• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why cant I find a high grade GI Joe 21??

191 posts in this topic

hey Darth, you seem to be able to get ANY modern book in high grade. I challenge you to find me 9.8s of the first thirty Joes. Ive searched the universe for them and I cant find very much. Help me Lord Darth.

Darth,

I have no real problem with slabbing early comics, but sometimes, you have to wonder on this newer stuff. Sometimes, I think that the market is putting too much emphasis on condition and not content. GI Joe 21 is one of the best damn stories in the series, and that sometimes gets overlooked. How many books do you see that in very high grades command big bucks, but in reality, the art or the story sucked?

With modern coins, I tend to shy away from high grade unless I know that the piece is genuinely rare. I've been burned a few times by buying a piece and watching the populations skyrocket.

And coin guys know that coin-laundromats are a losing proposition. I own my own washer and dryer, thanks. tongue.gif

Keith - I can accept your opinion on this, but you are talking to the wrong guy about not slabbing newer stuff. My simple answer would be "There is a market for high grade moderns, and I'm catering to it" To delve any futher would just nauseate certain non-believer members on this board and I don't want to subject them to another pro-modern tirade and have it degrade really quickly into a old vs. new thread.

Honestly, I slab all genres of books. I just have the best success selling moderns. There are more established dealers in the silver and bronze high grades that it is very tough, IMO, in terms of capital and market to find my niche in those areas.

As for coin guys...you probably own laundromats so you can get the best jump on the shiny new quarters out there tongue.gif College coinguys don't own their own washer/dryers...

The fact that it was such a great story is why its so damn hard to find a real high grade copy. Youre right though, some of the more"key" books have stories and leave somehting to be desired on the artwork too. If it wasnt for the early Joes (like #21) I wouldnt be collecting comics today.

I will look around for you. Rick Dogg is the best source I know of thus far. If I find any, I'll PM you. Be prepared to pay with the Ultimate Sacrifice if I do find them... tongue.gif

Enlisting the Power of the Darth Side for personal gain doesn't come cheap wink.gif

Chromium - I shall shred you into little bits and toss the remains into your chocloate vats. Your destiny will be as pieces of nougat in your Belgian confections... grin.gif

I am a stubborn collector who wants only the best books for my collection. Call me a high number guy if you will but im with Darth on this one. Personally I dont care how other people spend their money,whether it be Gold,Silver,Bronze,Iron,Chrome,Plastic,dog, ect....I am a firm believer of the "to each their own" slogan. To try to change anyones opinion on these posts seems futile, thats why I just kick back and laugh at all the comedy CI and Darth provide me on a regular basis. You guys should charge money for this stuff!

I agree -- it's a shame that this series pretty much died in the issues around 50, when the emphasis was on introducing the toys, and not the storylines.

I sold off my entire run about 2 years ago on E-Bay, and I was only missing about 15 issues, all from the 110's through 130's, all VF or better. Looking back on some of those early issues, those were great stories.

I think my first issue was #15 or 16, can't remember for sure, but the issue where Cobra attacked the Treasury and Baroness was injured in the explosion of a HISS tank.

Darth,

Don't think that I don't go through modern mint sets looking for high grade coins to slab and sell. The modern markets in both collectibles are great, and it's easy for a seller to get started. For my personal collections though, I find most of the value remains in the older material.

So be it Darth....I will cross over to the Darth side if it will get me my 9.8s. Rickdogg doesnt want to part with any of his Highest graded material. My collection is about as good as his but there are some books I still need. I need #2, especially in a 9.8. Of course #21 is a must also. Ill let you know next week what my copy of #21 is graded. I still think a 9.8 is possible due to only the minute corner flaw being the ONLY flaw on the book. Use your power of the force to sway the graders into grading it a 9.8!!!!!

That was # 16! I remember being profoundly touched as a 12 year old reading those stories. Thats why there is such a demand for those issues today. Thats why I want them in the best condition possible. I dont care what they will be worth in 10 years. I dont care if I have to pay above what anyone else considers SANE for those issues. As a matter of fact I hope the prices fall out of the sky so that I can get my hands on all the highest graded stuff for pennies on the dollar!!!

Dungeon,

Correction on that #3 i was going to receive...I'm getting extra copies of #5 & #15 from the same kick collection that I sent off to CGC which received 9.6's and one 9.8. Keep ya posted tongue.gif

thanks Dogg, I recently picked up a collection that I think has 2 very possible 9.8s in them too. Issues #11 and 19. Ill let you know what my 21 comes back next week. D-

I have a copy that may be a 9.6. Its right smack in the middle of 9.4 and 9.6. Could go either way. I dont even want it anymore as Ive been focusing on #s 1-30. Ill probably have it graded and sell it.