost completed my course in becoming a dirty scoundrel. I've perfected my lock-picking, pole-vaulting and hanging upside down from pipes abilities. Soon I will be moving on to the really hard parts like explosives and ninja stuff. I don't want to get into it here but take my word for it, there's lots of stuff to learn about being a ninja.

Pretty soon there will be no private collection I cannot get my hands on. :devil:

:sumo: Don't even think about it. I've seen the movie.

Shinobi.jpg

Shinobi.jpg

! there goes that idea

Shinobi.jpg

! there goes that idea

DON"T GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS!

YOU ARE IDOLIZED!!!

NINJA

Shinobi.jpg

! there goes that idea

DON"T GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS!

YOU ARE IDOLIZED!!!

NINJA

Well, I do already have the outfit!

Is killing the current owner and then buying them from the widow in an estate sale an option?