• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why cant I find a high grade GI Joe 21??

191 posts in this topic

There's a huge '80s resurgence now, as people like me relive their early days of collecting. However, will anybody care much about the Transformers and GI Joe 20 years from now? Probably not too likely.

I think the current TF & Joe series are largely riding the wave of nostalgia and not hooking in new fans. I also think the new Joe series is downright awful (may be somewhat influenced by the fact that I met Blaylock at the 2001 Comic-Con and he was an arrogant f***...naaah, let's face it, the new series just blows).

Don't think this stuff is headed back for the quarter bins, but if you're looking to cash in your chips, my guess is that you won't get higher prices in the future than you will now.

Gene

Even though it is a modern book GI Joe # 21 does seem to be very hard to find in high grade. There have been 47 graded, and most have graded lower then 9.4. There are only 6 9.6s with none graded higher. It will be interesting to see if any new 9.6s or high pop up in the census when it is updated. I'm sure there are high grade examples out there, they just arn't available to collectors at this time. They are buried in the back rooms of comic shops, or buried in the inventory of dealers who don't think it is worth their time to send in a moden comic for grading.

Josh Blaylock gave me that vibe too Steve Kurth seemed real cool but Josh did come off as a jerk

Yeah, Steve Kurth and the other artist seemed very cool. Those two signed the two copies of the Joe Convention Special issue that I bought. However, Josh dissed me and didn't sign it. He seemed mortally offended when I asked him when the first issue was hitting the stands - he gave a vibe like, "What? You mean you don't know already when the most eagerly anticipated comic book in the universe is coming out???" Major league @$$****.

Gene

I personally think that because it was a great series and also due to the toys being so popular it will remain a popular and highly sought after title. If it crashes then that just leaves more high grade cheap copies for me! If I tried collecting for profit Id probably already be broke. I dont mind paying ridiculous prices for comics I WANT (any Joes 1-30 graded 9.8) even though they may never make me a profit because I have No plans on selling them. Again...If any of you out there have any Joes 1-30 in 9.8+ feel free to contact me with your demands.

Don't know much about this comic. I actually thought it was scarce in hi-grade after reading some of the comments. Than I come across this: "There are only 6 9.9s with none graded higher". Heh, scarce in hi-grade? Riiiiiiiiight.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Delek...

When I had them sign my copies of the convention special he was a total jerk, but when I came back the next day with my complete Joe run to get signed he was extremely nice then. frown.gif I guess he's only niec to people who show "100% interest" smirk.gif What a way to get new readers! tongue.gif

Hello Rickdogg. You feel like selling your copy in 9.4? Have you seen any of the 9.6s go up for sale anywhere? What did they get for it? Thanks, D-

The one that sold in september was a dead deal. I contacted the seller since the buyer was a NARU. I didn't bid on it with the amount I would have paid since the seller only accepted money orders & had low feedback. tongue.gif

Since we are speaking about Joe books...I'm getting a new batch from CGC next week. I sent it in a few weeks ago and it consists of this:

GI Joe Special #1 CGC 9.4 White (didn't get 9.6 b/c of spine split)

GI JOE #2 CGC 9.6 ow/w

GI JOE #4 CGC 9.4 ow/w

GI JOE #7 CGC 9.6 White

GI JOE #8 CGC 9.6 White

GI JOE #9 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Top census)

GI JOE #10 CGC 9.6 White (Top census)

GI JOE #11 CGC 9.6 White

GI JOE #12 CGC 9.8 ow/w (Top census)

GI JOE #14 CGC 9.6 White

GI JOE #15 CGC 9.6 ow/w (Top census)

grin.giflaugh.gifcool.gifsmile.gifshocked.gif

Those are all actually the lot I sent off to further complete my CGC run of the Joe series. I think I might have found a #3 that would grade at cgc 9.4-9.6 and plan to send it off to cgc with my next batch. I'll definitely give you first dibs on it if you want it.

tongue.gif

1: CGC 9.4 ow/w

2: CGC 9.6 ow/w

3: CGC 9.6 ow/w

4: CGC 9.4 ow/w

5: CGC 9.4 ow/w

6: CGC 9.6 White

7: CGC 9.6 White

8: CGC 9.6 ow/w

9: CGC 9.6 ow/w

10: CGC 9.6 ow/w

11: CGC 9.6 ow/w