• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't believe I got this 9.8 from 1974 so cheap

68 posts in this topic

I just won this Aurora Comic Scenes from 1974 in CGC 9.8 for $37. I tend to bid less than I think comics are worth on ebay, so I lose a lot of comic auctions, but when I win, I usually get a great deal. But still I was expecting to pay more for this. The slabbing fee alone was $30 plus shipping.

Am I missing something here? Was there a warehouse find of these? Because they were only supposed to be found inside Aurora model kits, thus making it tough to find a 9.8 I would assume, because the comic got stuffed into a box.

c8_1_b.JPG

Was there a warehouse find of these?
Yes, I bought a couple of complete sets from a New York dealer a few years ago for around $50 per set. I knew that Metropolis got a bunch of them and they slabbed a bunch of them and got decent dollars at the time.

I think they came available after warehouse sized finds a while back. So as obscure and cool as they appear to be (after 30 years) something to do with their not being real comics for sale on newsstands led to unopened boxes of them lying around.

Am I missing something here? Was there a warehouse find of these? Because they were only supposed to be found inside Aurora model kits, thus making it tough to find a 9.8 I would assume, because the comic got stuffed into a box.

These ultra-HG copies that you find on sale did NOT come from inside the model kits. They`re all from a warehouse find, and there are zillions of ultra-HG copies. I seem to recall it was Metro who got a lot of them, and when they first started putting slabbed copies up for sale some years ago, there was a real feeding frenzy on eBay because like you a lot of people thought that they must be hard to find in that grade. And then the ultra-HG slabbed copies kept coming, and coming, and coming.

more or less, since thats the bid that won it at auction, right? What its really worth however is of course hard to say. Not knowing the history, how much were you WILLING to pay?

My max bid was $60 but that was based upon the seller stating they were rare because they came out of a model kit, etc, etc. He didn't mention the warehouse find info.

I think it's neat book to have, but here's the census info for that issue:

aurora.png

:o Wow, 10 copies at 10.0 Gem Mint . . .

Geez, thats a stupid High ratio for 9.8+ copies of the book... not even books thats came out a couple of months ago have ridiculous census numbers like that. Basically every copy submitted comes back 9.8 or better :insane:

I think it's neat book to have, but here's the census info for that issue:

aurora.png

:o Wow, 10 copies at 10.0 Gem Mint . . .

Geez, thats a stupid High ratio for 9.8+ copies of the book... not even books thats came out a couple of months ago have ridiculous census numbers like that. Basically every copy submitted comes back 9.8 or better :insane:

Even though he is so damn acerbic, The_Question is right. These were never on the stands or subject to the type of handling/bundling that most comics were. Plus they are really thin and don't have a normal slick paper cover. In the interest of full disclosure, I bought a set of six online from Metro, (5 9.8s and a 9.6) a couple of years ago for about $65.

--S.

The cost or value of the CGC grading/encasement does not add "worth" to the book...it only adds cost to both the seller and potentially the buyer...there are MANY MANY books out there in low grades that are worth less than the grading/encasement themselves...you can't take a book worth a dollar, encase it, and then transform it into a book that is now worth 31 dollars...

Obviously for Hi-Grade, rares, keys, valuable books the CGC grading/encasement can ensure and generate excess profit/value...but an average or low-grade book is only worth what it is worth encased or not...

After thinking about ti, I told the seller I really did not want to buy the book and he was cool with it. I explained to him that it was not in fact hard to find in high grade like his auction stated, etc.

I just really didn't want it anymore, it felt too much like I was buying a "modern", even though it was 34 years old.

After thinking about ti, I told the seller I really did not want to buy the book and he was cool with it. I explained to him that it was not in fact hard to find in high grade like his auction stated, etc.

I just really didn't want it anymore, it felt too much like I was buying a "modern", even though it was 34 years old.

You're kidding....right?

what ?

Dek,

Just my take: Never ok to bail on a transaction via ebay just because your research after the fact gives you buyer's remorse.

Perfectly reasonable now for your seller to slam you with a negative, as you wasted his time and he incured listing and final value fee's due to your itchy trigger finger.