• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit!?

19 posts in this topic

Are there any other Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit fans on this board? The Uncle Remus critters are my favourite Disney characters. The "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" newspaper comic strip ran for many years until about 1966 in my hometown newspaper, "The London Free Press". I have about fifty of them.

Here's the first Dell Four Color Brer Rabbit. I've yet to run across a high grade copy of either the first or second Four Color Brer Rabbit.

51250-BrerRabbit2.jpg.953a636a3aa0fad5a7d88f6a6ad59cd3.jpg

Those Wheaties Premium books are super, and they're not that expensive, if you can find them of course....

I have three Brer Rabbit ones out of about a dozen Wheaties Premium books in total.

:cool:

Those Wheaties Premium books are super, and they're not that expensive, if you can find them of course....

I have three Brer Rabbit ones out of about a dozen Wheaties Premium books in total.

:cool:

I think they are cool books too. I have a bunch of them also. This is the only Brer Rabbit one I have though. This one and three others are actually at CGC right now. I think my favorite premium I own is actually a Rice Puffs one, which features Bugs Bunny going into the USMC. I didn't know there was any significant following of Brer Rabbit though! :banana: Post those other Brer Rabbits premiums you have! I'd like to see them.

I was never quite able to read the original story. Of course it translates better when actually spoken but even then, I'm not sure I could recognize this Cockney American. I do love that last line thought "she sot dar, she did, en Brer Fox, he lay low."

You can almost hear Old Man River.

-----------------------

“DIDN’T the fox never catch the rabbit, Uncle Remus?” asked the little boy the next evening.

“He come mighty nigh it, honey, sho’s you born—Brer Fox did. One day atter Brer Rabbit fool ’im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got ’im some tar, en mix it wid some turkentime, en fix up a contrapshun w’at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot ’er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be. En he didn’t hatter wait long, nudder, kaze bimeby here come Brer Rabbit pacin’ down de road—lippity-clippity, clippity -lippity—dez ez sassy ez a jay-bird. Brer Fox, he lay low. Brer Rabbit come prancin’ ’long twel he spy de Tar-Baby, en den he fotch up on his behime legs like he wuz ’stonished. De Tar Baby, she sot dar, she did, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

Are there any other Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit fans on this board? The Uncle Remus critters are my favourite Disney characters. The "Uncle Remus and His Tales of Brer Rabbit" newspaper comic strip ran for many years until about 1966 in my hometown newspaper, "The London Free Press". I have about fifty of them.

Here's the first Dell Four Color Brer Rabbit. I've yet to run across a high grade copy of either the first or second Four Color Brer Rabbit.

I've always been a fan of that comic. I've had a couple, never higher than VG.

I do have this marvelous little Brer Rabbit book though plus this fine storybook record:

I remember that storybook record fondly from my childhood!!! :applause:

I wish Disney would finally turn aside from the political pressure and finally reissue the movie. :frustrated:

I am mostly a Disney Ducks fan, but have considered diving into other Disney characters. I picked this up a couple of years ago and I am pleased to have the opportunity to show it to you all!! I loved the coloring on this issue!! It really pops!!!!

scan0041.jpg

scan0042.jpg